Puffin 2

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Postby bdosborn » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:35 pm

Looking for high end, expedition quality tie downs?

https://www.expeditionexchange.com/tiedowns/

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby steve wolverton » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:18 pm

bdosborn wrote:Looking for high end, expedition quality tie downs?

https://www.expeditionexchange.com/tiedowns/

Bruce

Groovy! Bruce, you're always an excellent resource for the cool stuff. :thumbsup:
�veni, vidi, vici.�
steve wolverton
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby steve wolverton » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:20 pm

Hardware came in today for the shower room. I'm hoping to have it built tomorrow. My nautical buddies will recognize this stuff.

$10.76. Try doing that in aluminum or stainless. :?
�veni, vidi, vici.�
steve wolverton
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby shopfabricator » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:47 pm

Yup! The kit you used on the Larson for the Bimini! :thumbsup:
...materials can no longer be purchaced at quite those prices mentioned here!
shopfabricator
Donating Member

Postby TinKicker » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:08 am

Where did you get those fittings, Steve?
Kelsey
TinKicker
Teardrop Master

Postby aggie79 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:12 am

TinKicker wrote:Where did you get those fittings, Steve?

I'm curious too. Were these bought from a marine supply house?
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby steve wolverton » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:06 pm

TinKicker & aggie79 - Got it at DuckworksBBS. Great site! http://www.duckworksbbs.com/hardware.htm
�veni, vidi, vici.�
steve wolverton
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby TinKicker » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:38 pm

Thanks, Steve! Adding that to my list of invaluable links. Let's see...number six thousand four hundred and twenty.........seven. Got it!
Kelsey
TinKicker
Teardrop Master

Postby aggie79 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:19 pm

TinKicker wrote:Thanks, Steve! Adding that to my list of invaluable links. Let's see...number six thousand four hundred and twenty.........seven. Got it!

:? Yeah, I used to have one "teardrop" folder under my "favorites". Now there are subfolders under teardrop.
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby steve wolverton » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:41 pm

A couple more parts arrived tonight. I'm going to install a 12volt system in the camper, so I ordered some 12volt lights. These are the euro modern camper lights. I like the looks, and the price. I'll place the battery (or batteries) in the very back of the camper under the bed to help offset the weight of the airconditioner I'm going to add. :thumbsup:

�veni, vidi, vici.�
steve wolverton
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby steve wolverton » Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:40 pm

I got the shower room frame attached today. I still have to paint it, but it went together easy enough.

I used 1/2" EMT and a conduit bender.

The 3/4" fittings work well with 1/2" EMT. I came back with a punch and crimpled them in place.

Trial fitting. This is how it will look in the lowered position. I haven't mounted the lower arm mounts in this photo.

By offsetting the lower mounts, they have two purposes now. The hold the lift arms, and they also lock the shower room frame down while traveling.

There it is. It's a little more than 3x3. It's 6' tall, and I'll pick up a couple of shower curtains to complete it. It's very cloudy and gray outside today, but you can still make out the reflection of the support arms in the paint reflection. :D

I will be able to take a shower while standing up (I could even place the solar shower on the roof of the camper and use gravity :thumbsup: ) and use the room as a portable toilet room too.

Found another project a few weeks ago so I'm going to put the boat up on Ebay, and the Puffin will go back on Ebay after my Spring Break trip to New Mexico/Arizona. I have another trip planned for Valentines Day too - that will be the first trip.
�veni, vidi, vici.�
steve wolverton
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Wimperdink » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:58 am

First I must comment, you sure come up with some innovative ideas and make them look professional when your done. Nice work on the shower.

I was trying to figure out how to make a luggage rack for the top of wazat that could be built without welding, and to make it removeable. Doesn't need to carry much weight... That style of fittings and that pipe would be perfect.

steve wolverton wrote:
Found another project a few weeks ago so I'm going to put the boat up on Ebay, and the Puffin will go back on Ebay after my Spring Break trip to New Mexico/Arizona. I have another trip planned for Valentines Day too - that will be the first trip.

Does the new project have anything to do with boating and camping? I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say we would love to get an occasional peek into any Steve Wolverton "project". This otta be a doozy to warrant selling both puffin II and the Larson. :)
Image You know a man is on the level if his bubble is in the middle.
Wimperdink
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby steve wolverton » Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:18 pm

Wimperdink wrote:Does the new project have anything to do with boating and camping?

Here's the new project - neither camping nor boating.

It's a tiny little car. It's a Honda 600. :D Front wheel drive, 600cc (32hp), air cooled, front engine. I'm having fun with this one. I'm going to put an obscenely loud stereo system in it and take it around to shows. :twisted: I've already blacked out the windows, and I have some aluminum wheels on the way.

The camper is back on ebay.
�veni, vidi, vici.�
steve wolverton
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Wimperdink » Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:34 pm

That thing is sweet, but wont pull anything of size to bring a camping buddy. :) I didn tknow honda even made a car that small. Very cool.
Image You know a man is on the level if his bubble is in the middle.
Wimperdink
1000 Club
1000 Club

Steve

Postby Jeeper92 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:30 pm

Just outta pure curiosity what did the puffin two fetch on ebay?
Jeeper92
500 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques