Bending Birch

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Postby asianflava » Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:13 am

I've also heard it called Wacky Wood, I guess it's the same thing.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Chris C » Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:19 am

Yup, it's the same product...............just a different name. (or could I get away with saying different "twist"?) :lol: :lol: :lol:
Chris :D

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Teardrop Trailer Build Pictures: http://tinyurl.com/px5cd
Chris C

Postby toypusher » Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:32 am

Chris C wrote:......................... (or could I get away with saying different "twist"?) :lol: :lol: :lol:

NO! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just kiddin now!!! :D
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby TomS » Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:32 pm

JasonTX wrote:I know this post is nearly a year old, but I just called this Boulter Plywood and was quoted a price of $34.00 a sheet for 1/8" plus $175 for shipping. I'm just curious as to how the shipping to Florida was $30 and now the big jump to $175. I also read that the owner took a trip to Vegas so maybe that'll explain the increase in shipping. I'll keep searching for another source.

When buying flexible plywood you need to specify the direction of the bend. For my build, I needed it to bend across the short, or 4-foot dimension, as I built a 5-foot wide tear. If you're building a 4-foot wide tear, you need it to bend across the long or 8-foot dimension.

If your ply bends across the 8-foot dimension, the sheets can be rolled up into a 4-foot long tube that can be shipped via UPS. If your ply bends across the 4-foot dimension, they'll roll it into an 8-foot long tube that must be shipped as oversize freight. Fortunately for me, I'm about an hour away (on a good day) from Boulter Plywood. So, shipping wasn't an issue for me.

asianflava wrote:I've also heard it called Wacky Wood, I guess it's the same thing.

No, bending birch and Wacky Wood are NOT the same thing. Bending birch is a multi-ply sheet with a birch veneer. Wacky Wood is a flexible 2-ply luan. On my build, I used Bending Birch on my interior roof skins and Wacky Wood on the exterior roof skins.
Tom Swenson
[email protected]
TomS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Ira » Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:01 pm

WOW!!!

Jason, you did your homework!

With me, the guy says, "HEY! WE'RE HAVING A HALF-PRICE SHIPPING OFFER!"

30 bucks, but...

They never got the 1/8" in stock, and I agreed to the 1/4 instead--which CAN'T be rolled into a tube. So he says they'll give me the 1/4" for the same price and same shipping charge, BUT the 1/4" has to be shipped FLAT, they ship it bound with a full sheet of OTHER ply for protection, and I have to shlep down to the Fedex near MIAMI, because they won't deliver this kind of thing to my house without someone home to "help" the guy unload it.

So I figure they took a $75 loss on my order, and maybe they're trying to recoup it with YOU. It makes no sense for 1/8", rolled in a tube, to be that expensive to ship.
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby Miriam C. » Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:46 pm

Guys
Our home depot has 1/4 bendy birch in now. Perhaps those of you who can't find can get them to order it for you.

They also got some 1/2 sanded maple and boy is it georgous.

Miriam
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby asianflava » Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:00 pm

See if you can get SKU# for it so they wll know what to look up when we ask.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:28 pm

asianflava wrote:See if you can get SKU# for it so they wll know what to look up when we ask.

I will do that tomorrow for sure. Making a list so I remember.

Miriam
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby JasonTX » Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:41 am

I'm about ready to make a 3 hr. trip to pick up 4 sheets of 1/8" bendable birch. My dilemna is transporting this stuff back. My vehicle is a ford ranger and since I have never seen bendable birch, I am just curious as to how tight this stuff can roll up. Will I be able to roll this stuff up in order for all 4 sheets to fit in the bed of my ranger?
JasonTX
Teardrop Builder

Postby Ira » Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:47 am

JasonTX wrote:I'm about ready to make a 3 hr. trip to pick up 4 sheets of 1/8" bendable birch. My dilemna is transporting this stuff back. My vehicle is a ford ranger and since I have never seen bendable birch, I am just curious as to how tight this stuff can roll up. Will I be able to roll this stuff up in order for all 4 sheets to fit in the bed of my ranger?

You're buying the stuff that bends the long way, right? So after rolling, you'll have a 4' long tube of it, correct?

No problem--it'll fit in your small bed.

The stuff will roll into like an 12" diameter.
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby JasonTX » Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:16 am

Ira wrote:
JasonTX wrote:I'm about ready to make a 3 hr. trip to pick up 4 sheets of 1/8" bendable birch. My dilemna is transporting this stuff back. My vehicle is a ford ranger and since I have never seen bendable birch, I am just curious as to how tight this stuff can roll up. Will I be able to roll this stuff up in order for all 4 sheets to fit in the bed of my ranger?

You're buying the stuff that bends the long way, right? So after rolling, you'll have a 4' long tube of it, correct?

No problem--it'll fit in your small bed.

The stuff will roll into like an 12" diameter.

Yes, that is correct on the bend direction. Thanks.
JasonTX
Teardrop Builder

Postby Ira » Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:25 am

Have fun, man! There's nothing cooler than buying lumber!
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby madjack » Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:20 am

Ira wrote:Have fun, man! There's nothing cooler than buying lumber!

...and bendy ply is such neat stuff :yes: :D ;) ............................................ 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Ira » Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:08 am

So what happened, Jason!?
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby jplock » Sat Jun 10, 2006 10:21 pm

Today I got my ceiling in using 1/8th inch luan mahogany. I found it at Sutherland Lumber for $7.99 a sheet. I will also cover the outside of my TD with two layers of this stuff covered by Aluminum. I had trouble with nailer driving nails all the way through the Luan. So I nailed through temporary sticks. This prevented nails going through the plywood. When finished I pulled the sticks off.

Keep smiling!
jplock
500 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques