Aluminum skin...

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Aluminum skin...

Postby Shrug53 » Tue Jun 15, 2004 8:08 am

OK, can anyone tell me why so many of these are skinned in aluminum? Is if for the looks or durability?
Are there any alternatives? How about fiberglass?
If the base wood were sanded, primed and painted woudl you be able to tell the difference?
Just trying to find out what works best.
"Better living through reckless experimentation"
http://www.forgottenclassics.com
Shrug53
500 Club

Postby Chip » Tue Jun 15, 2004 8:46 am

Shrug,,,I am no expert on the subject but from my experience and education into teardrops alum is a fairly durable material,,it comes in a wide variety of colors or mill finish,,it is fairly easy to work into place and is not too difficult to find a supplier,,

the outside can and has been covered with about anything you can dream up,,from house paint to commercial roofing to high tech coatings to alum to stainless to spar varnish,,about the only things I have yet to see is one done with duct tape stucco or a copper covered tear and that will happen,,,just watch and wait

part of the outside finish will be dictated by budget, the next will be by what you are most comfortable working with and also the amount of maint. time you want to have to put into your unit,,one thing bout these things is there is no right answer,,any thing that is gonna keep your bed roll dry is ok,,if you are happy with the end result then WE all happy,,,heck you gotta pull and sleep in it so what ever works for you is good,,,hope it helps,,

chip
Living large,,,travling small !!!
54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Serro Scotty rebuild(in progress)
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Shrug53 » Tue Jun 15, 2004 8:55 am

Hmm... duct tape....
"Better living through reckless experimentation"
http://www.forgottenclassics.com