Need your galley design and use tips...

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Need your galley design and use tips...

Postby DANL » Sun Jun 20, 2004 7:21 pm

Here are a couple of questions for all of you who use the galleys in teardrops.

What was the best idea, product, or modification you made to your galley/kitchen?
Is there something you didn’t you do that you wish you had done?

My wife is starting to get excited about the prospect of having everything organised in one compartment and NOT having to live out of half a dozen camping containers stored in the back of the pickup.

It would help me immensely to have your suggestions so that we get as good a galley as possible the first time around and don’t have to learn everything the hard way.

Many thanks!
The tiny trailer in the avatar is designed to carry our recumbents and sometimes sleep in. We LOVE having a kitchen in the woods and a place for most of our gear.
Dan Jones http://sunsetlanding.com/teardrop/teardrop_intro.html
DANL
Donating Member

Postby beverlyt » Sun Jun 20, 2004 7:34 pm

Dan,
I can tell you what NOT to do.
Don't cut your hinge too short...(leave it the entire 4' length it comes in, rather you think the plans call for it or not)
and make sure your stove will fit WITH the galley door shut.
We learned this the hard way. :cry:
Bev
beverlyt
500 Club

Postby MikeM » Wed Jun 23, 2004 7:49 pm

DANL,

The strongest rule of thumb when designing the galley is simple: "Don't upset the cook".

I thought of everything we would need to take with us to use for cooking and meal prep. And then tried to figure out where and how to put it. Then I thought of our own kitchen and the layout. From that I put drawers down below with a pullout tray for the stove and Ice Chest. Then I put doors in the upper cabinets.

While I was designing the galley I also looked at the pictures of the galleies of the different tears that people have posted on the web. Seems like they post more pictures of the gallies than the rest of the trailer.

Try to be economical with the space you have. Some have a water jug in the galley. I am putting a fresh water tank under the floor to create more space. And a regular fridge is going to take up a lot more space than an Ice Chest will. Since it's just one or two of you you don't need a lot of flatware or silverware. Plasticware and paper plates are lighter and easier to wash when done.

But, just study what others have done, then pick a little of this and a little of that. That is my philosophy.

Good luck and "don't upset the cook"
Mike
MikeM
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques