Topless in Austin

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Topless in Austin

Postby GeorgeT » Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:45 pm

Well today I finally finished all construction on the exterior including installing all the aluminum trim and pop up locks and such. Now I have to remove the trim and hardware, take it apart and paint it. Here's a few pics of the pop up without the top so's you can see the fold up sides better. The pop up roof weighs 54.4 lbs with the hardware and trim. I only lift one end at a time so I figure I'm lifting about 35 to 40 lbs. Not bad but doubt my wife could pop it up. It has taken me 5 1/2 months to get this far. Will be another month or so to finish the interior cabinets, flooring, painting and curtains. Whew! :SH

Lookin' up in da skize with ize on da prize
http://home.earthlink.net/~g.teague/
GeorgeT
The 300 Club

Postby SteveH » Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:06 pm

Lookin' good, George. It will definately be unique. Now, get busy and get that thing finished so we can see it at the next gathering. :thumbsup:
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Woody » Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:15 pm

Nice job, :thumbsup: I was disappointed though I was hoping for :thinking: a different "Type of Topless" :twisted: :roll: not to take anything away from your craftmanship. Great Job
Woody
The Tear Jerker's, Florida Chapter Director
E-mail: [email protected]
Tear jerker chapter site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Check the SE section for gathering information
Tear Jerkers new site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Enjoying life in 12 ounce increments is what it's about
Woody
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby frankc67 » Fri Apr 15, 2005 1:37 am

Very cool trailer GeorgeT, may i ask how the top fastens to the foldup sides on top. Also, what are your overall dimensions ? Are you gone to create a build joural/website ? if you don't have one allready. Thanks...
frankc67
Teardrop Inspector

Postby beverlyt » Fri Apr 15, 2005 4:37 am

George,
I liked it before... it looks even better with all that trim.
Can't wait to see it painted!

Bev
beverlyt
500 Club

Postby mikeschn » Fri Apr 15, 2005 5:08 am

Looking good George...

So do you have a journal out there? We gotta get you into the hall of fame!!!

Mike...

P.S. What kind of paint are you planning on using?
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby GeorgeT » Fri Apr 15, 2005 1:25 pm

frankc67 wrote:Very cool trailer GeorgeT, may i ask how the top fastens to the foldup sides on top. Also, what are your overall dimensions ? Are you gone to create a build joural/website ? if you don't have one allready. Thanks...

The top just sits on top. Actually it sits on four bolts heads that rest on top of the aluminum side trim on top of the camper so the weatherstrip isn't crushed too much. The bolts are adjustable so I can make the weatherstrip squish just the amount needed. Should help the longevity of the weatherstrip too. When going down the road I have installed pull down latches (the kind that are used on pop tent trailers) on the outside to hold it down. When popped up there are two thumbscrews on the inside that hold the top to the sides which is sufficient to keep it from being lifted off or blowing off. You can see in the pic where all four sides are up the little hole above the window where the thumbscrew goes through. Another on opposing side. The thumbscrews and barrel bolts in each of the corners of the sides make it rock solid. No wiggle, no slop.

The camper is 5 feet wide and 8 feet long and 4 feet tall. I can stand up in it with the top popped with about 1 1/2 inches clearance. I am 5'8" tall.

A journal. No. Haven't had time. Have a lot of photos of the build.
Maybe when I finish I'll take the time to put the process up on a website.

Paint. Dunno yet. Will more'n likely be some kind of gloss exterior oil base. Am thinking of using sign enamels like Ronan or Bulletin One-Shot as they do well on outdoor signage. Maybe Devoe's high gloss Mirrolac. The camper will be garage kept.

Here's the drawdown lock and the adjustable bolt head I's talking about.

Last edited by GeorgeT on Fri Apr 15, 2005 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GeorgeT
The 300 Club

Postby Ken » Fri Apr 15, 2005 3:41 pm

Definitely outstanding ideas and workmanship. Where did you get the drawdown lock?
Ken
Keeper of the Green Key

Postby GeorgeT » Fri Apr 15, 2005 4:03 pm

Thanks. I got the latches online from Crestview RV located in Buda, Texas. Look under hardware/locks and latches and go page 5. Delivery was fast. http://www.crestviewrv.com/html2/PartsCat.html :thumbsup:
GeorgeT
The 300 Club

Postby davel » Fri Apr 15, 2005 4:11 pm

George,

I agree with SteveH, we're all ready to see that beautiful trailer in person. :thumbsup:
davel
Donating Member

Postby angib » Fri Apr 15, 2005 5:33 pm

GeorgeT wrote:A journal. No. Haven't had time. Have a lot of photos of the build.

George,

I would like, at some time, to draw up some plans of your trailer and put them on my web site, as I think quite a few people would be interested in building it - it hasn't got those scary curves!

If this is OK with you, when I'm doing it I'll contact you for a few more details, like the wheelarch size and so on.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby GeorgeT » Fri Apr 15, 2005 6:04 pm

angib wrote:
GeorgeT wrote:A journal. No. Haven't had time. Have a lot of photos of the build.

George,

I would like, at some time, to draw up some plans of your trailer and put them on my web site, as I think quite a few people would be interested in building it - it hasn't got those scary curves!

If this is OK with you, when I'm doing it I'll contact you for a few more details, like the wheelarch size and so on.

Andrew

No problem. No curves, only 90 degrees, 45 degrees, and 22.5 degree angles. ;)
GeorgeT
The 300 Club

Postby BobR » Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:50 pm

George...outstanding design and execution...Andrew, I can't wait to see what you do. The more detail the better....
Bob Richert
Parrish, FL
"Be glad of life because it gives you the chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars"
BobR
Donating Member

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques