Spar Varnish Opinion

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Spar Varnish Opinion

Postby Mike Ahern » Tue Apr 05, 2005 7:07 pm

Any opinions on type of finish to use on inside of teardrop, I am concerned with varnish in a small or confined area being toxic. Would epoxy be a better way to go. :(
Mike Ahern
Donating Member

Postby SteveH » Tue Apr 05, 2005 7:42 pm

Mike,

I think only the fumes are harmful while the varnish is drying. After that, you should be OK as long as you don't chew it off the walls and swallow it! ;)

And, welcome to the forum.
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Steve Frederick » Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:27 pm

Actually, epoxy is very dangerous stuff! The vapors are toxic, and can cause a sort of respiratory condition. The uncured epoxy is toxic to the skin too! you can develop a hypersensitivity over time. I wear gloves and a good organic vapor respirator when working with the wet stuff. I wear the respirator for sanding too!
Varnish is much more "user friendly" But, epoxy is a necessesary component to the way I build..Just work carefully!! ;)
Blessings, Steve
Adirondacks, Upstate New York
Building Journals
The Shop Manual's 8-years old!! Thank's everyone!
New! 'Rondack Lodge Plans!Order Here!
Steve Frederick
Custom Teardrop Builder

Location: Upstate New York, Adirondacks (Great Sacandaga Lake)

Postby Rickxr2 » Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:37 pm

If you are concerned about toxic fumes during the application, varnish is the safer way to go. Epoxy in a confined area without the proper respirator is dangerous. Even with varnish, use plenty of ventilation. Don't bother with the little white mask at the dollar store. An organic cartridge respirator should be your minimum in an enclosed area.

Rick
Image Image Image
Rickxr2
The 300 Club

Postby Steve Frederick » Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:47 pm

Rickxr2 wrote:If you are concerned about toxic fumes during the application, varnish is the safer way to go. Epoxy in a confined area without the proper respirator is dangerous. Even with varnish, use plenty of ventilation. Don't bother with the little white mask at the dollar store. An organic cartridge respirator should be your minimum in an enclosed area.

Rick

AMEN!! A good respirator is a great investment!! Image
Mine is an AO Safety organic cartridge mask. It works great! when used, I cannot smell anything...except what I had for lunch!! :?
Blessings, Steve
Adirondacks, Upstate New York
Building Journals
The Shop Manual's 8-years old!! Thank's everyone!
New! 'Rondack Lodge Plans!Order Here!
Steve Frederick
Custom Teardrop Builder

Location: Upstate New York, Adirondacks (Great Sacandaga Lake)

Postby doug hodder » Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:29 pm

I use epoxy pretty much for glueing applications, and for top coating exterior surfaces. On the interior of my tear I used a polyurethane. I wanted something waterproof, and cheaper than epoxy that I could shoot through a spray gun. I used oil base so it needs to cure really well, prior to sleeping in it. Epoxy is best used on exterior applications, for a surface coat. It really isn't cost effective on the interior. I used cheap lacquer to seal off the interior ply and then shot polyurethane on top of it. Your best use for epoxy is to stop the water on the exterior. When I mix up batches or epoxy, I apply any leftofers to the exterior of the interior skin especially near the ceiling fan and any other place that might have a penetration. I remembered where my original 49 kit had separated on the ceiling near the sides and coated them out on this one. When applying epoxy to large surfaces with a roller, I don't use a mask, but have several fans moving air through the shop so that it vents well. I also move a ton of air across the surface when I sand it, as the dust will clog up a sander dust system quickly as well as your lungs. Make sure it cures well prior to sanding or you'll waste sand paper. On the interior, varnish isn't going to require the maintenance like on the exterior. For me though, I didn't want it all gloss. Just my opinion. Doug Hodder
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Spar Varnish Opinion Thanks

Postby Mike Ahern » Wed Apr 06, 2005 6:29 pm

Thanks for the opinions on the different finishes to use on the inside of my teardrop. It looks like varnish is the safest way to go, now all I have to do is get it done in time fot Nebraska. :thumbsup:
Mike Ahern
Donating Member

Postby angib » Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:47 am

Steve Frederick wrote:Actually, epoxy is very dangerous stuff! ..... Varnish is much more "user friendly"

Having spent several years working in a shop that laminated in epoxy, I would disagree with most of the more 'dramatic' comments you've made, Steve.

Epoxy is no more 'toxic' than other laminating materials - and indeed is much less of a problem than most. For example, epoxy vapour is not a problem to breathe or an explosion/fire risk, unlike polyester resin (styrene) or varnish (organic solvents).

Long term vapour exposure (eg, daily for a period of months or years) can produce breathing sensitivity in a few individuals - this gives symptoms rather like asthma and the only cure is to avoid exposure to epoxy vapour from then on. Modern phenol-free hardeners seem to be less of a problem for this.

Certainly you should not allow epoxy to come into contact with your skin as it may cause an allergic skin reaction in a few individuals - this is the only important safety restriction.

Incidentally, being of Portugese origin seems to exclude you from both these risks!

Cured epoxy dust, like all laminate dusts, is a 'nuisance' material but it poses no health risk - of course it is sensible not to fill your nasal and bronchial passages with it and so a simple dust mask should be worn when sanding.

And let's put all this in perspective - wood dust from many hardwoods (the mahogany family seem to be the worst) is a proven (carcinogenic) health risk and these must never be sawn or sanded without breathing protection. Similarly, used engine oil can cause dermatitis or skin cancer and should not be allowed to come into contact with your skin.

If I had a penny (OK, a cent!) for every person who told me the 'dire consequences' of working with just about any laminating material, but who themselves completely ignored the known dangers of working with wood or oil, I'd be a rich man.

The belief that 'natural' is good and man-made is bad is great if you're marketing bottled water or many other consumer products, but let's not confuse this with scientific evidence! :x

I must get off my soapbox now as I'm getting vertigo from the height and my voice is going hoarse with the lecturing tone I've been using....

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques