herculiner use???

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

herculiner use???

Postby cguardsman » Thu Jun 30, 2005 3:21 pm

As i am new to this site and trying to collect ideas before starting my build has any one tried using herculiner for their roof covering??? :thinking: also..has anyone tried one of the portable a/c units that can be moved from room to room in a home??
Craig
cguardsman
Teardrop Master

Postby toypusher » Thu Jun 30, 2005 3:24 pm

Look at some of the pics from Minden, there is a blue teardrop that is totally covered tin Rhioliner. It looks great.

I have a Maytag 'freestanding' A/C at home that does not have a resevoir to empty, but it is quite heavy and combursome. I don't think that it would work well in a teardrop.

Kerry
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby cguardsman » Thu Jun 30, 2005 3:31 pm

i saw the rinoliner tear and thought that one could probably use herculiner only for the roof of it but, have never worked with the herculiner and wanted an experienced opinion if there were any here....as far as the a/c units i have seen several that were fairly light and had the capacity to drain through a hose.....like i said just trying to figure things out ahead of time ;)
Craig
cguardsman
Teardrop Master

Postby Ken A Hood » Thu Jun 30, 2005 4:03 pm

Here's a similiar product. I'm waiting on more info from them. Looking at the multiple uses, it looks almost bullet-proof...
LINK
Disclaimer: I in no way resemble the avatar shown. Furthermore, I in no way have any affiliation to the Trailer Park Boys and more specifically Bubbles!
Ken A Hood
500 Club

Postby gman » Thu Jun 30, 2005 4:13 pm

The do it yourself (Herculiner) comes in black only, the have it sprayed on (Rhino) stuff if very expensive, I got a quote of $600 to do the inside walls and floor of my 6'x 54" pickup box, about the same area as the roof of the tear. Color was another $100.
Junk is something you've kept for years
And throw away three weeks before you need it.
gman
The 300 Club

Postby Ken A Hood » Thu Jun 30, 2005 4:23 pm

The Durabak product comes in several colors, has rough and smooth textures available, AND can be order with added UV protection....
It weighs only 10lb/gallon as well, and 1 gallon covers approx. 60sq. ft.

FACT SHEET
Disclaimer: I in no way resemble the avatar shown. Furthermore, I in no way have any affiliation to the Trailer Park Boys and more specifically Bubbles!
Ken A Hood
500 Club

Postby cguardsman » Thu Jun 30, 2005 4:47 pm

gman wrote:The do it yourself (Herculiner) comes in black only, the have it sprayed on (Rhino) stuff if very expensive, I got a quote of $600 to do the inside walls and floor of my 6'x 54" pickup box, about the same area as the roof of the tear. Color was another $100.

herculiner site also lists white and grey.......line-x and rinoliner are way high and i want something i can do myself. i really liked the look of the one in the photos from Minden.
Craig
cguardsman
Teardrop Master

Postby dahoon » Fri Jul 01, 2005 1:27 am

I have been to that side of the mountain.

I used Herculiner on my pick up box. Two things to avoid: 1) direct sunlight & 2) below 80 degrees gives you more working time.

I also sell Herculiner. It would work great for a roof material. It comes in three colors: Black, Grey and White. the two latter colors are fairly new.
The gallon kit will run you around $100 +/- and comes with a tray, roller, gloves, etc.
It also comes in quarts for $30 +/-. And those are seprate not in a kit.

If your surface is clean and dry it seems to stick to everything. I had let it wear off my hands and its held up well in my truck too.
dahoon
Teardrop Master

Postby madjack » Fri Jul 01, 2005 1:48 am

...as for A/C have you seen the PET COOL
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby IraRat » Fri Jul 01, 2005 7:39 am

Ken A Hood wrote:The Durabak product comes in several colors, has rough and smooth textures available, AND can be order with added UV protection....

FACT SHEET

That stuff looks great as a covering for the sides too--not just for the roof. An alternative to Uniflex?? I think Durabak's rough coating may be great to hide any surface imperfections, whereas with Uniflex, I think you need a really smooth, perfect surface, since it'll show everything.
--Ira

"My HD and Wal-Mart have been out of Titebond for weeks, and I think it's a communist conspiracy."
IraRat
Forum Storyteller

Postby cguardsman » Fri Jul 01, 2005 9:14 am

madjack wrote:...as for A/C have you seen the PET COOL
madjack 8)

yes i have looked at the pet kool site and am impressed but not $400 impressed! :shock: i am looking for a more low buck alternative i do like the way you can duct the pet kool in though!
Craig
cguardsman
Teardrop Master

Postby cguardsman » Fri Jul 01, 2005 9:16 am

IraRat wrote:
Ken A Hood wrote:The Durabak product comes in several colors, has rough and smooth textures available, AND can be order with added UV protection....

FACT SHEET

That stuff looks great as a covering for the sides too--not just for the roof. An alternative to Uniflex?? I think Durabak's rough coating may be great to hide any surface imperfections, whereas with Uniflex, I think you need a really smooth, perfect surface, since it'll show everything.

it looks as though the durabak comes in a smooth type too!
Craig
cguardsman
Teardrop Master

Postby Guest » Sun Jul 03, 2005 1:31 pm

Dahoon,
I finally saw a commercial about Herculiner...
I've had a bad experience with powder coating... I'm currently "advertising" for a local powder coating company that didn't want to correct a bad powder coating job on my glass racks... I figure I've got about another year before rust gets the best of my glass racks and I have to replace them...
Do you think Herculiner would work as a good coating to protect the frame?

Postby WoodSmith » Sun Jul 03, 2005 3:46 pm

Dean in Eureka, CA wrote:Dahoon,
I finally saw a commercial about Herculiner...
I've had a bad experience with powder coating... I'm currently "advertising" for a local powder coating company that didn't want to correct a bad powder coating job on my glass racks... I figure I've got about another year before rust gets the best of my glass racks and I have to replace them...
Do you think Herculiner would work as a good coating to protect the frame?

I would not use herculiner personally. Here's my story:

I bought a new F150 in July of 99, shortly thereafter I paid (I think) $400 to have a Line-X liner sprayed in. I LOVE it. I've had firewood, 8' long 20" diameter cedar logs, mulch, you name it, in there and there is not one place where it has worn through. I think there is one place where I managed to dig a shovel point into it and took out a small chip, I've spilled some paint on it during a dump run that hasn't come off, It has faded a little bit, but otherwise it looks and performs as well now as it did almost 6 years ago when it was brandy new.

On the other hand, my neighbor up the street bought a used Dakota pickup a couple years later. He and his FIL decided they would use Herculiner to protect his bed. They applied it per the instructions (as far as I know, I wasn't there). He uses his truck more as a commuter and less as a hauler. Both trucks are parked outside, on the same side of the street with virtually no shade. You can see the white paint showing through his liner in a LOT of different places. Even on the sidewalls inside the bed where you would not expect wear. He has called the company and they are sending him some more to reapply.

I don't know how well either job was preped as I didn't watch either of them. But I can say without hesitation that my Line-X has taken more abuse for a longer time and looks beter than his Herculiner.
Glen Smith
Build Journal
WoodSmith
Donating Member

Postby asianflava » Sun Jul 03, 2005 4:34 pm

I didn't want to post any negative posts about Herculiner until someone with first hand experience did. I don't have any first hand experience with Herculiner, just stories from others who have.

The conclusion I came to was that the DIY stuff is no where as good as Line-X and Rhino. I know people who have had Line-X and Rhino in their trucks for years.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Next

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques