Quick fender question, plus door

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Quick fender question, plus door

Postby IraRat » Wed Apr 27, 2005 2:39 pm

The fenders that came with my HF are pretty "industrial-looking," as you all well know. I know that fender choice is going to be critical to my door placement (if you want those doors to actually OPEN), and since I'll be cutting those door holes shortly, I better get this buttoned down NOW.

Here's the question:

If I decide to use my existing fenders (for some cool customization later because that's the kind of guy I am), were there major changes to installation due to the relocated axel? (I'm too lazy to look at the plans right now, and besides--you guys now better.) Next, is there an online source for fenders?

Next, I've definitely decided on straight rectangular doors, thinking around 30 by 36. Again, is there an online source for doors of this size with windows, or am I just better off doing it out of plywood?

Thank you for coming to this post, or however else you reacted.
--Ira

"My HD and Wal-Mart have been out of Titebond for weeks, and I think it's a communist conspiracy."
IraRat
Forum Storyteller

Postby mikeschn » Wed Apr 27, 2005 3:42 pm

Make your own doors. Even if you could find a door in the size you wanted, you couldn't afford it.

As for fenders, lay out the fenders that you think you might want, and then locate the door relative to those fenders. Now you've designed for worst cast.

In my mind, the worst case fenders are probably something like this...

But don't ask me to measure them... cause I don't have the teardrop here... :( It's at my Dad's house...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby madjack » Wed Apr 27, 2005 4:02 pm

...Hey Mike where did you get your tail lights(sorry for the off topic Ira) They look like what I have been looking for.
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Wed Apr 27, 2005 4:32 pm

These tail lights?

I got em from West Marine...

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/st ... tId=143669

Mike...

P.s. Be sure to grab the one with the clear lens... "D" on that page...

P.P.S. BTW, they have matching marker lights... ;)
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby madjack » Wed Apr 27, 2005 6:51 pm

....thanks Mike, I have been looking for surface mount, oval taillights, without any luck...until now...mucho appreciated
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby IraRat » Wed Apr 27, 2005 9:23 pm

Those are some fenders! I would guess about half the length of an entire Cubby!

Since this post, I've discovered there's a bunch of online resources for inexpensive "normal" fenders.
--Ira

"My HD and Wal-Mart have been out of Titebond for weeks, and I think it's a communist conspiracy."
IraRat
Forum Storyteller

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques