Insulating the Floor

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Insulating the Floor

Postby Chuck » Mon Jun 14, 2004 3:03 pm

Greetings all. The teardrop plans I have call for insulating the floor by gluing and screwing rigid foam insulation on the underside. I want to insulate my teardrop, but it seems to me that the foam would get chewed up by rocks as I drove. Mice may also destroy it. Does anyone have another idea for insulating the floor?
Chuck
Teardrop Builder

Postby Shrug53 » Mon Jun 14, 2004 3:37 pm

On the underside? Hmm. I would think that would be enclosed fully between two layers of plywood. Same as it would be on the roof and walls.
You may want to stick to your plans and then just add a layer of plywood as well to close it up.
"Better living through reckless experimentation"
http://www.forgottenclassics.com
Shrug53
500 Club

Postby Green Horn » Mon Jun 14, 2004 3:38 pm

Im also going to insulate my floor but i think i will sandwich it between sheets of plywood .Just a thought i may be wrong.

John In Bama
Green Horn
Teardrop Builder

Inulation

Postby Clancy Courtney » Mon Jun 14, 2004 3:40 pm

Hi, I used the Kuffel Creek plans that called for foam sheet insulation and was also skeptical of durability but so far it has held up well.
I have about 5000 miles on it. Its mainly been on paved highways but has seen some gravel road travel.
I seen some photos of using a sheet of Al to cover bottom.
Good luck,
Clancy
Clancy Courtney
Donating Member

Postby Wild Mike » Mon Jun 14, 2004 4:31 pm

I designed mine to use 1/4 plywood with a 1x4 frame with stringers every 12" or so. In between the frame members I put 3/4 rigid foam and then topped it off with another 1/4 plywood. As long as I have the cushions in it's fine ... but if you're just on the plywood top it's a little too weak in between the stringers. The ply creaks and cracks when you drop a knee on it. :cry: Whenever you're camping though the cushions are in so I don't think I'm going to add the extra weight of another sheet of ply.

I then bought 2 cans of rubberized undercoating at the auto parts store and sprayed the heck out of it. :lol:

Wild Mike
Wild Mike
Teardrop Advisor

Postby tdthinker » Mon Jun 14, 2004 5:30 pm

I plan to sandwich mine, It may cost a little more but it will most likely stand up better over time.
Ryan
tdthinker
500 Club

floor insulation

Postby darockrider » Fri Jul 16, 2004 11:03 pm

I looked at a commercailly built teardrop type of trailer the TAB by THOR and the bottom of the trailer was covered with a heavy poly tarp type of woven material! Tarps are cheap at the hardware store and very light weight. I may try that on my newest tear. 2" of foam between the frame rails and poly over to seal!

look at the photos of my new project in my album. please note that the dates on the project are incorrect and should be june/july 2004.

darockrider
darockrider
Teardrop Advisor

RE floor insullation

Postby oldtimer » Fri Jul 16, 2004 11:26 pm

I use a poly rubber mix it comes in color and you apply right to the bottom outside of your floor. It not only makes a good under coating but great insullation !!! [/b]
oldtimer
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques