Varnishing Beaded Birch Paneling For Skin (Like Woody's!)

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Varnishing Beaded Birch Paneling For Skin (Like Woody's!)

Postby IraRat » Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:20 am

I have no shame, so for those here familiar with Woody's TD, I'm going to copy his skin. (Plus other things.) He used two different designs of beaded birch paneling for the sides and top.

In a previous post, he said he spar varnished it in 10 coats. Since 10 coats is one hell of a job, especially for 3 or 4 pieces (front and back, I guess), I was considering buying the paneling, and doing this in stages while I work on other parts of the project. Like, when I get real aggravated fitting a piece of wood, I'll take my anger out on that plywood. (At least I know how to use a BRUSH!)

I don't have a garage, but I can probably place the paneling under a house eave to save it from torrential rains.

Can anyone see a big downside to this? Like for the top, if it's varnished with 10 coats, it's still going to bend the same, right?

Woody? Help?
--Ira

"My HD and Wal-Mart have been out of Titebond for weeks, and I think it's a communist conspiracy."
IraRat
Forum Storyteller

Postby Woody » Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:46 am

You have made your first mistake, like I did, you can varnish the flat pieces all you want. The curved pieces have to be done after you bend them. Sealed the wood makes it rather rigid and practically unbendable and not to mention the birch bead board is practically unbendable as it is. I went with 10 coats at the time, sanded with 220 grit between coats, to get a smooth finish and because I had never done expoxy finish before. I wasnt going to risk a "mistake" on thirty dollar a sheet bead board paneling x 3 with that kinda a learning curve. At the time I was concerned that the recessed bead part would trap air and mess up the epoxy coating process. The other concern is the veneer layer of the birch is so thin and I want to ensure that I sealed the area of the recessed bead area which is into the second layer of veneer of the paneling. If you look at my teardrop you will notice that the front radiuses are 1/4 " luan door skin only the sides are bead board. Irarat PM me with a phone number and I will answer any quetion you have about my finish
Woody
The Tear Jerker's, Florida Chapter Director
E-mail: [email protected]
Tear jerker chapter site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Check the SE section for gathering information
Tear Jerkers new site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Enjoying life in 12 ounce increments is what it's about
Woody
2000 Club
2000 Club

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques