3 AM thoughts - Exterior coverings

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

exterior covering

Postby splitshot » Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:23 am

I have been following all aspects of the Teardrop syndrome for the last two years. No cure as of yet. Only thing to do is build one I guess. Anyway, has anyone tried covering one with Airplane type canvas and paint. Would that work??? Or would it be to exspensive?
splitshot
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mikeschn » Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:32 am

Hi Splitshot,

Welcome to the forum...

Airplane canvas? I recall one... I don't have the photo, maybe someone can help me out. It's a woodie with a canvas top. The first one was in an accident, so the guy built a second one. Anyone have a url?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby purplepickup » Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:48 am

mikeschn wrote:Airplane canvas? I recall one... I don't have the photo, maybe someone can help me out. It's a woodie with a canvas top. The first one was in an accident, so the guy built a second one. Anyone have a url?

Mike...

I don't know about the one you're talking about but Tiny Tears website has the plans for a Runlite which was covered with canvas. http://www.tinytears.cc/Scans/Runlite.pdf

Welcome Splitshot
:)
George
:)
purplepickup
Silver Donating Member

exterior covering

Postby splitshot » Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:37 am

As a novice to the teardrop construction, but not to construction in general, I am not preconditioned to their construction methods. This can put me in a position to be :lol: at.. What about covering the outside with galvanized tin. The same stuff they do duckwork for furnaces with. It comes in big sheets and different thickness's, cheap!!!! and is available almost everywhere??? It can also be painted with the right prep work. Another thing... I haven't seen anyone use treated lumber in the floors of their teardrops. I would think that 1/4" womanized lumber towards the frame with 2x2 womanized framing would work very well. Ok go on an :lol:
splitshot
Teardrop Inspector

Almost forgot!!

Postby splitshot » Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:22 am

What about using double face tape to hold Insulation in place, or any other part that might need holding. :thinking: You can get it at any carpet store. Beats clamping sometimes. and holds very well. To well sometimes. The rolls at carpet stores are 2" wide, but you can get it 3/4" also. Very handy stuff :thumbsup:
splitshot
Teardrop Inspector

exterior covering

Postby splitshot » Mon Apr 11, 2005 11:19 am

:thumbdown: Forget the galvinized sheet metal for covering----The cost of materials for painting is very expensive. That is, if you wanted to paint it.
splitshot
Teardrop Inspector

Previous

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques