Removing varnish

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Postby Miriam C. » Mon May 31, 2010 3:22 pm

afreegreek wrote:
Miriam C. wrote::? :shock: OMG. Donotdothisathome.....

You know that wonderful smelling ORANGE stripper...well it leaves orange stuff on the plywood. If fact even Acetone won't get it off without some serious scrubbing. AND if you don't notice the orange stuff until the next morning.... :cry:

Did I say I was trying to not hurt myself...... Gonna look like Popeye.... This was just plain dumb...
you are better off just letting the wood dry after the stripper and sand the discoloured wood away.. try a test spot first to see if it hasn't penetrated too far but likely it is only the first few layers of cells and sanding should remove it.. if you use a thinner like acetone etc it is likely to just carry the stain further in..

chem strippers work well but they are risky. I've been in the trade for 25 or so years and I can count on the fingers of one hand the times we've used strippers. a proper cabinet scraper is the fastest safest way.

Oops too late :lol: Good thing the Acetone worked huh. I have about half sanded with really good 3M paper now and it looks good. Free from the orange and the original stain. Think I will not stain this time and use some spar Urethane that says it ambers the wood. I love that effect.

I didn't use the clear strippers cause they tend to eat epoxy and I would rather not go there.

Oh my arms--- :sweaty: :cigar:

DAve I am sure your arms can handle all that sanding. Go for it..... :thumbsup: ;)
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Miriam C. » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:27 pm

:D She is done, or at least the sides are done. Spar Urethane in the spray can is great. No runs or drips. The hardest part was getting that second spraying done in the 1 1/2 hour time span. The rain interfered with doing the second layer on one side and had to wait 72 hours to do it....OMG. Had to sand it between spraying.

Still have to do the top but will sand it and never mind the chemicals.

Oh and ladies Harbor Freight has a palm sander (the square one) for $10.......... :D
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Mary K » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:42 pm

Ooo Ow!! I feel your pain!! :duh:

I recoated end of summer 2008, looks like its almost due again also.

Aluminum skin is looking better and better huh? ;)
Mary K

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. Bilbo Baggins
Mary K
6000 Club
6000 Club

Postby timlsalem » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:02 pm

I'm sorry for the trouble you're having. I did stain and poly U the inside but for the outside I felt it needed more protection so I used weather proof primer and high gloss Valspar paint. I've used this before on my first tear and it was undistructable by anything mother nature could throw at it. Side note, I took it to a car wash regularly and always looked as the day I painted it. ;)
KIA'S--MIA'S--POW'S--DAV'S--are what our freedom cost us
timlsalem
Teardrop Master

Postby 48Rob » Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:28 pm

She is done, or at least the sides are done. Spar Urethane in the spray can is great. No runs or drips. The hardest part was getting that second spraying done in the 1 1/2 hour time span. The rain interfered with doing the second layer on one side and had to wait 72 hours to do it....OMG. Had to sand it between spraying.

Miriam,

I'm glad to hear you got it done, and that you are happy! :applause:

I'm wondering though, if two really thin coats sprayed on will really give you enough protection to prevent the same issue with moisture getting under the finish...

I'm sure not trying to be negative, but also don't want you to have a false sense of security, then be faced with the same problem next year.
A little more now may make a huge difference.
Usually it takes a minimum of 4-6 coats, brushed, to get complete coverage, and a thick enough skin to hold up for a few years.

I've been doing woodworking projects (the outdoor kind) for 35+ years, but I am not a pro.
Perhaps those with more experience will offer their thoughts too?

Rob
Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Darren » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:18 pm

Miriam - What spray urethane did you use? 4th year out and it's starting to show on mine so time to redo it over the hot months. I've been debating getting a spray gun, getting canned, or rolling it on. BTW my Helmsman Spar has held up nicely but I am able to garage it between trips. I agree with Rob, I think you need more coats.

Thanks,
Darren
Darren
the camper formerly known as Victor Star

Postby S. Heisley » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:34 pm

Congrats, Miriam, on getting so much done. Once you have it all done, please post a pic of your "face-lifted" teardrop. I'll bet it's pretty. :yes:

Yes, that spray Hellmsman Spar Urethane is nice. I accidentally put a big scratch on my inside wall (which has the Spar stuff on it). A little 220 sandpaper and a can of the spray on the area and poof! I know where it was but I can't find the scratch anymore!

Last 5 years on the outside? I've read that it should last at least 2 years on the exterior. 5 years is really good! :thumbsup:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Miriam C. » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:40 pm

Darren it is Helmsman spar Urethane. I love the rattle cans. I got a drip around the window and brushed it out fast. This stuff starts to dry almost right away.

Thanks Rob! I put 3 coats on one side that got the chemical bond and two more today after a light sanding.

The side the rain interfered with had one coat and 72hours wait a sanding and now 3 coats with a chemical bond. (3 done in 1 hour intervals.)

Unfortunately the humidity climbed way up and I don't have the gloss I wanted. I will try for gloss when I get a lower humidity.

Sharron I will get pictures. Honestly it looks almost like it did. The sides are lighter than before because the Clear Shield gave me a nice warm, honey color. It did not amber as much as it said it would.

Uh, spray and hair !!!!!!!!! Ya gotta remember to cover the hair if the wind is blowing and a respirator of some sort.

Hi Mary K. Nice to have you back and Thanks.

Tim I really love the look of wood. If this becomes a pain it will probably get some color aluminum if I can find someone to help and tell me all the lil trim parts and pieces. :oops:
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby S. Heisley » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:06 am

Supposedly, it will yellow more with time. Mine's been on for more than 6 months and I still haven't seen that happen, though. Maybe it has to be out in the sun....Don't know.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby afreegreek » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:57 am

48Rob wrote:
She is done, or at least the sides are done. Spar Urethane in the spray can is great. No runs or drips. The hardest part was getting that second spraying done in the 1 1/2 hour time span. The rain interfered with doing the second layer on one side and had to wait 72 hours to do it....OMG. Had to sand it between spraying.

Miriam,

I'm glad to hear you got it done, and that you are happy! :applause:

I'm wondering though, if two really thin coats sprayed on will really give you enough protection to prevent the same issue with moisture getting under the finish...

I'm sure not trying to be negative, but also don't want you to have a false sense of security, then be faced with the same problem next year.
A little more now may make a huge difference.
Usually it takes a minimum of 4-6 coats, brushed, to get complete coverage, and a thick enough skin to hold up for a few years.

I've been doing woodworking projects (the outdoor kind) for 35+ years, but I am not a pro.
Perhaps those with more experience will offer their thoughts too?

Rob
the problem probably originated with sanding to excessively fine grit. and not cleaning out the open pores well enough after. then all you need is a pin prick and it all starts. moist air gets is and when it warms it evaporates and causes pressure. this pressure will work the bond near the hole and it will break. every day and the little spot grows, attracts more air, more pressure etc snowballing along. with a weak bond there's little to resist.

film finishes have minimum and maximum recommended film thickness. it's on the can.. going over or under this is asking for trouble.. generally speaking, the more movement the finish is likely to see the thinner the coating. if the wood moves a lot and the film is thick it will be brittle and will crack. (looks like dry mud cracks) thinner coats are more elastic and will last longer. too thin and they will allow moisture to penetrate too quickly.. NO finish will seal out moisture completely. it's only a barrier.
afreegreek
500 Club

Postby timlsalem » Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:12 am

I'm glad you got it done the way you wanted it Miriam. Now that it is behind you, and just in time for camping season, you have more time to plan for camping trips. :applause:
KIA'S--MIA'S--POW'S--DAV'S--are what our freedom cost us
timlsalem
Teardrop Master

Postby Darren » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:02 am

Thanks Miriam. Would you make a guess as to how many cans I would need for my trailer?

You going to make it camping this weekend?

Later,
Darren
the camper formerly known as Victor Star

Postby Miriam C. » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:43 pm

Victor Star wrote:Thanks Miriam. Would you make a guess as to how many cans I would need for my trailer?

You going to make it camping this weekend?

Later,

Darren I used 5 spray cans. :roll: So far. I really am going to let this get set really good and add more layers. My TD is almost 1/3 more wood area as yours. I still need to do the roof but that will go easy cause I am going to roller it. Don't care about runs on it. 8)
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Mary K » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:43 am

S. Heisley wrote:Supposedly, it will yellow more with time. Mine's been on for more than 6 months and I still haven't seen that happen, though. Maybe it has to be out in the sun....Don't know.

Yup Sun will help, but it hurts also...UV bad!!

You can see the color change around the doors where the trim overlaps on my TD.
Mary K

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. Bilbo Baggins
Mary K
6000 Club
6000 Club

Previous

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques