Trimmed Today

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Postby ralaco » Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:27 pm

Just be careful, those plastic corner trim, for sure are not UV protected and are going to get old very soon and water is going to make some damage.
:cry: :x

Raul
ralaco
Teardrop Master

Postby Chris C » Sun Jun 05, 2005 10:46 pm

I agree. I was in the plastic business for 27 years, and that material is a butyl-based product and it's life expectancy when exposed to ultraviolet light is way below minimal. :cry: I'd do my best to keep it out of the sun as much as possible. (like when you are storing it) Don't be surprised if you use your tear a lot and only get about a year out of that material.
Chris :D

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Teardrop Trailer Build Pictures: http://tinyurl.com/px5cd
Chris C

Postby IraRat » Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:39 am

Can it be coated for something with protection? Putting any considerations about discoloring the trim aside, wouldn't a high-UV protection varnish give it a long life? Or is that just barking up the wrong tree?
--Ira

"My HD and Wal-Mart have been out of Titebond for weeks, and I think it's a communist conspiracy."
IraRat
Forum Storyteller

Postby madjack » Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:51 am

...I have been in the construction biz off and on most of my life and I hate using that stuff in an inside setting because it will get brittle with age, protecting it from UV's will give you some use out of it but I would consider it temp at best...do you really want to trust your investment in labor/money/love that you have in your TD to something that WILL eventually fail???? Annealing aluminum is not that difficult and a good rubber mallet and a block of wood will take care of most of your problems with the aluminum trim.
However it is up to you...YMMV
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Chris C » Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:55 am

I've worked with a lot of materials in my lifetime, but given a choice between aluminum and butyl-based products for outdoor exposure, I'll always choose aluminum..............just my $.02 worth.
Chris :D

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Teardrop Trailer Build Pictures: http://tinyurl.com/px5cd
Chris C

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques