Uniflex and CPES Estimate

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Postby toypusher » Thu Jun 30, 2005 3:27 pm

Now, Now, boys! Are we a little off topic here? :shock: Thought this thread was about Uniflex and CPES??? I was started by Tom, so I guess he can take it where ever he wants. :lol: :lol:

Kerry
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby IraRat » Fri Jul 01, 2005 7:52 am

I think Steinbrenner just bought the Uniflex company, and Dr. Rot is now sunning himself in Bermuda.

That's why I brought it up.

By the way, Tom--if my birch doesn't arrive today, I'm gonna be real aggravated. I really don't have much to DO over the 3-day weekend, building-wise, besides getting the roof skins varnished and ready. (I'm not organized like you and can't start working on the interior cabinets yet.) Maybe I can pre-cut the insulation and do the kerfs (by hand), but that doesn't sound like a lot of fun.

Can you think of any reason not to install the exterior side skins yet, once I get over my stain-matching hurdle? Like, for the galley cabinets, will I have to drill in from the exterior at all, preventing me from putting those skins up now?
--Ira

"My HD and Wal-Mart have been out of Titebond for weeks, and I think it's a communist conspiracy."
IraRat
Forum Storyteller

Postby TomS » Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:41 pm

Actually, I was about to ask what kind of epoxy I should buy to glue Stienbrenners' checkbook shut.

Hey at least we're not talking religion. God forbid!

On the cabin cabinets, I drove all my screws from the inside. For the galley, I'll need to drive some from the outside since the galley side walls are only 3/8 inch thck. I would not mount the your exterior skins until almost the very end. Less chance of damaging them.

You could kerf that the insulation with a straight edge and a knife. All you're doing really is providing a straight line so it breaks cleanly.

You could pick up some pine and start your interior cabinet frames.

You could start on your exterior doors.

Have you wired your tail and side marker lights yet?

If you're feeling really brave, you could start on your galley hatch frame. I started mine this morning. That little chore will keep you busy for a while.
Tom Swenson
[email protected]
TomS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby IraRat » Fri Jul 01, 2005 1:08 pm

TomS wrote:
You could kerf that the insulation with a straight edge and a knife.

You could pick up some pine and start your interior cabinet frames.

You could start on your exterior doors.

Have you wired your tail and side marker lights yet?

If you're feeling really brave, you could start on your galley hatch frame.

NO INSULATION YET!!! TOO BORING!!! AND YES, I"M GONNA USE A BLADE...SO I MIGHT GET A BOO-BOO!!! (Also, since I can't set the pieces in yet without the interior ceiling, I figured I would have to wait. Also again, after hearing your "sagging" comments about the bending birch, I've been seriously considering adding additional single spars (not double-laminated) between the existing spars. This would fix any sag problems.)

ARRRGHHHH! I GOT THAT CABNIETY PINE ALREADY, BUT I DON'T WANT TO FRAME ANY CABINETS UNTIL THE INTERIOR CEILING SKINS ARE UP!!!

DOORS!!!???? I NEED DOORS??? NO WAY!!! ABSOLUTE LAST THING I'M DOING!!! UNTIL I GET THE EXTERIOR SKINS ON AND THE OPENINGS ARE BOTH RASPED NICELY, I CAN'T GET MY FINAL MEASUREMENTS TO WORK FROM ANYWAY!!!

RUNNING LIGHTS??? AS OF MY "NOW" PLANS, ALL OF MY RUNNING LIGHTS ARE GOING ON THE STEEL TRAILER, NOTHING ON THE TD!!! (But you're right about this. Problem is, I really want to do this later too. Right before my exterior trim goes up, where I can make final route decisions.)

GALLEY??? HATCH??? NO--I'M NOT THAT BRAVE!!! NO GALLEY HATCH YET!!! (And if things keep going the way they're going, I may wind up cooking my meals over a candle in the cabin.)

Sorry about the all caps, but it was the best way to properly express my emotions right now as all of these tasks merge together.

I feel like a teenage girl with raging hormones who's about to give it up for the first time--yes, the stress is that great. My apologies to all of the fathers and mothers of teenage girls here. But especially the fathers.

Some builders, like Tom, use logic and reason to approach all of this. I myself find that raw, unfettered emotions and outbursts suit my building style better.
--Ira

"My HD and Wal-Mart have been out of Titebond for weeks, and I think it's a communist conspiracy."
IraRat
Forum Storyteller

Previous

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques