Puffin 2

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Postby TinKicker » Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:01 pm

Hi John and welcome to T&TTT! (I've wanted to be the official greeter for a while...first chance...) Have you downloaded SketchUp yet? It does have a learning curve, but it's got some good tutorials that get you started pretty quick. Take a look at my album for the one design I've come up with that I've posted so far.
It's great for my purposes. :thumbsup:
Kelsey
TinKicker
Teardrop Master

CAD program help

Postby rvlifenow » Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:27 pm

Thanks Kelsey. I do have Sketchup7 but can't seem to get going on it. I don't remember the tutorials; will have to look again because that was the last one I tried and did not hang in there very long out of frustration. Loved your design. I have restored a couple of Scotty campers but there is much more work to bring something back from the dead than build a new one with new materials. I will try Sketchup again.
Let's walk down there and get them all.
rvlifenow
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Toytaco2 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:48 pm

Steve, what did you use to seal between the drip cap and the camper wall over your door? Did you use the same thing to seal under your roof edge molding? I'm getting ready to do the exact same job in the next few days.

Thanks,

Mike
Toytaco2
500 Club

Postby steve wolverton » Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:58 pm

rvlifenow - First of all, welcome to the forum. The program I use is a very old program called DesignCAD. I learned it back in college (1999) and I'm still using the same copy. CAD is very tedious, and it can also be very frustrating. I'm not very good with it, but I'm able to get my basic ideas on it. There are quite a few people here that use Sketchup - I haven't tried it though. Sorry I couldn't help much.

Toytaco2 - I use a bathroom/tub/window white caulking. I can check the brand later if you'd like. Almost anything will do, as it's just to get the water diverted away from the door opening.
�veni, vidi, vici.�
steve wolverton
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby rvlifenow » Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:32 am

Thanks to Tinkicker I have searched and found the tutorials for Sketchup. Starting to get rolling on it already. Was worried that it was an IQ problem. Thanks guys.
Let's walk down there and get them all.
rvlifenow
Teardrop Inspector

Postby steve wolverton » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:04 am

I'm looking forward to my 3 day weekend. :thumbsup:

First thing I've done this morning is get the back trim piece on the roof. The trim is a 1" x .5" vinyl strip.

�veni, vidi, vici.�
steve wolverton
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby steve wolverton » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:36 am

It's warm enough to work on the camper outside today.

Installed the trim on the front.

I'm about to pull the wheels/tires off so I can seal any exposed wood with epoxy. Wimperdink had some good questions that inspired me to go ahead and cap off the rear curved section below the trailer. This will keep water/mud from getting into the curve.
�veni, vidi, vici.�
steve wolverton
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby reiltear » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:40 am

Steve, great build, but we don't expect anything less from you!:applause:

Sorry for the hijack, but for the financially challenged or undecided among us, TurboCAD LE is still available for a free download. I also downloaded the training manual as a PDF from a different website(don't remember which, too lazy to search) and if you PM your e-mail address to me, I can send it to you as an attachment.

Hijack over. Thanks for reading.
reiltear
Teardrop Master

Postby Wimperdink » Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:18 pm

that trailer is way too cool. I fear though that this is not the season to sell and you may need to relist on ebay at a later time. I hope for your sake some snipers step in at the end.

Jump in and bid on Puffin II
Image You know a man is on the level if his bubble is in the middle.
Wimperdink
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby steve wolverton » Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:36 pm

Wimperdink wrote:that trailer is way too cool. I fear though that this is not the season to sell and you may need to relist on ebay at a later time. I hope for your sake some snipers step in at the end.

There are a *lot* of people watching this auction. If it sells that's great, if not, that's great. :D

I'm not sweating it at all. If it doesn't sell then I'm going to keep it and take it camping! If it does, then I'm going to have to really work to have another built in time for Spring Break. :thumbsup:
�veni, vidi, vici.�
steve wolverton
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby TinKicker » Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:38 pm

Maybe with this build you've worked out all your shortcuts and modifications so that the next one(s) will go even faster...as if I could conceive of building one quicker than you have! :lol:
Kelsey
TinKicker
Teardrop Master

Postby steve wolverton » Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:39 pm

TinKicker wrote:Maybe with this build you've worked out all your shortcuts and modifications so that the next one(s) will go even faster...as if I could conceive of building one quicker than you have! :lol:

That's a good point. To be honest I'm kinda hoping it doesn't sell. I'm really digging this little camper. :thumbsup:
�veni, vidi, vici.�
steve wolverton
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby steve wolverton » Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:44 pm

The first picture shows the boxed curved section before epoxied in place. The second picture shows the curved area boxed it so water/mud can't get back there, and I also made epoxy fillets for the wheel wells. It has a fillet on the underside, as well as the topside now. As soon as the epoxy dries I'll paint it.
�veni, vidi, vici.�
steve wolverton
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby TinKicker » Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:49 pm

That's a professional job and there's no doubt you got your axle turned the right side up! :thumbsup:
After what you've put into this, it'd be hard for me to let it go too. Unless I already had another one just like it sitting there.
Have you thought about selling the first one and keeping this one?
Kelsey
TinKicker
Teardrop Master

Postby steve wolverton » Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:53 pm

TinKicker wrote:Have you thought about selling the first one and keeping this one?

Not sure what you mean? This is the first one (of this design). I sold the original Puffin on ebay awhile back.
�veni, vidi, vici.�
steve wolverton
1000 Club
1000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques