Welding questions...

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Welding questions...

Postby Shrug53 » Mon Jun 21, 2004 11:31 am

I think this may hae gotten lost in one of my other posts, so I thought I would ask seperately.

I am considering building my own trailer and was wondering if a 90 AMP FLUX WIRE WELDER (which is only $119.00 from Harbor Freight) will do the trick, or do I need an actual mig with gas?
I am new to welding and will be happy just to have a strong joint and not to burn my thumbs off!

Many thanks!
"Better living through reckless experimentation"
http://www.forgottenclassics.com
Shrug53
500 Club

Postby Green Horn » Mon Jun 21, 2004 1:31 pm

I have done alot of welding but im no expert.I'll try to help.

Flux cored arc welding is internal shielding instead of external shielding which is mig with gas .Flux cored welding can endure a strong breeze unlike mig using external gas which can be blown away from the weld outside by the least little wind.The only real prob. that ive found with flux welding is the splatter so you will have to clean the left over slag after your done.

The higher amperage range of your machine the less time it takes and the higher gauge material you can weld.Saving time like getting it done in a single pass instead of making a second or third pass.The 90 amp your talking about will prob. be fine if your not going to weld anything over 1/4" to weld anything bigger than that you will need a higher amperage machine ,but for anything say from 1/16" to 1/8" would be great and 1/4" will work you will prob. just have to make several passes..Also i think the wire you will want to use in that machine is flux cored .035" wire.In fact it may be the only wire you can use in that machine.

Again im no expert so see what everyone else says.

John In Bama
Green Horn
Teardrop Builder

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques