Tool questions...

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Tool questions...

Postby Shrug53 » Sun Jun 20, 2004 4:26 pm

I have a couple of tool questions:

1. What gauge nails does everyone use? I see a lot of air nail guns for around $30.00 but that is for 18 or 16 gauge nails. Larger gauges get a lot more expensive.

2. I am already planning on getting a basic table saw (so I can build shelves, storage units etc.) for our new house and I already have a heavy duty jigsaw. Is that adequate or do you folks think I need a band saw as well?

3. Harbor frieght has a 90 AMP FLUX WIRE WELDER (so I do not need gas) for only $119.99 Will that be good for welding up a frame or do I actually need a MIG welder?

Many thanks!
"Better living through reckless experimentation"
http://www.forgottenclassics.com
Shrug53
500 Club

Postby jay » Sun Jun 20, 2004 6:11 pm

screw & glue

nix the nails
jay
Donating Member

Postby Larry Messaros » Sun Jun 20, 2004 9:24 pm

I would agree with Jay, stay with screws and glue. Brad nailers are great for doing moldings in houses, but for most construction on a trailer, I would stay with screws and glue. (and clamps)

I would definitely go with a table saw, and I would look for one with a good fence that is sturdy and accurate as well as smooth and easy to use. A smooth and accurate fence makes all the difference in making woodworking a better experience.

I wouldn't worry about the band saw unless you are doing a lot of curve work. The jigsaw should be more than capable of doing the job.

:D
Larry Messaros
:snow
Cariboo Country: If you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes!
Larry Messaros
Platinum Donating Member

Postby tdhombre » Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:42 am

I agree witht the screw and glue approach. I used various length "dry wall" screws which worked great.

Regarding tools: a good table saw, jig saw and cordless drill are really necessary. They only need be home shop quality. I wouldn't recommend spending a lot of money as really good ones are readily avilable at reasonable prices. Shop around.

Oh, an clamps - you need LOTS of clamps of various sizes. Mine were mostly 2 inch but I also had a couple of 4 inch C-clamps that saved the day on several occasions.

I only used my brad nailer for interior molding and finish work.

Have fun and take your time. Its easy to cut another piece of wood, not so easy to grow a new finger. :D
tdhombre
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Shrug53 » Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:55 am

I cant grow new fingers? Now you tell me!!
Sounds good though. Do you guys drill pilot holes for the screws or just go right in. I know drywall screws are pretty good at cutting their own way in.
Clamps... forgot all about that!

Do a lot of you folks make do without a router? I have been thinking of getting one, though I have never actually used one. I am an OK woodworker, but never really built anything more than simple storage cabinets for the garage, a workbench, speaker boxes, etc. No fancy joints or anything.

I have picked up a couple of good books on woodworking at the used book store though. Trying to learn what I can on paper before my house is ready.

I really appreciate all the advice everyone gives!
Shrug53
500 Club

Postby tdhombre » Mon Jun 21, 2004 11:06 am

Shrug53 wrote:1. Do you guys drill pilot holes for the screws or just go right in.
2. Do a lot of you folks make do without a router?

Re 1: I predrilled all the screw holes with a counter sink bit so that the heads were either recessed (and later filled with wood filler) or flush (and left as is.)
Re 2: I used my router with a "plunge" cutter bit to great effectiveness for doors and vent openings. You should have a pattern or guide to do that. A "veneer" bit ( the one with the roller on the end) was also used to cut around a profile pattern. I used this one, for example to cut the side profiles using one side as the pattern for the other. Worked GREAT.

However, one can free-hand the side profiles with the jig saw, clamp the two side profiles together and sand them to match (or clamp them to gether and cut them at the same time.) More effort but saves the cost of the router.

Lots of alternatives as I am sure everyone will attest to!

D.
tdhombre
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Chip » Mon Jun 21, 2004 11:35 am

glue and screw,,,glue and screw,,,check out Gorilla glue or the PL glue man that stuff is the best thing since rolled paper towels,,,its GREAT,,,just one word of warning,,if ya get it on anything you dont want glued,,oh well its there,,fingers, clothes, hair, shoes,,,its a bear to get off once its there,,, as far as screws the coated deck screws that look like dry wall screws work real good with pilot holes drilled first,,

chip
Living large,,,travling small !!!
54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Serro Scotty rebuild(in progress)
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Shrug53 » Mon Jun 21, 2004 11:42 am

Ok, so no using gorilla glue while naked! Got ya!
Shrug53
500 Club

Postby Chip » Mon Jun 21, 2004 11:59 am

:lol: :lol: shrugg yup I learned it the hard way,,and pulling it out of chest hair aint fun,,
Living large,,,travling small !!!
54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Serro Scotty rebuild(in progress)
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques