Awnings

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Postby DANL » Sat Mar 26, 2005 10:08 am

I used the twist type on the top along the curbside edge and set back about two inches from the edge.

First I installed the grommets into the tarp fabric and installed one twist fastener at the leading edge of the roof. Then I pulled the tarp tight toward the back of the unit and marked for each fastener. I then installed the rest of the fasteners at the marked locations.

When I install the awning, it requires just a light tug as I go from fastener to fastener. This keeps the awning tight against the curve of the roof.

I used three telescoping aluminum tent poles with stakes and guylines to hold up the outside edge. Works quite well.

BTW I used the twist type because I figured they might keep the awning in place better in a high wind. I got them at a local hardware that stocks just about everything one can imagine.
The tiny trailer in the avatar is designed to carry our recumbents and sometimes sleep in. We LOVE having a kitchen in the woods and a place for most of our gear.
Dan Jones http://sunsetlanding.com/teardrop/teardrop_intro.html
DANL
Donating Member

Postby An Ol Timer » Sun Mar 27, 2005 12:01 am

I've always had campers with awnings and so I set out to design an awning that I could get maximum use from without having to mess up the natural wood finish of the tear. I have made it to set on the top of the camper on rubber pads. It consists of 4 pieces of 3/4" plywood which when pegged together will give a place to attach the awning. It will also give me the option of using an awning on either side. Eventually I will use one on each side with the one on the roadside of the camper becoming an attached room when side curtains are attached to it. The profile in the picture is of my camper and so I left off measurements as they would change for each profile. Here is a picture of my drawing for anyone with similar ideas.
An Ol Timer
Teardrop Master

Postby bdosborn » Sun Mar 27, 2005 2:09 am

I just got one of these:

http://www.enelcompany.com/Awning.ivnu

Its a pretty slick setup. Seems to be well made too. The true test will be those desert winds in Moab. I plan to use the twist type fasteners along the side of the trailers.
Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby len19070 » Thu Mar 31, 2005 7:10 pm

:peace: :peace: :peace: :peace: :peace:
http://s26.photobucket.com/user/len1907 ... 20trailers

"If you do good things, good things will happen to you"..... Earl Hickey
len19070
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby kurtibm » Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:14 pm

bdosborn wrote:I just got one of these:

http://www.enelcompany.com/Awning.ivnu

Its a pretty slick setup. Seems to be well made too. The true test will be those desert winds in Moab. I plan to use the twist type fasteners along the side of the trailers.
Bruce

How have they designed the fastening system at the vehicle end, please?

Thanks,
Kurt
It is not the years in your life that matter, it's the life in your years.
kurtibm
Donating Member

Postby bdosborn » Wed Apr 13, 2005 2:06 pm

kurtibm wrote:How have they designed the fastening system at the vehicle end, please?

Thanks,
Kurt

There's a pole that slides into a sleeve along the entire length to keep the awning square. Then there are a couple of straps with buckles to attach it to the vehicle.
Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques