Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Postby jay » Fri Jun 18, 2004 5:13 am

why is there so much work put into trailer construction, and aparently so little thought about door design...?

historical precidence?

most doors completely contradict the trailers profile rather than compliment it.

if there is 12" or so of straight line for hinging, why can't the door shape more closely replicate the curve of the side?
jay
Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Fri Jun 18, 2004 5:32 am

Hey Jay,

You mean, "Why do so many people use rectangular doors? I think mostly because it's easier.

My first baby benroy used a curve the was mirrored from the front curve...

My second benroy started with a similar curve, but I later made it rectangular so I could push the window up higher. I think it's mostly a matter of aesthetics, window location, and how you plan on sealing the door.

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Chip » Fri Jun 18, 2004 7:07 am

Doors????? I thought and thought and thought and thought,,,,,,curved and beat aluminum to fit or straight lines and screw into place,,,yep thats the way,,,straight,,,kiss,,keep it simple stupid,,,thats for me

chip
Living large,,,travling small !!!
54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Serro Scotty rebuild(in progress)
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby jay » Fri Jun 18, 2004 7:06 pm

how does that apply?

aren't the sides flat? or have there been designs with compound curves?

i don't see that comment making any sense at all unless i am farther gone than i thought...
jay
Donating Member

Postby Chip » Fri Jun 18, 2004 7:58 pm

Jay,,I am gonna use a two piece alum door jam and frame on the door and wall,,its an alum angle that can be a bugger to get to bend,,unless you anneal the heck out of it and I am no metal worker,,,the angles dont bend around corners without a lot more work and a bit of luck to not come up with a whole mess of wavy edges that then have to be caulked,,now there are other ways to skin this cat but this was simpler for me,,,out of curosity, how are you gonna form or fabricate door and frame edges?? and also provide for door stops and door seals?? ya'll keep em straight

chip
Living large,,,travling small !!!
54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Serro Scotty rebuild(in progress)
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby jay » Fri Jun 18, 2004 8:50 pm

sorry; i must have had a lucid moment. doesn't happen all that often...
jay
Donating Member

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques