You are about to be framed

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

You are about to be framed

Postby Ron Dickey » Thu May 26, 2005 12:23 pm

All right building a trailer frame is not totaly out of the books after seeing the timple frame of the road toads trailer frame.

I know what the good parts were. But What those with basic knowledge need to know is.

What mistakes did you make and how did you correct them.

And next time would you have a pro make it if you could afford it.

Are there any places make trailers on a regular basis?

safty tips

look under polls for more. http://tnttt.com/viewto ... 4778#34778

Good times(I did this part right) :applause:
worst times (my worst bobo) :x

just worndering :thinking:

Ron D.
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Re: You are about to be framed

Postby Joanne » Thu May 26, 2005 3:19 pm

Ron Dickey wrote:All right building a trailer frame is not totaly out of the books after seeing the timple frame of the road toads trailer frame.

I know what the good parts were. But What those with basic knowledge need to know is.

What mistakes did you make and how did you correct them.

And next time would you have a pro make it if you could afford it.

Are there any places make trailers on a regular basis?

safty tips

look under polls for more. http://tnttt.com/viewto ... 4778#34778

Good times(I did this part right) :applause:
worst times (my worst bobo) :x

just worndering :thinking:

Ron D.

Let's see,

I started with an *old* boat trailer that needed to be completely rebuilt in order to work for a camping trailer. Still, I figured that I would save time and money starting with it. In retrospect, it took a *lot* longer and more money than I expected. I also had delays trying to find parts for it. I tried to buy new hubs but they don't make them any more. Then I had to track down new seals, bearings, races, dustcaps and lugnuts. I spent almost as much as buying a new axle. :cry: If I were to do it again I would buy raw steel and start from scratch. It may cost a bit more but it would certainly take less time.

That said, I still think a boat trailer is a good starting point if it's close to the correct size and isn't in bad shape.

Would I have a "pro" do it? No, I really enjoy saying, "I built that trailer!".

Joanne
New! My Camp Cooking Forum

Project Desert Dawg website

Universal Health Care
Health care with the efficiency of the Department of Motor Vehicles
and the compassion of the Internal Revenue Service.
Joanne
Queen of Cast Iron

Postby TRAIL-OF-TEARS » Thu May 26, 2005 3:36 pm

I would build one from scratch again. my biggest head ache was I had no were to plug my welder in at I could find 220v but it would be 20 or 30 amps not the 50A I needed. so I rented a welder and went to work cost break down was 70.00 for the steel, 230+- for the axle and 60 for the welder for the weekend. I spent about 7 hours cutting it and welding and another 1 painting it. The biggest thing to remember is to measure twice and cut once.
Steve J.

Home built Camp-Inn clone.
GO SPURS GO
TRAIL-OF-TEARS
Donating Member

Postby JunkMan » Thu May 26, 2005 7:35 pm

TRAIL-OF-TEARS, I agree (a voice of experience) :oops: The biggest thing to remember is to measure twice and cut once.

Since I don't have a pic of my frame yet (it's not finished), I'll use one that Jerome (dguff) just posted on another thread

I really like the diagonal braces for the tounge, they strengthen the tongue as well as remove a lot of the flex from the frame because they attach to the crossmembers. I usually bring mine all the way out to the side rails. They are also a nice place to mount your side marker lights, and keep them out of the way. I think you can get away with a thinner walled tounge if you use braces.

Don't know why the pic isn't displaying :thinking:
Jeff & Odie
Black Hills of South Dakota
JunkMan
500 Club

Postby mikeschn » Thu May 26, 2005 7:46 pm

The forum can't handle bmp. If you can change it to anything else, it will display...

Mike...

P.S. BMPs are huge, that's why they are not allowed. That was the decision of the authors of phpBB!!!
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby JunkMan » Thu May 26, 2005 7:56 pm

mikeschn wrote:The forum can't handle bmp. If you can change it to anything else, it will display...

Mike...

Thanks Mike,

I guess that's what I get for trying to use someone elses picture :oops:

For some reason I can save my own pics as gif's but can't change this one from a bmp. Guess I'll have to finish my frame this weekend so I can use my own pic :R
Jeff & Odie
JunkMan
500 Club

Postby mikeschn » Thu May 26, 2005 8:02 pm

Here ya go...

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby JunkMan » Thu May 26, 2005 8:06 pm

Thanks Mike :shake hands:
Jeff & Odie
JunkMan
500 Club

Postby DoWopBox » Fri Jun 24, 2005 6:37 am

TRAIL-OF-TEARS wrote:I would build one from scratch again. my biggest head ache was I had no were to plug my welder in at I could find 220v but it would be 20 or 30 amps not the 50A I needed. so I rented a welder and went to work cost break down was 70.00 for the steel, 230+- for the axle and 60 for the welder for the weekend. I spent about 7 hours cutting it and welding and another 1 painting it. The biggest thing to remember is to measure twice and cut once.

Or do it like we do... measure with a micrometer, mark it with chalk and cut it with an axe. :lol:
Aerodynamics is overated
DoWopBox
Teardrop Advisor

Postby ceebe » Sat Jun 25, 2005 10:49 am

Or do it like we do... measure with a micrometer, mark it with chalk and cut it with an axe.

Sounds like you worked for Boeing !!
ceebe
Teardrop Master

Postby cracker39 » Tue Jul 05, 2005 4:32 pm

Jeff,

Did you try to use MS Paint to resave the BMP file to a GIF or JPG? If that won't work, I have an old graphics that I found years ago that has low memory usage, but has lots of features to modify graphics. Email me at [email protected] and I'll send it to you. There is no documentation, but some help built in.

Dale
Dale

Sometimes I pretend to be normal. But, that gets boring...so I go back to being me.

Squidget Pop Top Build Pages http://www.thesquidget.com/ptbuild/ptbuild.html

Squidget and Pop Top Plans Info and Photos: http://www.TheSquidget.com
cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques