What Are Your Favorite Clamps?

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Postby Ron Dickey » Thu May 26, 2005 11:26 am

Endo and asiaflava

Good ideas I have an old non running car maybe I will put it to some use. I also have a Farm tractor weight I can bairly lift. any one tried spare tires,
or car jacks in between two sollid places?

Junk man try making a poll out of this!

just had a thought if your spouse or kids just sit or lie on the sofa or chair you could move the TV into the shop and the sofa or chair. You will finnally have figured how to get real use out of the frustraions that TV cause for unused energy.
My wife sleeps infront of the TV if I turn it off she wakes up and says Hey!!

Ron D.
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby Larwyn » Thu May 26, 2005 12:03 pm

doug hodder wrote:Home depot has a really "cheap" spring clamp. They're only a buck and will do just about the same thing as a Pony spring clamp. The drawback is that the vinyl grips slip off. Hey I can get 3 times as many clamps for the dough however. And if you need about 20 of them, it beats 60$ for the pony ones. I buy them 10 at a time occasionally to add to the collection. I ask for the vice grip bar clamps as Christmas gifts and B-day. For heavy weights, I go by the tire shops and ask if they have a bucket of wheel weights that they don't want. I melt them down and pour them into a mold. Got tons of lead and lead/zinc weights. I also have a collection of short pieces of rail road iron. They make great anvils....Doug Hodder

The clamps I use the most are the Vise Grip "C clamps", the ones that actually look like a pair of Vise Grip Pliers C clamp like jaws (expensive but reliable. Use the spring clamps mostly when I run out of Vise Grips. The 5 foot pipe clamps of course have been really useful. For bar clamps I stick to my old Jorgensens, I've found the Quick Grips to be too bulky, weak, and finicky in my opinion (just don't like em). Of course my all time favorite "clamp" is pictured below.

Well, I USED to know how to make the pictures work..... :(
Larwyn

Keeper of the Most Out Of Control Shop (2005)

I feel bad for the man that cannot spell a word more than one way. Mark Twain
Larwyn
Mad Kilted Texan

Postby mikeschn » Thu May 26, 2005 12:13 pm

The new way to make pictures work is to change the work page to the word pic in the url that you paste...

Sorry about that... I'll have to post some help information in the menu for that!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby IraRat » Thu May 26, 2005 1:25 pm

All I can say is that after seeing Larwyn in that photo, I REALLY want to party with this guy!!!
--Ira

"My HD and Wal-Mart have been out of Titebond for weeks, and I think it's a communist conspiracy."
IraRat
Forum Storyteller

Postby mikeschn » Thu May 26, 2005 1:26 pm

You'll have your chance soon... The ren festival is in Texas Oct 1st to Nov 20th...

http://www.texrenfest.com/

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby IraRat » Thu May 26, 2005 1:36 pm

mikeschn wrote:You'll have your chance soon... The ren festival is in Texas Oct 1st to Nov 20th...

http://www.texrenfest.com/

Mike...

Florida to Texas for one of those great Turkey Legs?

Would love to do it, but that's one heck of a drive.
--Ira

"My HD and Wal-Mart have been out of Titebond for weeks, and I think it's a communist conspiracy."
IraRat
Forum Storyteller

Postby JunkMan » Thu May 26, 2005 1:55 pm

Ron Dickey wrote:Junk man try making a poll out of this!

Ron,

That's why I didn't try it as a poll, I knew there would be too many answers :lol:

I am getting a lot of good ideas though (like what I can do with that heavy set of dumbells I bought a couple of years ago) :roll:

Larwyn, I never even thought about using my Vise Grip clams on my tear, they are with my welding stuff, not my woodworking tools.

I was actually looking for more people to say "don't use XXXX clamp it's junk" or "XXXXX brand is my favorite, they work great". I personally think the Craftsman quick clamp works good, and was well thought out, but am disapointed in the Irwin. Was hoping for input on other brands.
Jeff & Odie
Black Hills of South Dakota
JunkMan
500 Club

Postby asianflava » Thu May 26, 2005 4:22 pm

Larwyn wrote:

Don't drop that on your head. I see it happen all the time... on cartoons.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby doug hodder » Thu May 26, 2005 10:48 pm

Ira Rat wrote: Florida to Texas for one of those great Turkey Legs?

I really think that Lawryn would take offense at your comments on how he appears in a Kilt................ :lol: :lol: Doug Hodder
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Larwyn » Sat May 28, 2005 12:14 am

IraRat wrote:All I can say is that after seeing Larwyn in that photo, I REALLY want to party with this guy!!!

Well, finish up that teardrop. I'm sure at some time in the future we will be at the same gathering. Just come on by the camp, my lady Lanza and I will likely have a picture of Magaritas and few pints of Guinness to share, my Margaritas have a good (bad?) reputation amoung my Ren Faire camping friends..... :thumbsup:
Larwyn

Larwyn
Mad Kilted Texan

Postby Larwyn » Sat May 28, 2005 12:29 am

JunkMan wrote:
Ron Dickey wrote:Junk man try making a poll out of this!

Larwyn, I never even thought about using my Vise Grip clams on my tear, they are with my welding stuff, not my woodworking tools.

Yep, my vise grip clamps purty much live on my welding cart too. As do those great Wilton C clamps, which serve very well as either C clamps or gravity concentration devices... :)

Seems that many metal working tools come in handy with the wood working too. :thumbsup:
Larwyn

Larwyn
Mad Kilted Texan

Postby Larwyn » Sat May 28, 2005 12:31 am

doug hodder wrote:Ira Rat wrote: Florida to Texas for one of those great Turkey Legs?

I really think that Lawryn would take offense at your comments on how he appears in a Kilt................ :lol: :lol: Doug Hodder

:lol: :lol: Good one Doug :lol: :lol:
Larwyn

Larwyn
Mad Kilted Texan

Postby doug hodder » Sat May 28, 2005 2:00 am

Hope you didn't take offense, It was there, someone had to pick it up and run with it................Doug Hodder 8)
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

NOT my Favorite Clamps

Postby Dee Bee » Sat May 28, 2005 6:12 am

I used c clamps in my build occassionally. But what I really wanted to share is that I also used a set of spring clamps from Harbor Freight Tools. I broke 4 of them so far. The plastic handles broke off the fulcrum. Of the remaining ones half of the pivot pads at the buisness end of the clamp have broken off.

I only paid 9 buck for the complete set of 12. I gues it proves the point you get what you pay for...

They served their purpose, and I will be able to finish the build without buying any more. Would I buy HF plastic clamps again? Probably not.

DEE BEE
Grace happens...
Dee Bee
500 Club

Postby Boodro » Sat May 28, 2005 11:28 pm

Looks like Larwyn is into HEAVY Metal! :rofl2: :rofl2: :chicken: Hey Larwyn ,did you do the music poll? Just wondering. Keep up the good work.
We are all travelers in this world , from the sweet grass to the packin house , birth till death , we travel between the eternities . ( Robert Duvall as Prentiss Ritter)
Boodro
1000 Club
1000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques