Steel...

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Steel...

Postby Shrug53 » Fri Jun 25, 2004 8:20 am

I have a couple of questions on steel:

1. Where doI buy it?
2. What size should it be?
3. How do I cut it?
4. Can whoever I buy it from pre-cut it for me?

Many thanks!
"Better living through reckless experimentation"
http://www.forgottenclassics.com
Shrug53
500 Club

Postby MikeM » Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:52 am

Tony,

1) Check your yellow pages for the local steel yard. Or, contact your local welding supplies store they will know.

2) A lot of guys are using 2 x 2 or 3 x 1/8" box tubing. Depends on the weight of your trailer. The steel yard can help with sizing if you know the weight. You can also use a "C" channel for your framing, I've used both on trailers I've built and like the box tubing better.

3) The cleanest way to cut it is to use a chop saw. You can use a torch but it leaves a mess to clean up. A circular saw with a metal cutting blade would serve you well too.

4) If you have a cut list ready to go they will cut your metal for a nominal charge. But, I look at it as a way to get a new tool.

Mike M
MikeM
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Shrug53 » Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:55 am

OK, I get most of that, thanks. But what is a chop saw? I have never heard of it. Is ti only for cutting steel? I have enough big stuff that will be in the garage (like an engine stand and hoist) that I do not want something that only serves one purpose. I just can not see myself cutting steel that often.

Thanks.
Shrug53
500 Club

Postby Ken A Hood » Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:20 pm

I plan on renting 1 for the day, since it is a "specialized" tool........I have a mitre saw, but I'n not going to try cutting steel with it.

It'll end up saving me money in the long run, since I'll cut all the pieces I need, do a "dry" fit and take 'em to the welder. Since all he/she will have to do is weld the frame up and not cut I'll save some $$ on their labor.

I plan on starting very soon..just have to stop looking at what everyone has/is doing here and on the other site and DECIDE on a "final" design.

Ken
Disclaimer: I in no way resemble the avatar shown. Furthermore, I in no way have any affiliation to the Trailer Park Boys and more specifically Bubbles!
Ken A Hood
500 Club

Postby jimqpublic » Fri Jun 25, 2004 4:10 pm

MikeM wrote:Tony,

...2) A lot of guys are using 2 x 2 or 3 x 1/8" box tubing. Depends on the weight of your trailer. The steel yard can help with sizing if you know the weight. You can also use a "C" channel for your framing, I've used both on trailers I've built and like the box tubing better....
Mike M

Don't overdo it though. Fleetwood folding trailers with 12' boxes and GVWR of 3500 pounds use that same 2"x3" box tubing for the main frame rails and lighter 1"x2" box for the cross braces, then 1/16" thick C-channel for the outriggers. That's with a weak open box. The much smaller, stiffer monocoque that a teardrop offers should be fine with lighter tubing.

It seems to me that 2"x2" box tubing for the main frame rails, bumper, and tongue; and 1"x2" angle for the cross braces and outriggers (if any) would be fine for a normal sized teardrop.
Jim
2002 Chalet Arrowhead but always wanted a Teardrop
2 kids and a Dear Wife
http://community.webshots.com/user/jimqpublic
jimqpublic
The 300 Club

Steel prices in Knoxville

Postby Rebel » Fri Jun 25, 2004 6:44 pm

I checked today in the Knoxville TN market for 2" boxed steel, 11 gauge (about 1/8 in) and found the price to be $2.50 per linear ft and up. Two of the companies offered to cut to length for me. It comes in 20 ft lengths before cutting.

Getting closer :)

Rebel
Rebel

Building a Tear for Retirement
Rebel
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Shrug53 » Fri Jun 25, 2004 6:53 pm

It all sounds good. Now I just have to hope that I can weld without burning my thumbs off!
Shrug53
500 Club

Postby Shrug53 » Fri Jun 25, 2004 6:54 pm

By the way, 1/8 inch is big enough? I thought I read somewhere that it should be 3/16 or 1/4.

Thanks!
Shrug53
500 Club

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques