Mid construction design changes.....

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Mid construction design changes.....

Postby The R/C Man » Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:19 pm

Well after starting to layout the wall shape on the plywood I have considered changing the design a bit. The pic below shows the the first design on top and the second on the bottom. With the first design in order to get the bottom radius I will need to add about 12" to the overall length to the plywood sides. If not the frame will be exposed on the trailer sides. This also means plicing the wood. The bad thing is more work. :roll: The good thing is that it will add some extra space to the inside of the cabin and I hink it will look nicer. If I splice the wood I was going to add the extra to the rear where the cabin will have extra support from the cabnets etc.

Do you guys think it would be better to splice the wood and get the extra space and nicer look? If so what is the best way to slpice it. I was going to add a strip of 1/2" ply 4" wide to the inside with screws and glue. With the whole cabin being encapsulated in glass this sould work right?

Thanks!

Greg

Over time science has shown that the simplest answers are usually the correct ones.......
The R/C Man
Teardrop Master

Postby doug hodder » Tue Apr 26, 2005 1:08 am

If you decide to splice the plywood. Here's what I did. I used a 3 wing cutter on the router, cut a groove in each piece to be spliced. I then cut a piece of 1/8" hardwood for the spline, and glued it up, using epoxy. It's bullet proof. You get a flat piece of material, and no screws or back up material. Just an idea. Doug Hodder
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby The R/C Man » Tue Apr 26, 2005 1:27 am

Thanks for the idea Doug!

I think the rounded version will be the way to go. It will make the cabin 4x9 as opposed to 4x8. Anyway, what about using a strip of 6oz glass and epoxy to temporily hold it together while I cut the radius and install the framing? The pieces are only going to be 12" x 24".
Greg

Over time science has shown that the simplest answers are usually the correct ones.......
The R/C Man
Teardrop Master

Postby The R/C Man » Tue Apr 26, 2005 3:08 am

On second thought.. I am going to go and pick up a router bit and a sheet of hardboard tomorrow. Thanks!
Greg

The R/C Man
Teardrop Master

Postby Kevin A » Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:40 pm

Greg,

Have you considered building a tongue box that would fill the void in front of the curve of the body on your original plan, as well as cover the exposed frame?
"Follow me, I'm right behind you"

ImageImage
Kevin A
The other guy

Postby hammer & tongs » Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:20 pm

Curiously, I had the Cubby profile in mind before I started but for the same reason I ended up using a Mac-built rt 66 prifile with the straight front.
I also plan on putting a window in front (if I can find a good one), so the vertical front will help there also..
" By whose stripes you were healed ."
(1 Peter 2:24b )
hammer & tongs
Teardrop Master

Postby The R/C Man » Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:27 am

Hey Kevin!

Yes, I actually thought about getting one of those diamond plate boxes though. Unfortunately there is very little room left on the tow tounge. If I can at least fit the batteries on there that will be great....
Greg

The R/C Man
Teardrop Master

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques