frp

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

frp

Postby bigmcgiv » Sun May 08, 2005 3:06 pm

i finally saw the frp stuff and i like the texture of it but how would you seam 2 peices together or it there a double sided channel with a cap ot a t chanel made for it . see my tear is going to be 10 feet . tks matt ps i hope this is not a stupid question. :oops: :thinking:
bigmcgiv
Teardrop Advisor

Postby JunkMan » Sun May 08, 2005 6:30 pm

Matt,

Yes, they make a double sided H chanel for joining 2 pieces, a C chanel for the edge, and inside and outside corners. They should all be in the same general area as the FRP at the lumber yard.
Jeff & Odie
Black Hills of South Dakota
JunkMan
500 Club

Postby ALAN GEDDES » Sun May 08, 2005 7:25 pm

PM Chip about that FRP stuff. He uses it in business and did his tear with it.
Alan
ALAN GEDDES
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Boodro » Sun May 08, 2005 10:25 pm

Hi Matt , I am in the process of skinning my TD with FRP. I finished the top & front this weekend. I will be doing the walls & hatch this week. I liked the texture too, but I have since found out thru the board that it has to be painted to protect from UV :cry: So I will be painting it soon. I will post some pics when I get the skin on. I used Henry 444 adhesive on it. The bend on the front of the tear was a pain because I had a jont fall there. My TD is 12 ft BTW. I used the H channel for that joint & will be using it on the sides as well. Good luck.
We are all travelers in this world , from the sweet grass to the packin house , birth till death , we travel between the eternities . ( Robert Duvall as Prentiss Ritter)
Boodro
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby purplepickup » Sun May 08, 2005 11:00 pm

You can buy Filon in lengths up to 40' long. That's UV resistant FRP. They use it for roofs on motorhomes. Here's a place that sells it for $1.29/sq ft.

Owens Corning Fab Solution
2341 E. Market
Nappanee, IN 46550
Phone: 574-773-7981

Jennie is who I talked to and she was real helpful. I had considered using it and I was just going to pick it up since it's within driving distance for me but I think they will roll it up and ship it.
George
:)
purplepickup
Silver Donating Member

Re: frp

Postby BufordT » Mon May 09, 2005 8:05 am

bigmcgiv wrote:i finally saw the frp stuff and i like the texture of it but how would you seam 2 peices together or it there a double sided channel with a cap ot a t chanel made for it . see my tear is going to be 10 feet . tks matt ps i hope this is not a stupid question. :oops: :thinking:

If you check around. Go to the web site that talks about FRP and e-mail them they can find you a local dealer that sells the sheets in 4x10 or 4x12 sheets. It doesn't come any wider than 4 ft but it goes to 12 ft in length.

Bufordt :twisted:
"RUSH" The Man, The Legend, The Way Of Life.
BufordT
2nd Teardrop Club

Postby JunkMan » Mon May 09, 2005 8:12 am

BufordT wrote:[ It doesn't come any wider than 4 ft but it goes to 12 ft in length.

Actually it comes in several sizes, but most places won't order it unless it is a large order. I once ordered a 8' x 50' roll of it for a project I was working on.
Jeff & Odie
JunkMan
500 Club

Postby BufordT » Mon May 09, 2005 8:14 am

JunkMan wrote:
BufordT wrote:[ It doesn't come any wider than 4 ft but it goes to 12 ft in length.

Actually it comes in several sizes, but most places won't order it unless it is a large order. I once ordered a 8' x 50' roll of it for a project I was working on.

Was that FRP or Filon you ordered in 8 x 50 foot rolls?

Bufordt
:twisted:
"RUSH" The Man, The Legend, The Way Of Life.
BufordT
2nd Teardrop Club

Postby JunkMan » Mon May 09, 2005 8:17 am

BufordT wrote: Was that FRP or Filon you ordered in 8 x 50 foot rolls?

Bufordt
:twisted:

It was FRP. They screwed up the first time and sent 4' x 50' and we had to re-order. This was going in a restraunt kitchen and we didn't want any seams. We put up one sheet that was 8' x 24' using only glue, no mechanical fasteners! I don't want to do that again, what a pain in the butt! It did look good when it was done though.
Jeff & Odie
JunkMan
500 Club

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques