And still another tounge question...

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

And still another tounge question...

Postby Guest » Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:17 pm

OK...I come from the school of, "The only dumb question is the question not asked."...

In reference to tight turns, especially backing into a tight spot where I can't back straight in, like in an alley for example...
Should the tounge length (from the hitch to the farthest most portion of the trailer body) be just a bit more than half the width of the tow vehicle, to assure that the body of the trailer never comes in contact with the body of the tow vehicle? (Not including jack-knifing it, but I won't do that)

:thinking: :R :? :oops:

Postby JunkMan » Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:11 pm

That's what I have always used as a general rule.
Jeff & Odie
Black Hills of South Dakota
JunkMan
500 Club

Postby SteveH » Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:22 pm

Dean,

Your formula should be for the minimum tongue length, however you can go longer. The longer the tongue, the easier it will be to back the trailer. However, a 10 ft trailer with a 14 ft tongue would look a little silly! :?
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby angib » Thu Apr 21, 2005 5:41 am

Two observations on long tongues - neither of them a reason why you shouldn't have one:

- A longer tongue increases the bending moment on the tongue, so a longer tongue also needs to be a stronger tongue.

- Just about every commercial trailer has a very short tongue - is this because they are maximising the accommodation within a fixed trailer length (ie, shorter tongue = longer body), or are they just cheapskates? :thinking:

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques