A Question for the router gurus

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Postby doug hodder » Mon May 16, 2005 9:45 pm

Hey Larwyn.....I posted photos in my album, as for some reason, ie, I'm too stupid to do it here, of my hinge detail. I routed out the spar that the hinge will attach to. I then overlaid it with the 1/4" roof material. If you check out the photo, I haven't done the deck lid yet, and just put in a piece of material to show how it will fill the area. The hinge on the cabin portion was sealed with marine sealant, prior to the ply overlay. I still have to work out the deck portion as it's not in position yet or officially attached. This works for me and I think it will have a clean appearance on the exterior when it's done. Just my ideas on it. Doug Hodder 8)
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Larwyn » Wed May 18, 2005 9:02 am

[quote="DestinDave"]Larwyn.. I wore a "formal" dress kilt to a Christmas dance in Brechin, Scotland many years ago and, yes, it's very comfortable although a bit cold in a Scottish December... :shock: Have always thought about having one made to wear to Highland games or gathering of the clans in North Carolina (I'm descended from the McLeods of Skye). However I don't think I could get away with wearing one all the time. And when relaxing at home, I prefer more freedom than a kilt... :lol:[/quote

Well, at least you have given one a try. As for getting one to wear for special events, go for it! That's what I did in the begining, then realized that one reason I looked forward to the events was they were a chance to dress more comfortably. I do not wear a kilt all the time, not allowed at work, and some times I just don't want to be the center of attention at Home Depot.... :lol: Most days, after work when I slip off those workboots, I just take it a little farther. Kilt, flipflops, Guinness, and a comfortable lawn chair with a view of the teardrop project, what a life. :twisted:
Larwyn

Keeper of the Most Out Of Control Shop (2005)

I feel bad for the man that cannot spell a word more than one way. Mark Twain
Larwyn
Mad Kilted Texan

Postby Larwyn » Wed May 18, 2005 9:10 am

doug hodder wrote:Hey Larwyn.....I posted photos in my album, as for some reason, ie, I'm too stupid to do it here, of my hinge detail. I routed out the spar that the hinge will attach to. I then overlaid it with the 1/4" roof material. If you check out the photo, I haven't done the deck lid yet, and just put in a piece of material to show how it will fill the area. The hinge on the cabin portion was sealed with marine sealant, prior to the ply overlay. I still have to work out the deck portion as it's not in position yet or officially attached. This works for me and I think it will have a clean appearance on the exterior when it's done. Just my ideas on it. Doug Hodder 8)

Doug,

That is a very clean, profesional looking way to handle the hinge installation. The finish you are putting on that aluminum reminds me of the "engine turned" dash panels I had in an old Chevy pick-up I wish I still had. Your project is looking good.
Larwyn

Keeper of the Most Out Of Control Shop (2005)

I feel bad for the man that cannot spell a word more than one way. Mark Twain
Larwyn
Mad Kilted Texan

Previous

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques