Frame design...

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Frame design...

Postby Shrug53 » Mon Jun 28, 2004 12:08 am

OK here is my 6x9 frame design. I am going to have it welded up by a pro along with the axle, coupler, etc., so I can just tow it home.
The wheel openings are a bit large as I plan on using a pair of 15x5.5 rally rims the same as I have on my 53 Chevy (original 1955 equipment).
I have left a large open spot in the front to fit a dropped floor.
The frame will be built with satndard 2x2 11ga. steel tubing (I think).
Let me know if it looks sturdy enough:

"Better living through reckless experimentation"
http://www.forgottenclassics.com
Shrug53
500 Club

Postby tdthinker » Mon Jun 28, 2004 10:40 am

Welding is a very strong art form but I have seen most trailers with the A frame coupler that the A frame continues under the bed till it meets at least the longest bars that go under the wholl thing which for you should only have to keep going about a foot more. Sorry if this sounds confusing :( Ok, bye
Ryan
tdthinker
500 Club

Postby mikeschn » Mon Jun 28, 2004 10:44 am

Ryan is right... you have a stress riser where your tongue meets the platform. You need to extend you tongue tube until it hits the next platform tube!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Shrug53 » Mon Jun 28, 2004 11:15 am

Uhm... what?
Shrug53
500 Club

Postby jimqpublic » Mon Jun 28, 2004 11:43 am

They meant extend the tongue A-frame tubes until they meet the main lengthwise frame rails. The entire length of the A-frame and the main lengthwise frame tubes should be uncut for maximum strength and to keep everything straight during assembly.

I suggest crawling around under some tent trailers at the local dealer to review designs. In addition to the modification suggested above, consider these:

--Except for the rear bumper use 1"x2" angle instead of 2" box. You don't need as much strength in these areas, it's lighter, and most importantly you can through-bolt the angle.
--[s]Add an additional cross member between the main frame rails halfway down the 54" dimension. This will reduce floor flex and allow lighter flooring material (3/8" or 1/2" max.)[/s]OOPS- just read where you plan to have a dropped floor, can't put a cross member there of course.
--The outboard lengthwise frame members don't really do much and are probably completely unneeded. Even 30' long trailers don't have them. If you're using plywood for the walls and floor you will have plenty of stiffness already. The only place I'd consider keeping them is under your side door(s) if they will be close to full height.
--Have the frame maker pre-drill the angle iron for your bolts. It's quick and easy using a drill press before assembly, a lot more work after assembly.
--Have the frame maker title (license) the trailer frame, including a cheapie set of throwaway lights. This saves you the hassle, makes trailering home legal, lets you move it mid-construction, and you won't have to convince a DMV inspector that your creation is roadworthy.

Disclaimer- I'm neither a structural engineer nor have I actually built a trailer.
Jim
2002 Chalet Arrowhead but always wanted a Teardrop
2 kids and a Dear Wife
http://community.webshots.com/user/jimqpublic
jimqpublic
The 300 Club

Postby Shrug53 » Mon Jun 28, 2004 12:07 pm

I am not sure why but I am having trouble wrapping my head around this one. Perhaps if somebody could whip up a sketch for me?
I like the idea of the 1x2 angle (means I could probably bolt the whole thing together rather than having to have it welded) and I imagine it would be quite a bit lighter.
For those outboard rails, are you saying I can just stick with a 4' wide bed and then just extend the plywood out? This would really simplifiy everything as I could just buy a Harbor Freight 4x8 trailer and build my 6x9 wooden frame right on top of it.
If I do that would 2x2 lumber be good, or is that to small or big?
I will try to sketch this out using the Harbor Freight and see how it looks.

Thanks so far for all the useful info!
Shrug53
500 Club

Postby jimqpublic » Mon Jun 28, 2004 12:39 pm

Shrug53 wrote:I am not sure why but I am having trouble wrapping my head around this one. Perhaps if somebody could whip up a sketch for me?

Just extend the diagonal frame members from the tongue past the front cross member and till they hit the lengthwise main frame rails, probably less than 1'. This would slightly reduce the area you can have the dropped floor. Otherwise the front cross member will tend to twist from the torque imparted by the tongue. Another way to do it is have the A-frame run UNDER the rest of the frame. That way the front cross member would be continuous for strength and straightness and the A-frame would pass under it (welded together) and then get welded to the bottom of the main lengthwise frame member.

Also with the "outriggers", it's probably best that they not line up exactly with the cross members between the frame rails. Welding can weaken or warp steel, so by not welding onto both sides of the main frame at the same place you might avoid some problems. You will also be able to independantly locate the outriggers and cross members based on where each needs to be. Sorry this is probably confusing.

I like the idea of the 1x2 angle (means I could probably bolt the whole thing together rather than having to have it welded)

No! Still has to be welded or it will be VERY flimsy.

and I imagine it would be quite a bit lighter.
Yes, and more appropriately designed.

For those outboard rails, are you saying I can just stick with a 4' wide bed and then just extend the plywood out?

No, what I call the "outriggers" are still needed with that much overhang. Otherwise the weight of the walls would be pushing right down on the ends of the floor plywood and cause the edges to flex down. In fact I suggest adding an extra set of outriggers halfway between the front and the wheel well.

This would really simplifiy everything as I could just buy a Harbor Freight 4x8 trailer and build my 6x9 wooden frame right on top of it.

You could, but there are some problems with that-
--"Outriggers" would still need to be welded on. Not a big problem as the materials for 5 outriggers on each side would probably only be $20 and labor shouldn't be over an hour or two.
--Springs are probably way too stiff. Again not an insurmountable problem since new, lighter, trailer springs are only about $30 or so.
--Wheel lugs probably wouldn't fit your classic wheels.
--Axle is probably located too far forward for a teardrop. With a teardrop a very large part of the weight is the kitchen and cabinets at the very rear. Note where the axles are in most teardrop photos, probably 2/3 of the way back vs. about 1/2 way for most utility trailers. A welding shop could cut off the spring hangers and move them back pretty easily of course.

If I do that would 2x2 lumber be good, or is that to small or big?

For what? I like the idea of using the steel trailer platform for all the floor framing and "frameless" plywood construction for virtually everything else.
Last edited by jimqpublic on Mon Jun 28, 2004 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim
2 kids and a Dear Wife
jimqpublic
The 300 Club

Postby Shrug53 » Mon Jun 28, 2004 12:48 pm

Actually if I went witht hte harbor freight trailer I would just go ahead and use the 12" wheels. What I have been considering is building a frame to fit the size. The combination of something like a 1x2 beam sanwiched between 2 1/4" floorboards (filled with insulation) should give me plenty of structural strength. A sketch will follow shortly.
Shrug53
500 Club

Postby jimqpublic » Mon Jun 28, 2004 1:02 pm

Okay now I understand. It would certainly be heavier that way. I'd remove the plywood from the Harbor Freight trailer to save some weight. Regarding axle placement if the tongue is long enough your 9' body could hang 1' off the front of the 4x8 trailer to effectively shift the axle back. I would guess that the stock axle location is probably about 8" behind the centerline of the platform, based on a Home Depot trailer that I checked out a couple years ago.

I know the Harbor Freight trailer is easy and cheaper, but I really think a purpose designed frame will make construction easier, look better, and be lighter for not much more money.
Jim
2 kids and a Dear Wife
jimqpublic
The 300 Club

Postby Shrug53 » Mon Jun 28, 2004 1:16 pm

OK here is the sketch. If I used 1x2 wood for the frame, and even just 1/4" plywood for the top and bottom (to sandwich in the insulation) It really seems like it would be strong enough.
Because of the way the trailer itself assembles I can easily reposition the axle but because of the double frame in the middle (where the two halves bolt together) I lose a little dropped floor space (but still enough for my needs).

Shrug53
500 Club

Postby Shrug53 » Mon Jun 28, 2004 2:02 pm

Here is my 6x9 (actually 10 if you count in the front overhang) design to fit the Harbor Freight 4x8 trailer.

Shrug53
500 Club

Postby MikeM » Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:17 pm

Tony,

A couple of suggestions:

First, by having a frame custom made for you, and putting a Harbor Freight trailer under it creates added weight and redundancy in framing.

Second, by recessing the wheel wells you are crowding in on you sleeping area. Unless you are raising the bed up over the wheel wells.

Your material for the tongue will need to extend under the trailer father than what you have drawn. The weight of the trailer plus the flexing from the bouncing on the road will create a weak joint between your trailer frame and the tongue.

I've been there done that. I will try to post an illustration of this from my own utility trailer.

Just take the diagonal tubes on your tongue and extend them under the trailer frame. It will crowd your foot well. But, its a little big to be able to sit around.

Better to be reckless now than after its built.

Good luck,
Mike

p.s. : I don't understand where you get the 2 1/4" material dimension from.
MikeM
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Shrug53 » Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:38 pm

No. you misunderstand I am not going to have a harbor freight and a custom frame, just one or the other. The frame you see above (in brown) is made from wood beams 1"x2".
Also the floor plywood is not 2 and 1/4" it is two 1/4" boards.
You will also see in the last frame drawing (with the wood) that the tongue has been extended, and is, in fact, how it comes from harbor freight.
If you look at the tear picture side view you will see that the dinette seat at the front and storage box at the back will form the base of the bed. The table lowers to sit on the lip. You then use cushions or an inflatable over the top to get a queen sized sleeping area.
Because the trailer is 6' wide and the table is only 42" wide (from the driver side wall) I will still need to add a 30"x30" board to complete the sleep area (kind of like Mike has in his Benroy).

Anyway, in this sandwich configuration for the floor I will get great structural strength and the whole floor will only be 1.5" thick.
Shrug53
500 Club

Postby tdthinker » Tue Jun 29, 2004 11:53 pm

As long as you watch your stress points you should be ok.
Ryan
tdthinker
500 Club

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques