Battery Box Fan

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Battery Box Fan

Postby WhiteleyB » Mon Mar 28, 2005 7:54 pm

I am in the process of building a vented battery box and would like to add a fan. Several posting have indicated that they have installed a small fan to help remove battery gases. How does the fan operate? Is it wired to run all of the time. or do you have to remember to turn it on periodically, or is there some other method? Also, what type of fan is used and where can you get one?
Bob
WhiteleyB
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Woody » Mon Mar 28, 2005 8:13 pm

I have a small muffin fan (1 inch and 0.035 watt) mounted on the battery box itself with a switch to turn it on and off. The gassing is minimal normally, unless deepcharging is required. To top off a battery not much in the way of gassing I have noticed. I did it to remove the acidic gases that come from the battery, to prevent corrosion of my A/C unit which is sitting next to it. It may have been overkill. It works well on air movement across the top of the battery and exhuasting it. Hope this helps
Woody
The Tear Jerker's, Florida Chapter Director
E-mail: [email protected]
Tear jerker chapter site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Check the SE section for gathering information
Tear Jerkers new site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Enjoying life in 12 ounce increments is what it's about
Woody
2000 Club
2000 Club

Battery Box Fan

Postby WhiteleyB » Mon Mar 28, 2005 8:39 pm

Thanks Woody,
Based up your input of the minimal outgasing of deep discharge batteries, I am rethinking the use of the fan. What do you think of just putting vents on both sides of the TD and allow only cross ventation to handle the outgases?
Bob
WhiteleyB
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Woody » Mon Mar 28, 2005 9:31 pm

Where is your battery located? In the galley cabinets? I exhaust my my teardrop cabin into the galley and then outside with a 12 vdc and a 120vac fans dependant upon what power is available which in turn discharges to the outside via a vent in the side wall of the galley. It also discharges the hot air exhuast for the A/C mounted in the galley cabinet when in use on 120 vac
Woody
Woody
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Larwyn » Mon Mar 28, 2005 9:33 pm

The hydrogen gassing from a charging battery is lighter than air. Just be sure that the hydrogen can escape from the highest point in the battery compartment to a safe spark free area (outside the tear). The use of a fan worries me a little bit because of the possiability of sparking from the motor in the path of the escaping gasses. I think I'll just vent mine bottom and top and depend on convection.

On most cars you have a charging battery very close to many spark generating devices. I know we need to heed the warnings of the battery experts, but based on all the warnings it seems that we are all driving hydrogen bombs........ :(

Obviously I'm no expert
Larwyn

Keeper of the Most Out Of Control Shop (2005)

I feel bad for the man that cannot spell a word more than one way. Mark Twain
Larwyn
Mad Kilted Texan

Postby Woody » Mon Mar 28, 2005 9:56 pm

The concetration levels for an explosive mixture are not high enough in a well ventilated area. I seriouly doubt you would not have a "Hindenburg" type experience. Many of us are in more danger of propane explosions than a battery gassing event. A leaking bulk tank or line or small bottle or a valve on the stove left open would present a far greater potential for an accident just by more gas released and concetrating faster. Let alone for a carbon monoxide problem with forced air furnances that are being installed. I think vented battery gassing is the least of our worries. Just my 2 cents worth
Woody
Woody
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Larwyn » Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:15 pm

Woody wrote:The concetration levels for an explosive mixture are not high enough in a well ventilated area. I seriouly doubt you would not have a "Hindenburg" type experience. Many of us are in more danger of propane explosions than a battery gassing event. A leaking bulk tank or line or small bottle or a valve on the stove left open would present a far greater potential for an accident just by more gas released and concetrating faster. Let alone for a carbon monoxide problem with forced air furnances that are being installed. I think vented battery gassing is the least of our worries. Just my 2 cents worth

I think you said it all Woody. My 5th wheel trailer has two 30 pound propane tanks, the motor for the hydraulics for the slide out, the motor for the landing gear, and the battery all located in what is basically one common compartment (it stretches across the entire width of the trailer) and that compartment is located directly under the bed. If I spent much time worrying about those things I would not be able to sleep in it..... :)
Larwyn

Larwyn
Mad Kilted Texan

Battery Box Fan

Postby WhiteleyB » Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:19 pm

Sorry guys,
I had to run an errand and you guys solved my problem while I was gone. It seems that I only thought I had a problem. Thanks for the help!
Bob
P.S. My battery box is located in the galley.
WhiteleyB
Teardrop Inspector

Postby ALAN GEDDES » Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:28 pm

It struck me a while back that I have only needed a battery once out of the last 6 times I have gone camping. I now have a 12 VDC power supply installed that I use for all my power. I plug it in to 110 at campground. If I go to a CG that I know doesn't have power then I will load the battery or if I go to an unknown area. Why carry arround that much weight if you don't need it.
Alan
ALAN GEDDES
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Larwyn » Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:42 pm

ALAN GEDDES wrote:It struck me a while back that I have only needed a battery once out of the last 6 times I have gone camping. I now have a 12 VDC power supply installed that I use for all my power. I plug it in to 110 at campground. If I go to a CG that I know doesn't have power then I will load the battery or if I go to an unknown area. Why carry arround that much weight if you don't need it.

Good point Alan. If there were a power outage at the campground you may or may not wish you had your battery along. I live in a 5th wheel trailer in an area with frequent power outages. I enjoy the fact that having the battery usually gets me through these outages without cranking up the generator. But in a camping situation what do you really need that you cannot get along without for a couple of hours while they restore the power.

In my 5er it takes both the battery and propane to keep the fridge, furnace, water heater etc running. In fact tv and air conditiong are about all that will not run during these outages. I have a small inverter that I could use for the tv but prefer to conserve the battery for the more important functions.

It has been my experience that a battery is somwhat more dependable than a power supply over time.
Larwyn

Larwyn
Mad Kilted Texan

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques