Anyone building/built a Comet?

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Anyone building/built a Comet?

Postby Gerdo » Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:06 pm

I've been searching the internet and my mind for good plans. I'm thinking of the Comet with some of my own modifications. Who has built a Comet and what do you think?
Gerdo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby mexican tear » Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:11 pm

That is the plans that I started with. In fact most of the TD is according to plans. well sort of.

My photos are below.

kai
"Essie" and the Mexican Tear
mexican tear
Donating Member

Postby Gerdo » Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:19 pm

How has your build been going? It also looks like you are 5' wide? Have the plans been good?
Gerdo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby doug hodder » Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:30 pm

I'm currently building the comet. I found some things that I would do differently especially on the frame. The plans call out for 3" x 1-1/2" channel for the tongue. I found that when built this way I got way too much flex in the tongue. I was able to bend it when hooked up to the truck and jumped on the tongue. In addition I also used 2x2 angle for front braces. I ended up boxing it with another 5'stick of 3" channel. I think that Kevin also decided the same thing as in photos on page 22 of the book, he has boxed the channel also. I would recommend using square tube rather than the channel. Also check out for different methods on installing the galley hinge. If you're creative you can avoid using the extra piece of 1/4" material. Overall, they're a good set of plans to help you out on your build. Just my opinion and experience so far. See photos in my album....Good luck with your build and keep us all posted... Doug Hodder
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Gerdo » Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:57 pm

Cool interior lights. Where did you get them?
Gerdo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby mexican tear » Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:48 am

I was a little worried about the flex in the toung too, I boxed the front part of the toung to make 3X3 toung.

The TD is 5 ft wide. My only mistake is that I did not make the inside 5 ft. After the islolation it turned out to be 57 inches. Seems OK since I bought a custom cut mattress. The only problem is the sheets. Queen size is 60 inches.

The lights are patio/walkway low voltage light from the big orange box.

The TD is finished for it's trip to the states. However, at my sons' house in TN there should be waiting for me new fendders from Grant and a new axle. I wonder when the changes stop.

kai
"Essie" and the Mexican Tear
mexican tear
Donating Member

Postby norm perkiss » Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:10 am

Gerdo,
I used the Comet plans as a starting point. I had a guy that builds trailers put together a frame. I used the plans for placing the axle. As a general guide to where to locate the cabinets and height from the floor, the profile of the Tear, inspiration, etc. I built ours at 9'x5', so I didn't follow the plans to the letter. I think the plans were worth it. Lots of good info.
Norm
norm perkiss
Gold Donating Member

Postby AmyH » Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:36 am

I have been using a combination of the Comet plans and the Cubby plans, along with some of my own alterations. I haven't gotten very far yet, but I think I probably have the plans memorized by now (having read them so often). :lol: So far I have been very happy with the plans. They are a great resource, particularly when combined with the knowledge of everyone on this site. I will say that the only dissappointment I have experienced so far is in deciding to go 4 X 10, as in the plans, instead of 5 X 10 on the frame. I already purchased my axle and I have the main framework of the chassis welded, so I kind of feel like it's just going to have to be 4 X 10. Unless I can come up with a a creative, yet aesthetically pleasing, way to make it wider. I thought of overhanging the tires, but I can't seem to find a way to make it look the way I would like.

Doug, I am glad that you said something about the channel for the tongue, since I haven't gotten that far in the welding yet. Now that I know about the flexing I may have to go pick up more tubing for that part. I did opt for 2X2 tubes for the bracing, figuring this would be stronger. Does anyone have additional thoughts on the strength of 3 X 1 1/2" channel?

Amy
Amy
"...follow humbly whereever and to whatever abyss Nature leads, or else you shall learn nothing." T.H. Huxley

Photo Log
Camping Trips with the Tear
AmyH
*The 300 Club

Postby Steve Frederick » Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:57 am

The stripper is a Comet, five-feet wide. I added a bit more "round-ness" to the front.
Blessings, Steve
Adirondacks, Upstate New York
Building Journals
The Shop Manual's 8-years old!! Thank's everyone!
New! 'Rondack Lodge Plans!Order Here!
Steve Frederick
Custom Teardrop Builder

Location: Upstate New York, Adirondacks (Great Sacandaga Lake)

Postby Gerdo » Sun May 01, 2005 3:29 pm

Thanks for the comments. Going to order my plans.
Gerdo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques