building for real

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

building for real

Postby madjack » Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:03 pm

...as many of you know(and for those who don't) my partner(building/business) and I have been prototyping the Alligator Tear. We have had no plans but the demented thoughts and ramblings of the two of us. We have built, disassembled and rebuilt the A/T 7 or 8 times as we tried various techniques/designs....finally we are doing final assembly using glue and screws(sure hope it's all in the right place)
There are new pics here
or click on my www button and checkout glued and screwed
All wood pieces were prefinished on bench and using 1 or .75 in x 1/16 aluminum angle as cleats and mounted with gorilla glue and screws, the pieces were assembled in about 2/3 hrs from bare frame to what is presently displayed
It has taken us long enough to get to this point and longer still to finish as we deal with the day to day grind of getting by...phew
madjack 8)
Last edited by madjack on Thu Jun 30, 2005 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Woody » Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:23 pm

Madjack,
Pretty cool, I like the front box design. Good work :thumbsup:
Woody
The Tear Jerker's, Florida Chapter Director
E-mail: [email protected]
Tear jerker chapter site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Check the SE section for gathering information
Tear Jerkers new site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Enjoying life in 12 ounce increments is what it's about
Woody
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby madjack » Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:29 pm

...thanks. Obviously we borrowed the basic idea for the front box from Camp-Inn...some ideas are just to good to pass up
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Woody » Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:36 pm

No kidding, I hadn't made the connection. Say the lower openings on the box exterior, are those for surplus bread bag storage :lol: :lol:
Woody
Woody
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby An Ol Timer » Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:40 pm

Very nice! I like the front box design but I'm even more impressed with the profile. Taking some time to do some beforehand design work has really paid off with a unique design!
An Ol Timer
Teardrop Master

Postby Guest » Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:52 pm

Madjack,
That's looking good... :thumbsup:
I hope you two are able to get the time to come out to Pamplin Grove next summer.

Postby madjack » Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:57 pm

Dean in Eureka, CA wrote:Madjack,
That's looking good... :thumbsup:
I hope you two are able to get the time to come out to Pamplin Grove next summer.

...don't know about my building partner(Idaho is about as far west as he cares to get) BUT my wife(the poor girl) and I sure hope to get out to the Redwood country and maybe meet some of you West Coasters
madjack 8)
madjack
Site Admin

Postby madjack » Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:01 pm

...Woody, the way you miss connections makes me go hmmmmm and yes the lower box is an excellent place to store your extra baggies along with your masked trashcan bandit repellent device

...Ol' Timer, we had a 4' wide roll of kraft paper and just keptdrawing full sized profiles until we said "yeah...that's it"
madjack 8)
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Woody » Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:26 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: Don't forget the pink plastic flamingo on a stick repellant also :lol: :lol:
Woody
Woody
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby bledsoe3 » Thu Jun 30, 2005 1:35 am

Jack, Very cool profile. I like that you covered the frame with the side walls. You also have the same wheels I bought for mine. Keep the pictures coming.
:thumbsup: :applause:
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.
bledsoe3
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby IraRat » Thu Jun 30, 2005 7:48 am

Cool! And I love that front box!

The problem I'm having with mine is figuring out how to support it properly. The A section of my tongue sits at least 6 inches below the level of the floor. Gotta figure out exactly how I'm going to build up that section over the tongue to support the weight of the AC.
--Ira

"My HD and Wal-Mart have been out of Titebond for weeks, and I think it's a communist conspiracy."
IraRat
Forum Storyteller

Postby toypusher » Thu Jun 30, 2005 7:56 am

IraRat wrote:Cool! And I love that front box!

The problem I'm having with mine is figuring out how to support it properly. The A section of my tongue sits at least 6 inches below the level of the floor. Gotta figure out exactly how I'm going to build up that section over the tongue to support the weight of the AC.

Ira,

3/4" plywood should be plenty strong for the weight of the A/C. Just make the floor of the tongue box out of it.

Kerry
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby SteveH » Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:01 am

Look'n good, Jack. I like it! :thumbsup:

Ira,

Just and FYI, or food for thought, or whatever, I've seen the Camp-Inn and their front box is actually part of the trailer body and built on the same floor with the body. Wish I had seen it before I built mine. :oops:
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby IraRat » Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:08 am

Kerry, do you mean just make the box out of 3/4 ply, and then put a 3/4 shelf in there that the exterior of the AC sits on? Or use brackets to support the AC?
--Ira

"My HD and Wal-Mart have been out of Titebond for weeks, and I think it's a communist conspiracy."
IraRat
Forum Storyteller

Postby toypusher » Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:57 am

Ira,

I was just saying that the 3/4" should support the weight and allow you to bolt it directly to the 'A' frame part of the tongue. If the A/C needs to be up a little higher then just put a shelf in there to support it. The shelf would not need to be 3/4", I believe that 3/8" or 1/2" shoud do fine for a shelf inside a box with the 3/4" bottom and you could support the shelf with whatever width material you needed (I would suggest at least 3/4" solid stock on edge to support the shelf).

Kerry

P.S. If I can get some free time and can remember to do it, I will make a drawing or two of what I am talking about.
toypusher
Site Admin

Next

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques