LED Lights

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

LED Lights

Postby Westok » Thu Jun 24, 2004 9:31 am

Hello everyone:

Just signed up a couple of days ago. I have been experimenting with ultra-bright LED's for reading and overhead interior lights. This should keep battery-drain down. I'm undecided wether I'm completely happy with them yet. You can see pictures of my TD at:

photos.yahoo.com/westok03

When I get some time I might create a gallery at this site.
Mark Kunkel
blue skies and tailwinds
Westok
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Mike B » Thu Jun 24, 2004 10:44 am

Mark,

I have replaced both the taillights and the interior dome light with LEDs. I like the cool white color of the light. You are correct that they are not as bright, but that doesn't seem to matter to me. I used the light at both the Dam Gathering and at the Northwest Spring Fling, and really liked it.

You can see what I did at http://teardrop.blogicalthoughts.com/td_led_start.html

Mike
Hayden Lake, ID
Mike
Hayden Lake, ID
Mike B
500 Club

do it your self LED lamps

Postby Chuck Craven » Wed Aug 04, 2004 9:36 pm

Most LED dome lights are built like the tale lights. The LED’s are facing at the viewer.
LED’s have a 10 to 15 degree viewing angle. Which is more a spot light that a floodlight.
If you turn the LED’s around and reflect the light off of a reflector ether concave or convex you can get them to be brighter, than a floodlight with a 12v 2.5 amp lamp.
Many of the car / truck dome lights have only 6 LED’s in them and use a resistor to lower the 12v battery voltage. They use 8v for the 6 series wired LED’s. If you use 11 or 12 LED’s in series, you do not need a resistor and will get twice the candlepower at the same current.

Chuck
Chuck a new td builder
Chuck Craven
500 Club

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques