P/U Truck Slide In

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

P/U Truck Slide In

Postby ALAN GEDDES » Thu May 05, 2005 5:31 pm

Just bought an 81 stepside GMC. Going to build a very light weight 6 1/2 long tear slide in to fit the bed for my Grandsons (5 and 8) to sleep in. No side doors just a hatch with curtains/tarps/screens or something to close it off when they are inside with the lid raised. Watch this post for more. Any ideas anyone ?
Alan
ALAN GEDDES
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby fornesto » Thu May 05, 2005 7:36 pm

Will it overlap the sides are be flush with the bed? I guess I was imagining a step side. For ultra light weight, there should be no floor, just three sides and some spars to hold her together below, like a camper shell. These spars could double as supports for a sleeping loft. Are the boys too tall to sleep sideways across the bed? :thinking:

For the screen, you could do an enclosed three wall set up that went over the tailgate only with lean out poles in case you're on hard ground. Better yet, do the entire thing in roll up canvas, but shaped like a tear drop with bent electric conduit for a frame and shower curtain rings to hold up the canvas.

If you make a solid slide-in light enough and with a floor, it could become a portable cabin. You could lift it out and set it in place.

Time to go home.... :?
fornesto
Donating Member

Postby purplepickup » Thu May 05, 2005 9:50 pm

A friend of mine made about the simplest pickup camper I've seen.

George
:)
purplepickup
Silver Donating Member

Postby ALAN GEDDES » Thu May 05, 2005 9:51 pm

I have given some thought to just making a tear shaped topper and sitting it in the pockets on the bed rails. Keep in mind this would just be for occasional use to get the kids off the ground at night when they start going with us.
Alan
ALAN GEDDES
1000 Club
1000 Club

Pickup slide in

Postby chezrad » Thu May 05, 2005 10:18 pm

I had thought about this as well. I have a soft tonnau cover and with it tilted up it has plenty of room in the back. Some simple canvas curtains added to the side hanging over the side and either weighted or strapped down would work great. The entrance could be a simple flap or even an awning and screen door arrangement. Whole thing with a store bougth cover wouldn't be more than $300. At least that was my guess. :)
chezrad
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques