Side Mount table question

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Postby Arne » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:41 am

regardless of picture, I would mount it so if the leg failed, it would not rip the bracket off the t/d....
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby b.bodemer » Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:05 pm

With the 30" that comes with this table support I cut it into three pieces. Now I have a table for each side that is equal to the counter height. If the campsite did not have a table then the third mount was used at a comfortable table height.

Here's a good pic. At this campsite there were so many people I used the table option and you can see the side table at the counter height. Works great.

Barb
b.bodemer
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Nobody » Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:43 pm

I mounted the rails, as suggested by the mfgr'r, in the same manner as planovet, with the wider piece on the TD, rounded side up. Bought a 30" strip then cut it in half & mounted one piece on each side of the TD using 5 screws in each 15" piece, thru the aluminum siding & the 1/4" luan outer wall with at least a couple of the screws going into the framing of the sides. The smaller rail is mounted on the end of the 3/4" birch plywood table (the 'long' flat on this piece exactly matches the thickness of the plywood). I elected to go with a hinged leg that 'locks' to the bottom of the TD side providing a level surface regardless of terrain, as long as the TD is level. Yeah, I know all that weight is suspended from the side of the TD but, I've used the table to hold a 7gal water jug (approx 58lbs) lotsa times since adding it to the TD in late 2006, with no sign of weakening or distortion of the siding or underlayment at the mounting point. Got plans to build another table to utilize the second strip on the other side of the TD but I'm all out of 3/4" birch ply & don't want to buy another whole sheet just yet.

Harvey -

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Doing the right thing ain't always easy but, . . . it's always right!
Nobody
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:24 pm

Nobody wrote:I mounted the rails, as suggested by the mfgr'r, in the same manner as planovet, with the wider piece on the TD, rounded side up. Bought a 30" strip then cut it in half & mounted one piece on each side of the TD using 5 screws in each 15" piece, thru the aluminum siding & the 1/4" luan outer wall with at least a couple of the screws going into the framing of the sides. The smaller rail is mounted on the end of the 3/4" birch plywood table (the 'long' flat on this piece exactly matches the thickness of the plywood). I elected to go with a hinged leg that 'locks' to the bottom of the TD side providing a level surface regardless of terrain, as long as the TD is level. Yeah, I know all that weight is suspended from the side of the TD but, I've used the table to hold a 7gal water jug (approx 58lbs) lotsa times since adding it to the TD in late 2006, with no sign of weakening or distortion of the siding or underlayment at the mounting point. Got plans to build another table to utilize the second strip on the other side of the TD but I'm all out of 3/4" birch ply & don't want to buy another whole sheet just yet.

Thanks! I especially like the idea of cutting the bracket down. I am going to cut it in half, use an 18" x 36" table, and have it so I can mount the table on either side! :thumbsup:
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.
1 John 4:9-11

My Teardrop build pictures
Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Postby Nobody » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:43 pm

That's exactly what I did Cliff. I mounted the other piece in the same spot on the opposite side of the TD. I've used the table on both sides a couple of times but the 'swing-out' folding table kinda gets in the way (as in unhandy walking around) when the removable table is used on the 'driver' side. I still plan to build another removable table if/when I ever obtain an extra piece of 3/4" birch ply (if I can remember where I put the spare piece of table rail :R )
Harvey -

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Doing the right thing ain't always easy but, . . . it's always right!
Nobody
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby godskid » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:33 pm

toypusher wrote:So, I guess my way won't work then! :thinking:

Just because it has been for the last 4 years. :roll:

Personally I would rather not have any pressure on the part that is attached to the teardrop. If you have a problem with any type of support for your table when it is put in from the up postion then it will put pressure on the part attached to the tear and possibly damage it. If you mount it the way I did and the leg gives out then the table just falls and there is no damage to the teardrop. Just my opinion!!

:) :)
I like the idea of not putting any weight on the teardrop. Plus, 4 years of experience says that it does work. [ That, plus I grew up in Dillsburg, PA and still have family in Mechanicsburg, PA.]

Anybody have a link or a source for these mounts?
Deb
godskid
The 300 Club

Postby planovet » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:58 pm

godskid wrote:Anybody have a link or a source for these mounts?
Deb

I got mine HERE
ImageMark (& Cindi)
Visit our website: Little Swiss Teardrop

I was wondering why the water balloon was getting bigger... and then it hit me.

ImageImageImageImage
planovet
The Cat Man

Postby godskid » Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:38 pm

Thanks -- I just did the same!
godskid
The 300 Club

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:10 pm

This is what mine ended up looking like, with 1/2 a bracket. The bracket may fail some day, but it's screwed into 2x4 lumber, and it will not pull out! I figure it will handle 75 lbs max.

God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.
1 John 4:9-11

My Teardrop build pictures
Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Postby kennyrayandersen » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:28 pm

Joanne wrote:
mikeschn wrote:The larger part definitely mounts on the table...

When I tried it the opposite way, I had to start with the table at 30 degrees below horizontal, and it never stayed up against the wall.

so this is the way to go...

Mike...

I agree with Mike. My side table came out of another trailer and it was mounted with the narrow piece on the wall with the rounded side up. Of course the larger "hooked" piece mounts on the table edge. It's easy to put up the table in place because the "hooked" piece catches on the wall mounted piece, then the table rotates downward and into place. Works perfect.

Joanne

HA ha
OK, so I been looking at this for a few minutes, as a structural engineer (I can’ help it, it’s what I do!:lol:. OK, here’s the deal. The loads on the brackets are almost exactly the same and you can successfully mount it either way! OK, the loads on the small bracket are just slightly higher (when a moment is applied), so in my case, since the trailer will be made from light-weight materials, it’s probably not a great idea to do unless I buried a piece ‘o’ plywood in the sandwich -- then it would be doable, I’d probably mount the big piece on the tear as it generates, due to the fact it is just a bit wider, slightly lower loads when the table is jacked around a bit and a moment is introduced. Of course, you would never want to leave it unsupported anyway, as that would put a heck of a moment at the root, which would try and pull out the fasteners!

Having said that, if you are careful and if the support leg is installed correctly, there is really not much moment on the piece anyway, and the functional difference between the two methods is small. The wide one does look like you might be able to snag yourself on just a bit easier, but I’m guessing that isn’t an issue either – just make sure and keep the bulb end up!
Last edited by kennyrayandersen on Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kennyrayandersen
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby godskid » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:34 pm

I was hoping you would chime in (I read somewhere that you are an engineer). What about the idea of mounting it FLAT side up, so that no weight is on the trailer? My trailer is already built, and I can't add more support (nor even be positive about where the studs are) so I liked the concept of "if leg breaks, the table just dis-engages from the trailer instead of ripping the side off the trailer". I have a Physics background, tho not engineering, and I like the idea for the safety to the trailer wall.

Comment?
godskid
The 300 Club

Postby kennyrayandersen » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:41 pm

godskid wrote:I was hoping you would chime in (I read somewhere that you are an engineer). What about the idea of mounting it FLAT side up, so that no weight is on the trailer? My trailer is already built, and I can't add more support (nor even be positive about where the studs are) so I liked the concept of "if leg breaks, the table just dis-engages from the trailer instead of ripping the side off the trailer". I have a Physics background, tho not engineering, and I like the idea for the safety to the trailer wall.

Comment?

Yeah, OK. You could do it that way if you put the small inside track on the table and then mount the big one on trailer side with the bulb at the bottom. A bit unorthodox, but it would work. Now, keep in mind that all of these tables will have a support leg. So the moment at the trailer is not high (unless the support leg is removed, or at a severe angle). It does make the table awkward, IMO, to install as you have to start with the table down low, insert it, and then lift up to get it where you want it and then somehow get the leg in place (from the side?). It’s more natural to drop the table in from above and lower it until the leg inserts into the leg receptacle [of some kind]. You may also be able to slide the table in laterally, but I’ve never had one of these hinges in my hot little hands so I don’t know whether the tolerances are loose enough to allow that. If you could do that you could slide the table into the bracket and the leg into its receptacle at the same time, which wouldn’t be so bad.

What you do have, regardless (you could mount it six ways to Sunday), is an outward load in the case that you have an angled leg coming back toward the tear. The only way to eliminate that load is to have a leg that is vertical. Of course, in that case it’ would be more easily kick out from under the table and you’d be right back where you started from. This outward load also causes a moment at the root, but generally it shouldn’t be so big unless a camper of large stature sits on it or something.

There is also something else that may not be known, so I’ll bring it up and that’s what do you do if you want to install something into your teardrop after your sandwich-tear is already built? What we do in the biz is drill a hole through the (outer or inner depending on which one you want) skin (in the case of a teardrop this would be either fiberglass, aluminum, or a plywood skin), insert the short end of an Allen wrench (OK, we have a really expensive tool that looks just like an Allen wrench), hook your drill to it, and spin it to grind out a bunch of the foam (a cylinder’s width as deep as you need.). You can then install an insert (threaded internal bolt-like thing) or a through bolt. A low-cost home alternative would be to drill out a ½ inch hole from the inside most of the way – chuck up a ½ inch router bit into you drill and flush it to the Aluminum (or other facesheet material) to the outside and then epoxy a ½ inch hardwood dowel in the hole. Afterward, you can mount whatever you want and it will be quite robust. Anyway, there could be several versions to this concept and it can be done without messing up the exterior of you tear.
kennyrayandersen
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby godskid » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:55 pm

kennyrayandersen wrote:Yeah, OK. You could do it that way if you put the small inside track on the table and then mount the big one on trailer side with the bulb at the bottom. A bit unorthodox, but it would work. Now, keep in mind that all of these tables will have a support leg. So the moment at the trailer is not high (unless the support leg is removed, or at a severe angle). It does make the table awkward, IMO, to install as you have to start with the table down low, insert it, and then lift up to get it where you want it and then somehow get the leg in place (from the side?).

Thanks! My table is fitted with a retractable mono-pod camera leg, so it starts short and swings into place .... then you lengthen it as needed. (thanks xrover for that table & leg!) I'll give this a go.
godskid
The 300 Club

Postby bobhenry » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:12 am

godskid wrote:
Thanks! My table is fitted with a retractable mono-pod camera leg, so it starts short and swings into place .... then you lengthen it as needed. (thanks xrover for that table & leg!) I'll give this a go.

Mine is a mono " leg" :lol:

and it really worked :applause:

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby kennyrayandersen » Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:57 am

bobhenry wrote:
godskid wrote:

Mine is a mono " leg" :lol:

Hopefully your insurance covered that! :lol: :lol:
kennyrayandersen
1000 Club
1000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques