Last chance for the skylight

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Last chance for the skylight

Postby Southern Oregon Bob » Tue Jun 07, 2005 10:58 pm

I would love to have a 16"x42" skylight in my tear and I'm at the point where it is now or never. As far as the cook like a lobster concerns, I think I have enough thickness in the ceiling for a couple of tracks for a retracktable blind. My big concern is leaking. I see people on this board who won't even put in a vent for that reason. If one does everything right at the install do I have a chance that it would not leak for many years to come or am I just asking for trouble?
Southern Oregon Bob
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Nitetimes » Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:52 pm

I've seen several on this board, haven't heard of any of them leaking. I kind of like the idea myself. I don't see why it should leak if it's installed right, after all they stay in cars for years without being a problem, for the most part anyway.
Actually one that side with a screen mounted on the inside would make a great roof vent. When it's not raining of course, it would be kind of cool to watch it rain at night too or just lay and stare at the stars.
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby IraRat » Wed Jun 08, 2005 7:45 am

Bob, what kind of unit are you thinking of? You have me interested.

What's a retractable blind, and do you have a link to one?
--Ira

"My HD and Wal-Mart have been out of Titebond for weeks, and I think it's a communist conspiracy."
IraRat
Forum Storyteller

Postby Southern Oregon Bob » Wed Jun 08, 2005 9:00 am

I had given up on the idea until I saw an aftermarket crankopen auto skylight at a swapmeet this weekend for 10$. After getting it home I started worring about the seal on the opening part and since I still plan on a fantastic fan I decided to just go with a flat panel that does not open. I like the idea of not only looking at the stars but the trees overhead and the clouds rolling by. I read Deans explanation on how to install a flat panel on the side but was wondering if that would be the best way to install one on the top. A diagram of the install would be great if anyone had one. As far as the horizontal blind, I've seen them installed in home skylights that were seperate from the unit that looked like would work. If you used an opening skylight they make a screen that rolls into a cube and rolls out on a track that would probably even double for a shade. I've seen those on mobil homes but I haven't looked into a source for either. Thanks in advance for the flat panel install diagram it really helped. Bob
Southern Oregon Bob
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques