Kinking in Aluminum trim

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Hammer

Postby OkieSailor » Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:15 pm

Has anyone used a "deadblow" weighted hammer to do their trim?
A deadblow hammer is the size of a small sledge with a short handle, but the head of the hammer is hollow and filled with lead pellets, when you hit something with it it sort of "pushes" instead of "banging".
Yes OkieSailor is an Oxymoron!!
OkieSailor
Teardrop Advisor

Postby ahjones3 » Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:29 pm

I was looking at deadblow hammers, but the heads seemed like they were pretty hard plastic. I was afriad they would dent the softened trim. I bought a cheap ($3) rubber mallet at Menards that worked great.
Al.
ahjones3
Teardrop Builder

kinks in trim

Postby David Beckett » Tue Apr 19, 2005 2:01 pm

I think I'll try the deadblow hammer. I tried a cheap rubber mallet but there was a lot of bounce.
David Beckett
Teardrop Builder

Postby exminnesotaboy » Tue Apr 19, 2005 2:56 pm

To put the aluminum trim around a galley side table, I heated it with a torch and used a hard plastic(about the same hardness as deadblow hammers I have seen) tent peg hammer to form it. It worked to bend it easily but it did leave little dents. For the second part of the table, I used a super cheap rubber mallet and it worked great with no denting.
exminnesotaboy
Gold Donating Member

Okie Sailor

Postby Gene Newcomb » Tue Apr 19, 2005 3:32 pm

Say Okie Sailor,
Do you have a teardrop here in OKC? I am nearing completion of mine and just started checking on tagging it.
After 20 calls to DOT I finally got through and spent 20 minutes on hold I found that to tag it as a travel trailer that I built I would need to go to a tag agent for a form to list, w/ receipts, everything I used in mfg and then go to the DOT to get a permit to go back to the tag agent to get a tag.
If it was a non-commercial utility trailer it did not need a tag at all.
Turns out it is a non-commercial util trailer. Have you found the same?
BTW what kind of sailor are you?
Gene
Gene Newcomb
www.customdie.com and oklahrdw on Ebay.
Gene Newcomb
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Larwyn » Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:42 pm

exminnesotaboy wrote:To put the aluminum trim around a galley side table, I heated it with a torch and used a hard plastic(about the same hardness as deadblow hammers I have seen) tent peg hammer to form it. It worked to bend it easily but it did leave little dents. For the second part of the table, I used a super cheap rubber mallet and it worked great with no denting.

I don't remember where I got it but I have a dead blow hammer with replaceable rubber tips, one end harder than the other. I've only had it for a couple or three years so they can probably still be found. I've been planning to give it try when I get to forming the aluminum trim, no marks, no bounce. :)
Larwyn

Keeper of the Most Out Of Control Shop (2005)

I feel bad for the man that cannot spell a word more than one way. Mark Twain
Larwyn
Mad Kilted Texan

Postby Geron » Wed Apr 20, 2005 5:03 am

I have a DB hammer I picked up at HD for about 6 bucks - Made in China. I doesn't have the lead or whatever rattling around inside but it doesn't bounce and it doesn't leave marks. BTW just had this piece of 3/4 x 3/4 x1/16 with one side cut to 1/4" and annealed lying here. Shows what you can do with properly annealed AL. This one bent by hand - no hammer used.

[url="http://www.hunt101.com/?p=276860&c=500&z=1"]Image[/url]

Geron
If it's not broken, you're not trying hard enough.
Geron
1000 Club
1000 Club

kinks in trim

Postby David Beckett » Wed Apr 20, 2005 2:59 pm

Geron,

I'm thinking you hit the nail on the head with "properly annealed." It seems to me the most important step here is to take your time annealling the trim. I bet my first try was not a proper job, and thus the kinking.

David Beckett
Teardrop Builder

Previous

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques