Maiden Voyage - awesome except for dust cap woes

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Maiden Voyage - awesome except for dust cap woes

Postby lmh222 » Tue Jun 28, 2005 4:29 pm

Well, we went camping in the teardrop this weekend! It isn't quite done. In fact, we even brought a tarp to cover it in case of rain because it really needs trim to ensure that it will be completely water-tight. I will also be installing another window (much larger than the one on there), and a roof vent. The interior floor and walls are finished but not the galley. It was awesome to actually get to try it out.

We had driven about 1/2 an hour though when I stopped to check everything and found that a dust cap was missing from one of the hubs. Luckly, I had bought two trailers (a 3ft by 4 ft just for taking trash to the dump). So, we headed back home and I did a quick cleanup and re-grease before putting the new cap on. That one was really loose too though. The hub just seems to be a bit "out of spec". I used duct tape to keep it on for the 3 hour trip. Today, I called HF and ordered 5 more dust caps (at only $1 each, I figured that I should get a few spares).

I was thinking about upgrading to 5-lug hubs anyway though. I've heard that 5 lugs would be rated for highway speeds but that the 4-lug is only rated for 55mph. Has anyone tried out these hubs on a HF trailer?

http://www.easternmarine.com/em_showroom/tech_pdf/turbo_lube/home.html

They look really neat, they're not too expensive ($38.99 at Northern Tool) and they say that they reduce friction so much that it actually increases gas mileage. They may pay for themselves pretty quickly in increased bearing life and fuel efficiency. Do they look like they'll work on the HF axle?

Here are a few photos from the camping trip:

Image Image Image

~Lindsey
The difference between being involved and being commited is like eggs and bacon - the chicken was involved but the pig was commited.

http://www.teardrop.myphotoalbum.com
lmh222
Teardrop Advisor

Postby toypusher » Tue Jun 28, 2005 4:33 pm

Lindsey,

I have not used the hubs, nor do I know anything about them. I just wanted to say that your tear looks :awesome:

Kerry
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby emiller » Tue Jun 28, 2005 4:35 pm

8) You should try bending out the lip of the dust caps just s bit with some pliers or put a touch of silicone on the lip to keep it on.
emiller
Donating Member

Postby lmh222 » Tue Jun 28, 2005 4:45 pm

Great, thanks for the tip! I tried bending them a bit but I was afraid that it would ruin the seal between the cap and the hubs and make them practially useless anyway.

I regretted getting the lighter trailer as soon as I realized that it meant slower speed tires so I have been thinking about upgrading the hubs for a while anyway. This was pretty much just the straw that broke the camel's back. This tip should help me for now though so that there's no particular rush to do to the hub change.

~Lindsey
The difference between being involved and being commited is like eggs and bacon - the chicken was involved but the pig was commited.

lmh222
Teardrop Advisor

Postby davel » Tue Jun 28, 2005 6:10 pm

Lindsey wrote:
I was thinking about upgrading to 5-lug hubs anyway though. I've heard that 5 lugs would be rated for highway speeds but that the 4-lug is only rated for 55mph. Has anyone tried out these hubs on a HF trailer?

Lindsey,

We just went from Ennis, TX to Minden with the same hubs. We averaged 65 to 70 the whole trip. We didn't have any problems with these hubs, they never even got warm. I think it's been mentioned in earlier posts that these speed ratings are really more of a liability type thing for the manufacturer. We now have over 3500 miles on ours and no troubles at all.
davel
Donating Member

Postby Cary Winch » Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:37 pm

Lindsey,

Before going and buying the 5 lugs make sure that you have the same size spindles. There are two spindle sizes found on the small axles and the 5 holes are generally for the larger of the two. Being that the larger spindles are only found on 2000lb axles I would guess the HF axles are the smaller diameter.

Cary
Cary Winch
Teardrop Manufacturer

Postby lmh222 » Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:52 pm

I checked the spindle with dial calipers and came up with 1". It seems that I've read some other posts about 1" spindle size elsewhere on this board. Of course, if the other option is 1 1/16, I just really hope that my measurement was accurate.

The bearings say 30205 on them. That seems to match what was said in the other posts that also referenced a 1" spindle size.

~Lindsey

lmh222
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Cary Winch » Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:23 pm

Lindsey,

I believe that is correct. 1" and 1 1/16" are the two sizes us teardropeers would run into. My guess was yours would be 1". Now just to verify that the hubs will indeed work with the 1". Not sure what to say there.

Cary
Cary Winch
Teardrop Manufacturer

Postby darockrider » Sun Jul 03, 2005 1:41 am

Loads of cars on the road with 4lug hubs...........most seem to exceed the 55mph limit reg?? I run 4lug rims 5.70 by 8" on my mini teardrop and I have no issue what so ever , speed or otherwise. My large teardrop (under construction) also has 4lug 12" wheels. Both trailers are pictured in my album DAROCKRIDER
darockrider
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Cary Winch » Sun Jul 03, 2005 5:04 pm

Ah, it is not the 4 lug hub or wheel that is the offending object here. There are 4 lug hubs that are speed rated and 4 lugs that are not. Same goes for the 12" wheels. Some are not meant to do highway speeds and are meant just for going to the local dump on saturdays. Typically the little utility trailer kits are not speed rated parts but most of the hubs you see in the catalogs are. No idea why.

Cary
Cary Winch
Teardrop Manufacturer

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques