Sealing the outer wood...?

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Postby The R/C Man » Fri Apr 15, 2005 5:23 am

About skinning the tear..... :lol:
I notice that many people use aluminum. Doesn't that retain a lot of heat? It does look good though........
Greg

Over time science has shown that the simplest answers are usually the correct ones.......
The R/C Man
Teardrop Master

Postby lmh222 » Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:27 pm

YIKES my simple little project has really been taking on a life of its own! First, I just wanted a simple teardrop. Then, I decided that it would be REALLY cool to have a "woodie" tear....but of course, then, I was too picky to just use regular plywood... I did some research and found a place fairly close to me that sells marine-grade hardwood plywood in 1/8" thickness. I bought several sheets of okoume.

My plan is to start with 3/4" walls and cut holes out so that the walls resemble a stick-built frame. This will also give me some space for insullation. Then, I'll skin the frame with the okoume.

Actually, I'm planning to skin the interior side of each wall, then attach the walls to the trailer and put a ton of messy screw holes in when I install the roof spars and cabinets. It will be SOOO nice to not have to worry about covering all of the screw holes because I'll just put the exterior okoume skin on last.

The point of that fairly long description is that I've spent SO MUCH money on the wood that now I want to find the absolute best way to protect it. I'm nervous about fiberglass because I've never worked with it before and I'm afraid that my inexperience will show.

I've been to Steve Frederick's woodworking page and it is just amazing. http://www.steve-frederick.com/index.html His work is incredible! I noticed that he seemed to say that he did an initial layer of fiberglass/epoxy followed by "filler" layer of epoxy and then several coats of polyeurethane. I was worried about incompatibility between different products. Do you know if that is a common practice to put poly over fiberglass.

One last question - does fiberglass provide a UV protectant barrier or is it important to get a poly that will provide the UV barrier?? I was thinking Helmsman Spar exterior but I know that they also make a marine-grade poly. Is that totally unneccessary over fiberglass?

I've done quite a few "rugged" woodworking projects (i.e. - fairly elaborate treehouse for my little brother - dad re-married so there's 18 years age difference between my baby brother and I!) but this will be my first project that includes so may fine cosmetic details. I really want it to look incredible. I'm so nervous about trying something new and screwing it up though! Any advice on great woodie finishes?

Lindsey :thinking:
The difference between being involved and being commited is like eggs and bacon - the chicken was involved but the pig was commited.

http://www.teardrop.myphotoalbum.com
lmh222
Teardrop Advisor

Postby The R/C Man » Sat Apr 16, 2005 12:53 am

Hi Lindsey!

Well I do know that if you are intending to have the wood look you need to use a lighter and thinner grade fiberglass cloth such as 4oz. This will still seal the wood but will be much more transparent than say 6 or 8oz cloth. I am not sure about the poly. Whatever you decide to finish with be sure you either sand the entire surface or clean it with a cleaner deigned to remove the waxy substance left behind from the epoxies curing process. If you don't the top coat will peal or bubble. I am planning to paint mine with Armorpoxy. They make a clear version and it may be what you are looking for. Here is the link: http://www.armorpoxy.com/html/about.htm
I hope that helped......
Greg

Over time science has shown that the simplest answers are usually the correct ones.......
The R/C Man
Teardrop Master

Previous

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques