At last a chassis

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

At last a chassis

Postby TRAIL-OF-TEARS » Mon May 23, 2005 11:34 am

I have been working on the body of the tear for months all I need left is the roof, hatch and skin the roof. I decided it would be a good time to build the chassis. Last weekend I cut all the parts of my frame. So this past Saturday afternoon I rented a welder and after about four hours of welding a few hours of head scratching and one more hour of rewelding I have finally finished the frame :applause: this afternoon my brother will come buy and paint it. This Thursday I will get my replacement wheel from Summit racing (one of the wheels I ordered came in less than a round shape and the baby moon center cap was dinged as well) And the frame will be ready for the body. I will post pictures after it is painted. boy I am running out of time fast. but I should be done by mid June. I hope. :worship:
Steve J.

Home built Camp-Inn clone.
GO SPURS GO
TRAIL-OF-TEARS
Donating Member

Postby SteveH » Mon May 23, 2005 12:13 pm

Yes, Steve, we want to see pictures. :thumbsup:

Did you see my thread in General Discussion about seeing the Camp-Inn?
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby TRAIL-OF-TEARS » Mon May 23, 2005 1:32 pm

Steve, I saw you post about 1 minute before I posted the first time. The camp inns are good looking. I just hope mine looks half as good. Oh and by the way because of time I am 86ing the cool camp inn front windows. I think I will try to add them later. I went right by your house yesterday with the frame in tow. we were taking it to my brothers shop to paint it but a tow truck driver put a lock on their gate the wrong way and locked us out. that is why he is comming out to paint it today. I just hope I can slide it onto the frame, that roofing tar you gave me is some sticky stuff it will not be easy

P.S. how did you go about registering your trailer with texdot?

thanks
Steve J.

GO SPURS GO
TRAIL-OF-TEARS
Donating Member

Postby Rocosil » Mon May 23, 2005 3:37 pm

"I just hope I can slide it onto the frame, that roofing tar you gave me is some sticky stuff it will not be easy"

I've come across several remarks about the use of roofing tar as a protective coating for TD floors and trailer frames and its being less than pleasant to work with, mostly because it takes such a long time to dry. Has anyone tried using coaltar epoxy (Sold by, among others, Z-Spar as "Poxitar") instead? It's also messy to apply, but it does set up a lot faster than roofing tar and, while it gives a harder finish, it still has a enough flexibility left in it to resist chipping. I'm asking because I have used it on steel boats over Pettit's Rustlok and for undercoating on cars, and I still have a gallon of the stuff left that I could save for if and when I ever get to build a Teardrop. ;)
Rocosil
Teardrop Inspector

Postby TRAIL-OF-TEARS » Mon May 23, 2005 3:46 pm

Rocosil wrote:I've come across several remarks about the use of roofing tar as a protective coating for TD floors and trailer frames and its being less than pleasant to work with, mostly because it takes such a long time to dry. Has anyone tried using coaltar epoxy (Sold by, among others, Z-Spar as "Poxitar") instead? It's also messy to apply, but it does set up a lot faster than roofing tar and, while it gives a harder finish, it still has a enough flexibility left in it to resist chipping. I'm asking because I have used it on steel boats over Pettit's Rustlok and for undercoating on cars, and I still have a gallon of the stuff left that I could save for if and when I ever get to build a Teardrop. ;)

Rocosil,
I think that should work very well. as long as it keeps the water out you should be fine. If I were to build another one the same way I will just put 3-4 coats of spar varnish on the bottom and go.
Steve J.

GO SPURS GO
TRAIL-OF-TEARS
Donating Member

Check my Gallery

Postby TRAIL-OF-TEARS » Fri May 27, 2005 7:47 am

The pictures are in my personal gallery. Two things I found out as I rolled the trailer home. 1) it bounces like crazy without any weight on it. so much that I lost one of my lights. 2) It is really short and my truck is really long so it makes it a pain to back up.
Steve J.

GO SPURS GO
TRAIL-OF-TEARS
Donating Member

Postby SteveH » Fri May 27, 2005 8:14 am

Steve,

Something is wrong as this is what I get when I click on your gallery:

"The personal gallery of TRAIL-OF-TEARS is empty or has not been created"
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Fri May 27, 2005 8:19 am

I don't see a gallery for Trail-of-tears.

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby TRAIL-OF-TEARS » Fri May 27, 2005 11:47 am

oops,
I mean you can get to my pictures from the hall of fame. sorry for that.
Steve J.

GO SPURS GO
TRAIL-OF-TEARS
Donating Member

Postby angib » Fri May 27, 2005 5:20 pm

I like that chassis and particularly the disc wheels - so much more appropriate for a teardrop than the eight spoke.

But are you sure your tow vehicle is man enough for the job? Looks a bit dainty to me. :roll:

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Chris C » Fri May 27, 2005 6:23 pm

I'd like to see your new chassis.............but I can't figure out how to pull it up! :oops: I've clicked on everything but my shirt buttons. How about a tip.
Chris :D

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Teardrop Trailer Build Pictures: http://tinyurl.com/px5cd
Chris C

Postby mikeschn » Fri May 27, 2005 6:26 pm

The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby asianflava » Fri May 27, 2005 6:39 pm

Nice frame looks tiny behind your truck. At least you put lights on yours. After we welded mine up, I towed it home that night, no lights, no chains, no tag. I think my buddy wanted to go home because he was the one who said not to bother. It was only 3 miles around midnight, plus he followed behind me.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby JunkMan » Fri May 27, 2005 7:25 pm

Steve,

Looks great, glad to see someone is building lightweight frames. I'm overbuilding my first frame, but am planning something lighter for my second, really like the looks of yours.

I agree with Angib, I love those wheels, where did you get them? What I really want are the same wheels, only painted, with the trim rings and baby moons.
Jeff & Odie
Black Hills of South Dakota
JunkMan
500 Club

Postby Cary Winch » Fri May 27, 2005 8:47 pm

Wow, that is a nice frame. It resembles our Camp-Inn frames alot. Virtually identical with only small differences. I think the color is even the same.

Same wheels we use too.

The whole unit is looking very good actually.

Cary
Cary Winch
Teardrop Manufacturer

Next

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques