Coupler on the HF 1800

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Coupler on the HF 1800

Postby Geron » Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:59 pm

I kept looking at that funny coupler on my HF and finally took it off and put this one from Tractor Supply on instead. I'm already happier. I'll probably replace those 8mm/3/8" bolts with 7/16 or 1/2" and nylock nuts just to easy my mind while towing.

[url="http://www.hunt101.com/?p=269659&c=500&z=1"]Image[/url]

[url="http://www.hunt101.com/?p=269660&c=500&z=1"]Image[/url]
If it's not broken, you're not trying hard enough.
Geron
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby exminnesotaboy » Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:23 pm

Geron, I couldn't stand that HF hitch either so I had a friend weld a new one up for me. I didn't know Tractor Supply had those or I would have gone that route and travel the road less hassled :)

if someone is interested, pics of the new hitch are on my WWW link below...

btw, I think I bought the same marine battery as you - the largest one at WalMart
exminnesotaboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby Geron » Tue Mar 29, 2005 2:15 pm

exminnesotaboy wrote:Geron, I couldn't stand that HF hitch either so I had a friend weld a new one up for me. I didn't know Tractor Supply had those or I would have gone that route and travel the road less hassled :)

if someone is interested, pics of the new hitch are on my WWW link below...

btw, I think I bought the same marine battery as you - the largest one at WalMart

It wasn't an exact fit - the angle of attack was slightly different. It'll work. I do like your solution. It's very neat and well thought out.

Yep, biggest one Wally World had. I've had that battery for about 2 years now and still takes a good charge. The battery that came with my Aliner was a peice of junk- but. . . it's still taking a charge. I just have to remember to cut it off from the inverter to avoid trickle charging.

I'm really wanting to get this TD finished. Now that Easter is behind me maybe I can.
Geron
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby exminnesotaboy » Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:18 pm

thanks, I am glad how it turned out as well. it is great to hear you are having good luck with that battery - I considered buying an Optima, but for only 55$ at WMart, I couldn't pass it up at the time.

your tear is coming along great. It is funny how several of the Cubby's look almost identical in the construction stages. Of course, we know the differences, but if someone just came by and viewed them for the first time, they could get confused :?
exminnesotaboy
Gold Donating Member

HF coupler

Postby Georgeandpat » Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:37 pm

Geron, That looks good! I did a quick search of the Tractor Supply website and didn't find it. Can you tell me a part number? Thanks, George.
Georgeandpat
Teardrop Master

Re: HF coupler

Postby Geron » Tue Mar 29, 2005 5:36 pm

Georgeandpat wrote:Geron, That looks good! I did a quick search of the Tractor Supply website and didn't find it. Can you tell me a part number? Thanks, George.

http://www.shelbyindustries.com/trailer.html

It's the Shelby 5101 Coupler - This is not Tractor Supply but I spray painted over the part # after drilling the holes. :( That's one thing I liked about this one - no predrilled holes that way I could match the holes in the tongue.

I also think i'll like the idea of a centered tongue jack :thinking:
Geron
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Georgeandpat » Tue Mar 29, 2005 6:22 pm

Geron, Thanks for the information. This seems like the way to go. George.
Georgeandpat
Teardrop Master

Postby Larwyn » Tue Mar 29, 2005 6:43 pm

Has anyone actually had a mechanical problem with that HF coupler? I don't much like the way it looks either but have decided to give it a chance, if it functions okay I'll probably just keep it. Sometimes I go with the "If it works, don't fix it" theory....... :)
Larwyn

Keeper of the Most Out Of Control Shop (2005)

I feel bad for the man that cannot spell a word more than one way. Mark Twain
Larwyn
Mad Kilted Texan

Postby Geron » Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:27 pm

Larwyn wrote:Has anyone actually had a mechanical problem with that HF coupler? I don't much like the way it looks either but have decided to give it a chance, if it functions okay I'll probably just keep it. Sometimes I go with the "If it works, don't fix it" theory....... :)

I can't comment cause I never tried it. I tried rotating the handle a time or two and with carpel tunnel syndrome IT HURT. Maybe just old age and orneriness but I felt I needed something I could KICK shut. I would think it proven safe or HF would be open to some serious litigation.

:baby:
Geron
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Larwyn » Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:48 pm

Geron wrote:I can't comment cause I never tried it. I tried rotating the handle a time or two and with carpel tunnel syndrome IT HURT. Maybe just old age and orneriness but I felt I needed something I could KICK shut. I would think it proven safe or HF would be open to some serious litigation.

:baby:

I can understand that, if that thing causes me pain you can bet I will replace mine too. :)
Larwyn

Keeper of the Most Out Of Control Shop (2005)

I feel bad for the man that cannot spell a word more than one way. Mark Twain
Larwyn
Mad Kilted Texan

Postby exminnesotaboy » Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:20 pm

Larwyn wrote:Has anyone actually had a mechanical problem with that HF coupler? I don't much like the way it looks either but have decided to give it a chance, if it functions okay I'll probably just keep it. Sometimes I go with the "If it works, don't fix it" theory....... :)

tried to turn it once and that was enough - tough, but not impossible. Then I thought about having to do it in the rain and that made my decision. Plus it doesn't allow for a traditional pin lock.

if you end up liking it, i will mail you mine for the shipping charges. I think it weighs about 492 pounds :lol:
exminnesotaboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby asianflava » Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:08 am

I think someone posted a while back that it tightens OK but it is a bear to undo.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Nitetimes » Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:17 am

We used to use them on some of our trailers, they work fine and tighten easy enough, but getting them undone can be really tough. I used to advise people to carry a short length of 1/2" water pipe to get them loose.
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby beverlyt » Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:25 am

Geron,
Thanks for sharing the info on that coupler. I didn't realize they made such a thing. Great idea and we may get one in the future. Maybe we could both bolt it down and touch it up with a weld or two.

I couldn't get the original coupler loose once in place. Bob ground down the original one enough to bolt a regular one over the top of it.

Your way looks much nicer.

Bev
beverlyt
500 Club

Postby Geron » Wed Mar 30, 2005 6:29 am

beverlyt wrote:Geron,
Bob ground down the original one enough to bolt a regular one over the top of it.

Your way looks much nicer.

Bev

Gee, that never occurred to me. That would work fine and use all three of the holes on both sides.

There's a couple spots across the top back where it could be welded. May do that to mine rather than drill another hole in the tongue.
Geron
1000 Club
1000 Club

Next

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques