Swivel Jack Question...

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Postby toypusher » Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:28 am

IraRat wrote:
bledsoe3 wrote:Dean, I was in harbor freight yesterday and they have a swivel jack with a wheel that has 12 1/2 - 24 travel. Only $19.99. And no cutting and welding. Not bad if you can live with the extra 1/2 inch. See it here
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/D ... mber=41004

I'm all confused. (What else is new?)

I have the light folding HF trailer and didn't buy one yet. Would this swivel jack be okay?

If so, for $19.99, I'm going for it.

I have the Harbor Frieght 1175 trailer and that is the swivel jack that I have on mine. It should actually be overkill for the weight that it will support. (got mine on sale for only $17.95 when I got my trailer).

Kerry
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby Arne » Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:40 pm

I suspose a plate helps keep the trailer in place, but I have a tongue weight of 100# and went for a 500# swivel wheel... I do chock front and back of both trailer wheels...
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby bledsoe3 » Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:44 pm

I put it on my snowbear utility trailer and it works fine. You need to make sure it will work with the HF trailer. For $20.00 you can't beat it.
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.
bledsoe3
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby lmh222 » Tue Jun 28, 2005 4:40 pm

I'm all confused. (What else is new?)

I have the light folding HF trailer and didn't buy one yet. Would this swivel jack be okay?

Hey Ira - not sure if anyone mentioned this part but I was a bit confused about the weight rating on the tongue jacks too at first - the reason that the 800lb swing jack is OK is because it is only supporting the tongue weight. Your tongue weight will probably be less than 200 lbs so the 800lb jack is actually way more than you'll ever need - but a great deal for $19.99. That is the one that I bought too.

~Lindsey
The difference between being involved and being commited is like eggs and bacon - the chicken was involved but the pig was commited.

http://www.teardrop.myphotoalbum.com
lmh222
Teardrop Advisor

Postby emiller » Tue Jun 28, 2005 4:50 pm

8) Dean, no the grease didn't run out aand I done this to a few friends with teardrops.
emiller
Donating Member

Postby doug hodder » Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:02 pm

Here's something to think about that I found out the hard way.....I put the swivel jack on the trailer and everything was great. Then I loaded everything up in both the trailer and the truck. Guess what, I found that I was sitting a little too low for the jack to work as well as I wanted. I was still able to make it work, it was tight to begin with, but I'll be lifting the ball on the hitch a little bit so I don't have to fight it. I had 2 coolers loaded, a marine deep cycle battery, tool box and an ezy up in the truck, and most of it was sitting on the rear end as my back was screwed up and I couldn't fight getting things into the truck, oh I also had 6 gal. of water back there. Anyway, something to think about, it may be fine now, but get it loaded before you commit to the jack placement, just my experience.......Doug Hodder :oops:
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Guest » Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:53 pm

Doug,
That is some wise advice... Too bad I already have that sucker cut and welded, because I see what you are saying. :lol:
Looks like I'll be lifting the tounge by hand, just to pivot that sucker into place... The Norwegian strikes again... :lol:

Hey... I cut it apart once... I can do it again. :?

Previous

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques