Degreasing

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Degreasing

Postby TomS » Sat Apr 09, 2005 5:06 pm

Before I paint my frame, I need to clean it up and remove the oil I used to lubricate my drill bit when cutting the bolt holes. Any recommendations. I have some acetone. Will that work?
Tom Swenson
[email protected]
TomS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Geron » Sat Apr 09, 2005 7:09 pm

Goo Off or Goo Gone from Wally world or HD. Probably safer than Acetone. You can even get the water base instead of petroleum base. Does a good job cleaning up most things. :thinking: Maybe??

Dawn dish detergent?? :) It saves the ducks :lol:

Geron
If it's not broken, you're not trying hard enough.
Geron
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Bill_Storey » Sat Apr 09, 2005 7:16 pm

Dawn dish wash soap, spray carbuerator cleaner, alcohol, or go to an automotive paint dealer and get wax and grease remover.
Bill_Storey
Teardrop Advisor

Postby ceebe » Sat Apr 09, 2005 10:38 pm

I've always used Tide in a bucket of hot water.
ceebe
Teardrop Master

Postby madjack » Sat Apr 09, 2005 11:15 pm

...remember, before painting raw steel to wash the whole thing down...I prefer using lacquer thinner and a handfull of rags. After cleaning, use a scuff pad on all raw steel and wipe down with a dry cloth or just blow it off. Some acid etch primer and about 3 coats of industrial balck and ther ya go
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby doug hodder » Sun Apr 10, 2005 8:51 pm

I use lacquer thinner to clean the frame on raw steel prior to painting. It's cheaper than acetone, not nearly as tough on your body. Paint thinner isn't as "hot" as lacquer thinner and doesn't cut the oil as quickly and will not cut it as well. In fact, prior to cutting any material, I wipe it all down as it's easier to do while in full sticks, but you gotta keep them out of the humidity as they will rust fairly quickly. Just my opinion. Doug Hodder
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby asianflava » Sun Apr 10, 2005 11:12 pm

Dawn will probably work out since, "it cuts the grease" as the ads say. We used to use lacquer thinner but that was (like Doug said) on raw unpainted metal. It may melt your paint (depending on what kind it is) and make a big mess. Maybe you can try a test spot, or you may not care what it will look like since you are painting it.

Another product we used was an R-M product called prekleeno. It was specifically made to remove waxes and mold release. I looked at the ingredients and it said that it was Aliphatic Naptha and Alcohol. You can get Naptha at the Depot.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby SteveH » Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:02 am

There is a product you can buy at a NAPA store called Final Wash. It is used as a degreaser/ wax remover. Automotive painters use it to wash down a car right before painting and will remove all grease, even hand print grease, and all wax including silicone. I use it on all painted surfaces before repainting.
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby AmyH » Mon Apr 11, 2005 1:34 pm

Ya know, I tried using Dawn dish liquid to clean up the raw steel for my frame, figuring it was better for the environment, but I ended up having to switch to something a little more powerful. Dawn takes a LOT of work! I did hear from one of my welding instructors that taking the steel to a car wash and spraying it down there works pretty darned well, but that always seemed like a bit of a hassle to me.

Amy :)
Amy
"...follow humbly whereever and to whatever abyss Nature leads, or else you shall learn nothing." T.H. Huxley

Photo Log
Camping Trips with the Tear
AmyH
*The 300 Club

Postby TomS » Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:47 pm

I don't know why I didn't think of this before. I use a citrus degreaser similar to this to clean the drivechains on my bicycles.

http://www.parktool.com/tools/CB_2.shtml

Believe me, there's nothing grimier and greasier than a dirty bike chain. I don't see why it wouldn't work for dereasing my trailer frame.
Tom Swenson
[email protected]
TomS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby DestinDave » Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:29 am

You also want to be sure and get all soap film off the metal. Any metal polishing I've done (on boats) or prep for painting I've used a diluted isopropyl alcohol/distilled water rinse. 2 or 3 parts water to 1 part alcohol and just spray it on with a spray bottle. Also gets off fingerprint oils. Let it air dry or wipe dry with plain white paper towels. Dave...
Reality? What a concept!
Building "The Salty Tear" - a photo log of the project.
http://www.bluezenphoto.com/p979644357
DestinDave
500 Club

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques