Puffin 2

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Puffin 2

Postby steve wolverton » Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:13 pm

Hi All,

I'm about to start on my next TTT. This one is called the Puffin 2. It's a smaller/lighter version of my original Puffin. This one will not have a bathroom.

It will be different from the original Puffin in a few ways. It will have a larger bed (60" x 78"), different profile (24" radius on bottom, front, and 48" radius on top rear), it will be narrower (60" wide), and it will have 12" wheels.

I really miss the original camper, but I don't want something as complex as the first one. I will miss having the bathroom, but it will be nice having a much larger bed. I also like the profile of this design more.

I have a friend that is allowing me to store my boat in her garage, so I anticipate that I'll begin this build soon, possibly this week.

Here's the first drawing:

I'll update my progress here. It's good to be back. :)
�veni, vidi, vici.�
steve wolverton
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby stomperxj » Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:46 pm

Sounds exciting Steve... I thoroughly enjoyed reading your other thread. This one should be even better...

Welcome back!

8)
stomperxj
The 300 Club

Postby 2old2tent » Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:16 pm

Steve you're back!
I missed you so much.

I need to build #2 for one of the kids, now I can steal your designs all over again.

Jack
2old2tent
Teardrop Master

Postby Mike C. » Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:27 pm

:thumbsup: It's good to see you back. I am looking forward to watching this build.
Uncle M ( Mike )
Mike C.
our Uncle M

Postby mikeschn » Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:36 pm

Steve,

Welcome back!

We are all looking forward to your next build, and the pictures and documentation that you do so well!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby ATXKJ » Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:44 pm

Okay - I'm confused

you want smaller/lighter than Puffin 1 ???????
not as complex as Puffin 1 ?????

I though Puffin 1 was small light and fairly simple

Although if you're on the same schedule - does that mean you'll have the first pass version ready for camping over the Christmas holidays??
David
ATXKJ
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Wimperdink » Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:18 pm

Looking fwd to this. Just went through your puffin1 build 50+ pages about 3 nights ago and got reinspired to build. I like the new profile even better. :thumbsup:
Image You know a man is on the level if his bubble is in the middle.
Wimperdink
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby steve wolverton » Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:07 pm

stomperxj - Thanks. I'm looking forward to the next build.

2old2tent - :thumbsup: That cracked me up.

Mike C. - Thanks Mike. I hope to do a lot on this build over the Christmas break.

mikeschn - I'll be sure to document. I may try and sell this one to help build a 4th one.

ATXKJ - The Puffin was light, but I want lighter. This one won't have a bathroom, exhaust fan, sealed restroom area, CD player, television, tile, dinette, rope lighting, tongue box, mirrored ceiling, etc. It will be much more simple. As for the build time - I'm not in a big hurry on this one. I'll work on it as I have time. I'm sure it'll be finished before the end of the year though. ;)

Wimperdink - I'm using those pages as a resource for the new build.

Thanks for the welcome guys. :thumbsup:
�veni, vidi, vici.�
steve wolverton
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: Puffin 2

Postby Donutboy » Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:34 pm

steve wolverton wrote:I have a friend that is allowing me to store my boat in her garage...

This wouldn't happen to be one of your Camping Buddies now would it? ;)

Welcome back! Like the others, I look forward to stealing more of your ideas...er...I mean...watching your progress. :D
Jerry
Retro-Kamper
(Puffin for Four)
Donutboy
Teardrop Master

Postby mikeschn » Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:38 pm

I'm especially curious to see how you fit a queen sized bed in there.

By rough calculations, the bed will fill the entire doorway!

:?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby steve wolverton » Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:51 am

Donutboy - :lol: Not yet - I met her after selling the Puffin. She's going to help me build this one, so I will probably take her camping with me.

mikeschn - I'm curious about it too. :thinking: The plan is to place the bed in lengthwise and have it built in two parts. The first part is 48" and the other is 30" or whatever I decide to make the length. The smaller part will flip up and be stowed as a cushion back for a couch. I plan to keep the bedding in the space behind it. At night I'll flip it down, and voila - bed. The front of the camper will have a full counter that runs the width, as well as overhead storage in the front. The back wll be open.

Here's a quick drawing:

�veni, vidi, vici.�
steve wolverton
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby angib » Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:19 am

steve wolverton wrote:At night I'll flip it down, and voila - bed.

I'm dying to see how that will work - you will have to back out the door as you put it down, as the flip-down part wants to go where your legs are.

And of course dressing becomes tricky as you both have to exit the trailer before folding the bed, unless the galley countertop is sufficiently large (in which case it may also count as number 83 in the Kama Sutra....)

I saw a similar bed on a boat and the designer had had the bright idea of splitting all the galley doors into top and bottom halves - so you could still open the top halves when the bed was in place.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:16 am

I think the answer would be to make the trailer 72" wide, and have almost 12" between the wall and the bed.

(Like the Baja Benroy!)

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby RAYVILLIAN » Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:33 am

Steve
Glad to see you back and looking forward to your build.

Could always make it longer the WW is 63" wide and 10' long and has plenty of room for the queen size bed. But than it wouldn't be smaller just narrower.

Gary
Where ever we raise the hatch is home.
Darn blank states keep getting further away and we keep traveling slower ain't never gona get this map full.
111961Image
RAYVILLIAN
Lifetime member

Postby shopfabricator » Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:02 pm

Steve- Glad to see you back! :thumbsup: I saw your '61 Larson on I-boats and have to say it is VERY COOL! You have many talents!

Now that I sold "The Clone", I'll be watching for more idea's to rip-off. :lol: I would have never built it without your "How-To" thread.

I have to atmit that I am stumped on the queen size-convertable-standy-counter-smaller-lighter :? ....formula.

Gary
...materials can no longer be purchaced at quite those prices mentioned here!
shopfabricator
Donating Member

Next

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques