Bending Birch

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Postby IraRat » Fri Jun 17, 2005 1:43 pm

All understand--so I'm hand sanding. (Yeah--I meant to say belt sander.) Gotta work with what I have and can't see buying another tool for this. Remember that whore of a sink I saw at Lowes? I'm gonna need that too soon.

I got you on the finished side. The smooth side is the visible side to be sanded and varnished. But one of my concerns is that since Im using a certain varish on my interior skins, that are also birch, doesn't it make sense to use that same varnish for the roof? Also, 3 coats didn't darken yours? Three coats REALLY darkened my exterior skins.

Well, one step at a time. I can't wait to get these spars up, because at least they will also help hold my weather tarp stay up a lot better!
--Ira

"My HD and Wal-Mart have been out of Titebond for weeks, and I think it's a communist conspiracy."
IraRat
Forum Storyteller

Postby Chris C » Fri Jun 17, 2005 3:48 pm

IraRat, finish effects different kinds of wood different ways. If, for example, I were to put a clear polyurethane finish on Birch, it will darken the Birch only slightly...........toward a warmer or yellow color. However, if I put it on a Luan (generic name for a wood in the Mahogany family) it will darken it appreciably more, and make it much much warmer, tending to go to the red colors.
Chris :D

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Teardrop Trailer Build Pictures: http://tinyurl.com/px5cd
Chris C

Postby TomS » Fri Jun 17, 2005 4:04 pm

IraRat wrote:All understand--so I'm hand sanding. (Yeah--I meant to say belt sander.) Gotta work with what I have and can't see buying another tool for this. Remember that whore of a sink I saw at Lowes? I'm gonna need that too soon.

Ugh, I hate hand sanding. I bet if you look around you can find a cheap sheet sander for $30 or less. I've got an old Myata sheet sander in my tool box. It's not nearly as fast as the orbital sander. But it'll get the job done.

IraRat wrote:I got you on the finished side. The smooth side is the visible side to be sanded and varnished. But one of my concerns is that since Im using a certain varish on my interior skins, that are also birch, doesn't it make sense to use that same varnish for the roof? Also, 3 coats didn't darken yours? Three coats REALLY darkened my exterior skins.

After you cut your skins, use the waste piece to test the varnish you plan to use. Put a couple of coats on it. Check it for color and bend it to see if it cracks. Even before applying my spar urethane, I noticed a color difference between my natural birch sides and the bending birch. The sides were darker and more red than the bending birch. Either way, the test piece will give you and idea of what to expect.

IraRat wrote:Well, one step at a time. I can't wait to get these spars up, because at least they will also help hold my weather tarp stay up a lot better!

It's a huge pcycological boost to see those roof spars go up.

I insulated my roof today. Tomorrow, I start working on my cabin cabinets.
Tom Swenson
[email protected]
TomS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby IraRat » Sun Jun 19, 2005 10:20 am

Tom, Duh...thanks for reminding me about doing the test piece! I did that for my exterior skins, but being the old fart that I am, I would have forgotten to do it here too!

I love the brilliant gloss you got using the thane (that's my new abbreviation for it), and why does the roof exactly have to match the sides anyway?

Anyway, I hope that Chris Boulter doesn't mortgage the store from Vegas before those pieces get here.
--Ira

"My HD and Wal-Mart have been out of Titebond for weeks, and I think it's a communist conspiracy."
IraRat
Forum Storyteller

Postby TomS » Sun Jun 19, 2005 5:28 pm

Ira,

This should take care of any lingering doubts you may have about bending Bending Birch.

Oh by the way, there are 3 coats of Spar Urethane on the inside of that bend..
Tom Swenson
[email protected]
TomS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby DestinDave » Sun Jun 19, 2005 5:42 pm

:shock: WOW :shock:

That's bendy.....
Reality? What a concept!
Building "The Salty Tear" - a photo log of the project.
http://www.bluezenphoto.com/p979644357
DestinDave
500 Club

Postby IraRat » Sun Jun 19, 2005 7:50 pm

Ohhhhhhhh!!!!!! Now I'm REALLY excited!!!

And I'm going to have a whole extra piece just to PLAY with!!!

I have a feeling that me and my younger son wil be playing fort soon.........
--Ira

IraRat
Forum Storyteller

Postby lmh222 » Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:54 pm

WOW that stuff is so cool! I drove 4 hours to Boulter Plywood (my mother also happens to live about an hour away from there so I multi-tasked and visited mom too). I bought the Okume marine-grade 1/8". I decided to go with marine-grade instead of flexible because I don't have too tight of a curve.

I did buy an extra piece though and wouldn't you know it - I was pulling one of the pieces of Okume out from under a piece of Luan and I snapped the Okume! At $40 per sheet I was not happy.

:cry:

It turned out that the break was only about 3 feet in from the end though so I was able to use the 5ft piece for the galley hatch - Fhew, nice save! I just kept thinking over and over that I was SOOOO glad that I got the extra sheet even if it was just for the peace of mind.

That bendable stuff is awesome though! :applause:

~Lindsey
The difference between being involved and being commited is like eggs and bacon - the chicken was involved but the pig was commited.

http://www.teardrop.myphotoalbum.com
lmh222
Teardrop Advisor

Postby IraRat » Wed Jun 22, 2005 7:28 am

lmh222 wrote: I was pulling one of the pieces of Okume out from under a piece of Luan and I snapped the Okume!

What do you mean, Lindsey? Did you break it near a piece of luan that was already in the tear? Just curious how you broke it!
--Ira

IraRat
Forum Storyteller

Postby lmh222 » Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:25 am

I stacked all of the sheets of plywood in my garage. I think that I had about 10 sheets total. The Okoume was under 4 or 5 sheets of Luan. I thought that I could just pull the Okoume out from under the luan rather than move all of the luan sheets. It was a few weeks ago so I don't even remember exactly what I did that made it crack. I just remember the CRACK sound.

Even though it turned out that I was able to use the cracked piece anyway, I realized how easily accidents do happen and it re-assured me that I was right in getting an extra piece. I would have been REALLY upset if I had to drive another 4 hours just to get 1 more piece.

Lindsey
The difference between being involved and being commited is like eggs and bacon - the chicken was involved but the pig was commited.

http://www.teardrop.myphotoalbum.com
lmh222
Teardrop Advisor

Postby JasonTX » Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:57 am

I know this post is nearly a year old, but I just called this Boulter Plywood and was quoted a price of $34.00 a sheet for 1/8" plus $175 for shipping. I'm just curious as to how the shipping to Florida was $30 and now the big jump to $175. I also read that the owner took a trip to Vegas so maybe that'll explain the increase in shipping. I'll keep searching for another source.
JasonTX
Teardrop Builder

Postby bg » Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:00 pm

Jason,

Look for "Fort Worth Plywood" in Fort Worth.
Bobby(, Kim & Wayne)
bg
500 Club

Postby JasonTX » Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:34 pm

bg wrote:Jason,

Look for "Fort Worth Plywood" in Fort Worth.

Thank you very much. Just a short 2 hour drive and the price is right. $20.80 per sheet for bendable birch. They have plenty in stock.
JasonTX
Teardrop Builder

Postby Finntec » Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:13 pm

I used 1/8" Itailan birch from Syracuse Forest Products. All the sheets were good except for the one I used on the inside. It had a void that cracked after it was installed. I didnt think it was too bad until I put the finish on. Then it really stood out. I think a shelf will go there now. In the future I will shine a bright light through the wood to check for voids.
[img]http://www.tnttt.com/gallery/image.php?image_id=7873[img][/img]
Former owner of a '05 Homebuilt TD & '87 Scamp
2012 Home built 10' Teardrop.
Finntec
The 300 Club

bendy birch

Postby oklahomajewel » Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:36 pm

Here in Oklahoma City, I called the other day to Hope Lumber (well, actually they're in Edmond) and they can get me BenderBoard , bendy plywood for about $11 a sheet. They get it in a day or two, maybe overnight. 1/8" 4x8. I didn't ask about the bending direction or if it was birch or whatever.....

EDIT 000000000 I called this week, July 5th and it's not $11 , more like $32 per sheet, and she said it only bends lengthwise. I'll check w/ Ft worth.

julie
Last edited by oklahomajewel on Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Some things are way over my head !! ...but it keeps me looking UP!
oklahomajewel
3000 Club
3000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques