Stretching your plywood...just 1 technique

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Postby mikeschn » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:57 pm

Here's another possibility...

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:00 pm

But this is the first puzzle joint that I saw that turned the light on!!!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby tonyj » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:47 pm

Similar to the cnc finger joint--i posted these pics and the technique back in, wow, july 2006!

Using the template from a harbor freight dovetail jig:

Here is the 3 piece joined sheet that covers the top layer of my trailer (a 13 foot completed sheet). Also note the orientation of the 4 foot panel to aid curve bending on the short side:

That's 1/8 inch luan using epoxy, but any glue could be used. One key is not dry fitting before you put it together--you will destroy the fingers if you try to take it apart. You stack the two sheets on top of each other, offsetting one sheet for the half finger, and being careful to make sure the finished, joined sheet will have the finished side on the same side (if that is of any importance), so you stack with the finished side or the rough sides facing each other when you make the cut with the router. This technique will work with any thickness of ply.
Still graced with two eyes and ten fingers (due in no small part to luck!).

Just when you think a problem is solved, an uglier result replaces it.

tony
tonyj
Super Lifetime Member

Postby mikeschn » Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:53 pm

TonyJ,

I think you were onto something way back when, we just didn't know it then.

Do you have a link to your original post?

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby tonyj » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:06 pm

mikeschn wrote:TonyJ,

I think you were onto something way back when, we just didn't know it then.

Do you have a link to your original post?

Mike...

Found it--appropriately titled "alternate plywood panel joint."

http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?p=122645&highlight=#122645
Still graced with two eyes and ten fingers (due in no small part to luck!).

Just when you think a problem is solved, an uglier result replaces it.

tony
tonyj
Super Lifetime Member

Postby mikeschn » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:29 pm

Sweet!

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Re: Stretching your plywood...just 1 technique

Postby 2bits » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:15 pm

I love this forum, I am moving forward with my new build and this is my first challenge, and I look on the forum and here is my answer right off the bat!

Thanks Doug!!! :thumbsup:
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby HKBB » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:41 am

Oh, man. I sure wish I'd found this thread a lot sooner. I'm building a 5x5x10 Benroy and had a heck of a time finding 5x10 sheets of plywood. In fact, all I could find were sheets of 3/4" exterior grade. Is it my imagination, or is the exterior grade a LOT heavier (not to mention more expensive!!! :shock: )than other plywoods of the same size? Sure as heck feels like it. I was looking for 1/4" sheets, but couldn't find anybody that carried it, nor would be able to order it, so wound up with the 3/4". All of which caused a rapid re-evaluation of exterior and interior skinning. :cry:

For those of you in the Dallas / Fort Worth area, there's a great place in Fort Worth for all kinds of hardwood and softwood plywood, and bending luan and bending birch. Plywood Company of Fort Worth. http://www.plywoodcompany.com/application/home/main.aspx Their prices are posted on their website, and the guys in the warehouse are awesome about going through an entire stack of whatever wood you need, so you can pick which sheets you want. When they found out I was building a TD, they made me promise to bring it up there when it was done so they could see it. :lol:
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Lena
Waxahachie, TX
===============
HKBB
Teardrop Inspector

Postby 2bits » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:19 am

HKBB wrote:Oh, man. I sure wish I'd found this thread a lot sooner. I'm building a 5x5x10 Benroy and had a heck of a time finding 5x10 sheets of plywood. In fact, all I could find were sheets of 3/4" exterior grade. Is it my imagination, or is the exterior grade a LOT heavier (not to mention more expensive!!! :shock: )than other plywoods of the same size? Sure as heck feels like it. I was looking for 1/4" sheets, but couldn't find anybody that carried it, nor would be able to order it, so wound up with the 3/4". All of which caused a rapid re-evaluation of exterior and interior skinning. :cry:

For those of you in the Dallas / Fort Worth area, there's a great place in Fort Worth for all kinds of hardwood and softwood plywood, and bending luan and bending birch. Plywood Company of Fort Worth. http://www.plywoodcompany.com/application/home/main.aspx Their prices are posted on their website, and the guys in the warehouse are awesome about going through an entire stack of whatever wood you need, so you can pick which sheets you want. When they found out I was building a TD, they made me promise to bring it up there when it was done so they could see it. :lol:

I got my 3/4" 5x10 Plywood for my walls from the same place, they were super to work with.
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby HKBB » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:43 pm

2bits, did you get the exterior grade stuff? Is it just me, or does that stuff seem a lot heavier than regular plywood panels? I swear, these darn things weigh a TON!

Maybe it's just the fact that their "oversized", and bulkier to move around by myself... :thinking:
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Lena
Waxahachie, TX
===============
HKBB
Teardrop Inspector

Postby 2bits » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:12 pm

I know I got the best one and the right one, so if there was an exterior grade, I would have gotten it, but I can't recall. They did seem heavy, but not more than I would have expected for the extra 2 ft of length honestly.
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Stretching your plywood...just 1 technique

Postby aggie79 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:03 am

Lena,
I purchased almost all of my plywood from them. (It would have been 100% but they're not open on Saturdays). As you said they are very friendly and as Thomas said they have a multitude of products. Plus their higher quality products blow away the BORG stuff.
Take care,
Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby CampBnB » Sun May 20, 2012 11:59 am

Thank you for posting about the plywood place in Dallas/Fort Worth! We are still in the planning stages and this place looks great! :applause:
Brad and Beth- husband and wife team
Idea/research started for first teardrop construction 05/05/12
We are very creative but indecisive! :) Just ready to start already..!
CampBnB
Teardrop Inspector

Postby 2bits » Sun May 20, 2012 1:41 pm

That was a large part of my build: Sourcing materials like aluminum, wood, trim, the axle, etc. Then once you've done the research and you know where to get the stuff, it makes the build so much easier on #2 !
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby 41ford » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:45 am

Thanks, I may attempt your method, I'm getting ready to build a 6'x10' x6 camper trailer. 8)
[/img]]A wink is as good as a nudge! Know what I mean!![/color]
41ford
Teardrop Inspector

PreviousNext

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques