Caulks and sealants

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Caulks and sealants

Postby Steve Frederick » Sat Jun 26, 2004 7:25 pm

I'm almost ready to install the roof vent, hinge the doors and hatch lid, and attach the exterior ights. The Question is, What sealant is best for each task. I was thinking of using one of those polyurethane caulks.
What do y'all think?
Blessings, Steve
Adirondacks, Upstate New York
Building Journals
The Shop Manual's 8-years old!! Thank's everyone!
New! 'Rondack Lodge Plans!Order Here!
Steve Frederick
Custom Teardrop Builder

Location: Upstate New York, Adirondacks (Great Sacandaga Lake)

Postby Joseph » Sat Jun 26, 2004 7:49 pm

Hey Steve,

I used Lexel exclusively because it's rubber-based. I heard some nasty things about silicone & aluminum on an Airstream list I'm on, but I don't know about polyurethane.

Joseph
Joseph
Teardrop Pirate

Postby tdhombre » Sat Jun 26, 2004 8:32 pm

My technical advisor recommended putty "tape". It comes in a variety of widths with approx. 25 ft. to the roll. There is a paper strip on one side that you peel off as you roll out the tape. It is firm to the touch, tacky and provides a very positive seal. The key is to not tighten down the window (or door or whatever) that you are installing and squeeze out the putty

Once installation has been completed, trim off the excess and, WaLa, a water-tight seal good for years to come.

I haven't checked but I believe you can acquire this stuff at Home Depot, Lowes, or other fine establishements of the like.

Hope this helps. Good luck.
tdhombre
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Larry Messaros » Sun Jun 27, 2004 1:44 am

I would have to agree with Dave.

I don't know anything about the Lexel that Joe used so I can't comment on it but it sounds like it would also do the job.

In the RV world the putty is what is used when putting in vents, doors, windows and other things on the outside of an RV. It's simple, effective and cheap. One of the other benefits of the putty is that it is relatively easy to clean up when repairing/replacing any components. It's what I used for my camper when I built it 20 years ago, and it's still commonly used today.
Larry Messaros
:snow
Cariboo Country: If you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes!
Larry Messaros
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Joseph » Sun Jun 27, 2004 5:11 am

Had I known about the putty I'd have definitely used it - anything you squirt from a tube gets messy and Lexel needs acetone for clean-up. Ah well, at least now I know about the tape for when I build the canned ham!

Joseph
Joseph
Teardrop Pirate

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques