non aluminum outside shell

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

non aluminum outside shell

Postby Ron Dickey » Sun Apr 24, 2005 8:19 pm

I wondered ... If when I get to this point .... I have the trailer ready to paint, stain, or fiberglass

If I paint should I use airplane paint, tractor paint, just exterior house paint?

What did you do for those who have non-aluminum trailers.
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby Arne » Sun Apr 24, 2005 8:38 pm

Mike used, and I followed, an epoxy deep penetrating primer followed by a white epoxy outside coating..... should be good for 10 years.

I think paint is a mistake, what with the seams and all... but that is just my take on it....

We got ours from rot doc (do a google), but I suspect marine epoxy is pretty close....prime is called CPES or something like that.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby brickz » Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:40 am

I think it depends a lot on use and storage when not in use. I have the luxury of storing the tear indoors and tend to be a fair weather camper so I just did two coats of primer/sealer and three coats high quality Alkyd house paint. Mine will see way less bad weather than normal house so figure it will last a while. I'll get back to you in 5 or 6 years and let you know. 8)

Brickz
"A single accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions" - Admiral Grace Hopper
brickz
Donating Member

Postby IraRat » Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:44 pm

ATTENTION SITE ADMINISTRATORS!

There are some great, long, lengthy threads already here about subjects like this. (Think Doctor Rot.)

As a guitar player who visits a guitar player site, they took a bunch of these inquiries and stickied them, so all of the information is there for new visitors.

Saves a lot of time for everyone, as I'm sure you know.
--Ira

"My HD and Wal-Mart have been out of Titebond for weeks, and I think it's a communist conspiracy."
IraRat
Forum Storyteller

Postby mikeschn » Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:38 pm

Actually I am going to put together a FAQ someday, with links to the relevant topics... Otherwise what's important to one may not be important to someone else... and I can't make everything sticky!

However, if you have a particular thread on skinning that you'd like to see made into a sticky, let me know...

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby IraRat » Fri Apr 29, 2005 3:26 pm

mikeschn wrote:A

However, if you have a particular thread on skinning that you'd like to see made into a sticky, let me know...

Mike...

By the time I get to skinning my TD, I'll be a grandfather.

I may already LOOK like one, but my older boy is only 13.
--Ira

"My HD and Wal-Mart have been out of Titebond for weeks, and I think it's a communist conspiracy."
IraRat
Forum Storyteller

Postby mikeschn » Fri Apr 29, 2005 3:27 pm

IraRat wrote:my older boy is only 13.

Yea right Grandpa...

:lol:

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby GeorgeT » Sat Apr 30, 2005 10:19 pm

brickz wrote:I think it depends a lot on use and storage when not in use. I have the luxury of storing the tear indoors and tend to be a fair weather camper so I just did two coats of primer/sealer and three coats high quality Alkyd house paint. Mine will see way less bad weather than normal house so figure it will last a while. I'll get back to you in 5 or 6 years and let you know. 8)

Brickz

Just finished all the construction on mine and will start prepping for paint. As yours, mine will be stored indoors and will see little bad weather other than hot sun. Plan on same painting scheme. Was wonderin' what brand paint you ended up using. I was lookin' at Sherwin Williams exterior oil base. Pricey but figured it probably covers well. Thanks. :thinking:
Lookin' up in da skize with ize on da prize
http://home.earthlink.net/~g.teague/
GeorgeT
The 300 Club

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques