Ahhh, Very Interesting...

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Ahhh, Very Interesting...

Postby Guest » Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:36 pm

...But stupid! (Remember that one?)
My axle arrived today, so I mounted the wheels and started checking all the measurments...
Everything looked right, except one thing... I gained almost a 1/2" in the distance between the tires. (I was stumped)
Then it dawned on me... This axle tube has a bow (Crown up) in it and I'm somewhat sure that it was made that way on purpose, so that when a load is placed onto it, it will level out.
I rechecked the measurment between the tires on the other sude of the axle tube and there it was... :R

I know all this sounds pretty silly, but the amount of bow in the Flexiride axle tube really surprised me and got me to wondering.... With the amount of distance it changed between my wheels in a non loaded situation, what kind of stress is that going to put on my attached frame and floor? It's got me wondering if it will want to bow the floor area between where the mounts for the axle tube are attached if I attach those mounts to the frame before a substantial load is placed on the axle.

Postby JunkMan » Thu Apr 14, 2005 7:30 am

If I am not mistaken, the bow is not put there so the axel will straighten out with a load, but to add caster or camber (I can't remember which). This helps the trailer track straight. If the axel was perfectly straight, the trailer would want to wander instead of tracking straight.

I don't think the bow will change with a load, so your floor should be fine.
Jeff & Odie
Black Hills of South Dakota
JunkMan
500 Club

Postby mikeschn » Thu Apr 14, 2005 7:32 am

That's a good reason not to use torsion stub end axles...

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Nitetimes » Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:11 am

The bow wll straighten under load, but it has to be a pretty heavy load. A TD isn't heavy enough for the bow to be a consideration as far as stressing the trailer. It won't put any undo stress on the frame. The camber also helps the trailer track straight.

mikeschn wrote:That's a good reason not to use torsion stub end axles...

Mike...

Exactly what I was trying to explain in another post.
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby Guest » Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:59 am

Oh, OK...
I see how the camber will make the trailer track straight.

Re: Ahhh, Very Interesting...

Postby IraRat » Thu Apr 14, 2005 1:56 pm

Dean in Eureka, CA wrote:...But stupid! (Remember that one?)

I know nothing about axles, but I'm sorry to report that I am indeed old enough to remember that one. Artie Johnson from Laugh-In...who went on to further fame and no fortune in one or two episodes of Love American Style and The Love Boat.

Now I'm REALLY depressed!
--Ira

"My HD and Wal-Mart have been out of Titebond for weeks, and I think it's a communist conspiracy."
IraRat
Forum Storyteller

Postby Syekick » Thu Apr 14, 2005 2:48 pm

mikeschn wrote:That's a good reason not to use torsion stub end axles...

Mike...

:?

Now I'm confused about axles. (Hush, I know it's not the first time.) I thought that all I had to do was purchase my choice of a Dexter or a Flexiride Torsion Axle. So Mike, what is a torsion stub end axle? Isn't that the axle on your frame photo? I can't find a reference to that phrase in Google. Maybe I misunderstood you incorrectly.
<b>Fudd's First Law of Opposition: </b>
If you push something hard enough, it will fall over.
Syekick
Teardrop Builder

Postby JunkMan » Thu Apr 14, 2005 3:16 pm

Syekick,

A torsional stub is just one side (1/2) of the axel (you use one for each side). Some people use them instead of a one piece axel. The advantage is that if you wreck one, you don't have to replace the whole axel, just one side. They are also cheaper and easier to ship, and the same stubs will work for a variety of trailer widths. The downside is that you have to get them lined up just right, or your tires will wear funny and the trailer might not handle right. With a one piece axel (like the one in Mikes drawing) it is a lot easier to line the axel up.
Jeff & Odie
Black Hills of South Dakota
JunkMan
500 Club

Postby mikeschn » Thu Apr 14, 2005 3:35 pm

Thanks Junkman... that's exactly right...

Sometimes a picture is worth it's weight in gold, so here's a link to a picture of some torsion stub axles...

http://www2.northerntool.com/cat-1/166839+166843.htm

One way to use these torsion stub axles is to take two pieces of channel and weld them to the camber angle that you want, and then mount the torsion stub axles inside the channel.

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Syekick » Thu Apr 14, 2005 5:13 pm

:SG

Now I see. Thanks for the explanation Junkman and the picture Mike. Part of my confusion was not really catching the correct context for your comment Mike. I thought you were referring to the original post and the "bent" axle. So the stub comment didn't seem to fit. But you were really commenting about camber from the post just above yours from Junkman.

In effect, you were saying that stubs can be a pain to get the camber "right". A perfect reason for a beginner (and non welder) to stay away from them

See, I did misunderstand you incorrectly!
<b>Fudd's First Law of Opposition: </b>
If you push something hard enough, it will fall over.
Syekick
Teardrop Builder

Postby mikeschn » Thu Apr 14, 2005 5:42 pm

It sounds like you got it... :lol:

KISS... get a torsion axle and be done with it... unless you want to play with leaf springs, shocks, shackles, etc...

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Ron Dickey » Thu Apr 14, 2005 6:20 pm

I plan to just get the cheepest trailer I can find all ready set up with such axel things but here are some pictures of differnent types from Northerntool
http://www2.northerntool.com/cat-1/166839+166843.htm
maybe one day when I have mine up and running and go to a couple of events will I try the axel game. :baby:
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques