Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Re: Attaching the windows to the teardrop

Postby Jolly Roger » Wed Jun 01, 2005 6:26 pm

(The ones I ordered are white, though. Not pink--cause I'm ALL man!)[/quote]

GREAT KNOBS!!
Jolly Roger
Teardrop Advisor

Postby IraRat » Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:28 am

Since I'm using two, Andrew, it will open on both sides. Just a matter of deciding whether in practice, it will work best with the screen on the exterior unit or the interior unit. (The plan was for one to have the glass, the other, the screen.)

Also, since I haven't really studied the units under a microscope, there may be a way to incorporate a screen without having to remove the glass. Which means I can replace the interior glass with opaque material for privacy.

And Mike, future perfect? You must have LOVED your high school French teacher! Who remembers this stuff???

And Roger--I was DYING to say that, but I didn't want Mike to edit me.
--Ira

"My HD and Wal-Mart have been out of Titebond for weeks, and I think it's a communist conspiracy."
IraRat
Forum Storyteller

Postby Woody » Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:40 pm

asianflava wrote:
Woody and Ira will be jealous of your port holes.

Nice port holes! I found some like that, but the spigot was not deep enough. Since I had already built the doors, it was kinda late to reinvent the wheel on that style. I had found four 22 inch Bomar Eliptical flip up portlights for $15.00 each with the stainless trim rings at the fleamarket in april, so I went with them instead. Now both teardrops have them installed
Woody
The Tear Jerker's, Florida Chapter Director
E-mail: [email protected]
Tear jerker chapter site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Check the SE section for gathering information
Tear Jerkers new site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Enjoying life in 12 ounce increments is what it's about
Woody
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby fornesto » Fri Jun 03, 2005 7:01 pm

When installing windows on doors, remember that the shock of the door closing will tend to jiggle the windows. I put a very healthy bead of silicone around the edges (enought to squeeze out) and screwed them in from the outside (lil'bear windows). Since I used 1/2" doors with no insulation, I needed windows that could exterior mount. If you have the depth, go ahead and screw them through the jambs. I think the cushioning of the silicone is most important along with a good closing door. It took a lot of banging to get mine right.
fornesto
Donating Member

Postby asianflava » Fri Jun 03, 2005 7:32 pm

When I bought my windows the guy gave me this sealer to put down. It is kind of like a rope caulk but much thicker than any I've seen at the store.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby metoady » Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:03 pm

just use duck tape it wil hold anything :R :R

just finished my door, turned the window 90'
went from horz to vert loooks better that way
took almost 2hours to get my handle mounted
wow what fun :o :thumbsup:
Some days it not even worth chewing
through the restraints.......

http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/album_ ... ser_id=838
metoady
Teardrop Master

Postby Jolly Roger » Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:36 pm

IraRat wrote:Also, since I haven't really studied the units under a microscope, there may be a way to incorporate a screen without having to remove the glass. Which means I can replace the interior glass with opaque material for privacy.

I did what you are trying to do. What I did was to adhere the screen to the outside wall directly and then put the mounting ring on top of it. You could do it on the inside and it would work just as well. Since I used real brass ship portholes, I don't have double paned glass, just really think interior glass and screen on the outside. They are somewhat heavy, but so are my walls. I don't have any problems with window vibration since they are so heavy.

Paul (Jolly Roger)
Jolly Roger
Teardrop Advisor

Postby IraRat » Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:50 am

Jolly Roger wrote:
IraRat wrote:Also, since I haven't really studied the units under a microscope, there may be a way to incorporate a screen without having to remove the glass. Which means I can replace the interior glass with opaque material for privacy.

I did what you are trying to do. What I did was to adhere the screen to the outside wall directly and then put the mounting ring on top of it. You could do it on the inside and it would work just as well. Since I used real brass ship portholes, I don't have double paned glass, just really think interior glass and screen on the outside. They are somewhat heavy, but so are my walls. I don't have any problems with window vibration since they are so heavy.

Paul (Jolly Roger)

I'm not worried about the weight because these portholes aren't that heavy at all. I already have two, I just ordered two more, and like I said, I think I'm going to replace the glass with plexi or similar material.

My MAIN concern is the size of the window, the glass--which is pretty small. I'm kind of balancing two considerations--how much I'm actually going to be looking OUTSIDE of that window, and how the size looks in scale to the Cubby. The scale is going to be great, but I don't know about the other.
--Ira

"My HD and Wal-Mart have been out of Titebond for weeks, and I think it's a communist conspiracy."
IraRat
Forum Storyteller

Postby Jolly Roger » Mon Jun 06, 2005 8:22 pm

My MAIN concern is the size of the window, the glass--which is pretty small. I'm kind of balancing two considerations--how much I'm actually going to be looking OUTSIDE of that window, and how the size looks in scale to the Cubby. The scale is going to be great, but I don't know about the other.

I don't think you will have a problem with the size... from a viewing perspective. Mine are pretty small. the panes are approximately 5 X 10.
They give me a good view of the outside while at the same time providing some pretty good privacy. I think you'll like your decision to use them.
Jolly Roger
Teardrop Advisor

Postby IraRat » Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:33 am

Thanks, Roger. That's what I thought. From a privacy standpoint, I think my wife would like the smaller window anyway.
--Ira

IraRat
Forum Storyteller

Previous

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques