Aluminum Welding Sticks

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Aluminum Welding Sticks

Postby OkieSailor » Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:20 pm

Has anyone used any of the aluminum welding sticks? Would like an opinion before I pop for $50 for 1LB of the stuff.
Yes OkieSailor is an Oxymoron!!
OkieSailor
Teardrop Advisor

Postby denverd0n » Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:34 am

I've used them and was not impressed with the results. They are adequate for making two pieces of aluminum stick together, but they do not create a strong weld. I would not use them for anything structurally critical. For that I think you need to stick (no pun intended) with MIG or TIG welding.
denverd0n
Teardrop Advisor

Postby doug hodder » Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:52 pm

I've used them, mostly on material 1/4" + in thickness. I had a tough time dialing the juice down to do the thin material. I also used a stainless brush to prescuff the material and for cleaning up the flux. They take some practice, I agree with denverdOn, you're better off with mig or tig. They're OK for repair, but not for a production situation, at least that's my experience. Doug Hodder
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Trim

Postby OkieSailor » Sat Apr 23, 2005 11:08 pm

I was looking to extend some of the trim I bought. It is a touch too short to make a single run with no joints. I want to tack on some more trim to make a solid unit with out joints. Also if the video is not faked I could make rain end caps for the hatch.
Thanks for the input.
Yes OkieSailor is an Oxymoron!!
OkieSailor
Teardrop Advisor

Postby doug hodder » Sun Apr 24, 2005 11:34 am

If it were me, I'd take it in to a shop and have it TIG'd. Butter up the guy and he probably wouldn't charge anything. The stick will be a mess on small trim pieces. You'll spend a lot of $ for a small weld. Also check out any of the welder supply houses. They may let you buy sticks is small quanities if you still want to try........Doug Hodder
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques