Is this a good trailer?

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Postby Woody » Fri Jul 01, 2005 6:20 pm

I am a fraid that there is a little more to up grading tire sizes and hubs than just changing spindles. Although I am unfamiliar with the HF trailer. Almost all spindles are welded to the metal axles, it would be kinda hard to change them as readily as has been stated. It has been my experince that the larger wheel and hub assemblies are as a rule have larger or different diminsions for spindles also. Making a complete axle swap more of a reality, than just changing hubs from 4 to 5 lug. If it were that easy I would not have had to change mine to upsize the tire to a 5 lug 15 inch wheel.
Woody
The Tear Jerker's, Florida Chapter Director
E-mail: [email protected]
Tear jerker chapter site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Check the SE section for gathering information
Tear Jerkers new site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Enjoying life in 12 ounce increments is what it's about
Woody
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby bledsoe3 » Fri Jul 01, 2005 6:46 pm

First of all, I like to overbuild anyway. So I couldn't go with a HF trailer. I just pulled my trailer for the first time today. I have around $500 into mine. That includes a torsion axle. I feel a lot better with it.

If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.
bledsoe3
3000 Club
3000 Club

Re: bolt tog

Postby JunkMan » Fri Jul 01, 2005 7:28 pm

Ben W wrote:So...finally to the question, with no welding experience, I'm going to solicit bids on Craigslist. What should I expect to pay for custom a 5x8, with a tortion axle?':thinking:

I just got a 900 pound Torsional axel from Redneck (just north of Denver) about $160, Coupler $15-20, steel $125-150 (I had mine left over from other projects, but this is what I figure I would have paid), plus tires & wheels (I got mine from a junk yard, came off an 80's Toyota pick up) and welders fee.

I would guess you are probably looking at about $500 to have one made?

Too bad my son got transferred from Denver, I used to get down there quite often, and may have been willing to weld you one up. Not sure when I will get down that way again.
Jeff & Odie
Black Hills of South Dakota
JunkMan
500 Club

Postby webbedouin » Sat Jul 02, 2005 4:13 pm

Building a tear drop on the 1450# version of that HF trailer and have considered larger wheels. This is where to look:

http://www.wheelvintiques.com/

If they don't have it, they'll build them to fit and they are not terribly expensive on their basic designs.

And a larger wheel on the same axle will spin slower.

Good tip for hot rodders also...
webbedouin
Teardrop Builder

Still looking for a frame...

Postby Julie » Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:15 pm

Hi All,

We’re at this point now. My husband and I have no welding experience. (Yes, we’ve built projects together and just celebrated our 25th anniversary). Except for the two frames you’ve mentioned, I’m finding frames from $950-$1700. That’s more than we’d anticipated for the frame. I’m not thinking we’ve found the frame yet. Ben W. how did your soliciting for bids on Craigslist go? Anyone have suggestions for the first time builders?
Thanks for the input,
Julie
:thinking:
I’m thinking this is way easier than herding cats.
Julie
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Laredo » Sat Aug 06, 2005 1:54 pm

Really O L D Mopar hotrodders' tip: salvage yard axle assemblies (and yeah, get wheels with, but make sure they're round; this is the place to pick up your spare as well). Economy-wise, if you can get ones that match your tow vehicle, so much the better.

You can get a minivan/k-car back axle assembly with two rims starting at $50 over the net (plus tax and shipping); if you go to a "pull your own" boneyard you'll save the shipping (and maybe the tax and a sawbuck on the price).
Mopar's what my busted knuckles bleed, working on my 318s...
Laredo
Donating Member

Re: bolt tog

Postby purplepickup » Sat Aug 06, 2005 3:57 pm

Ben W wrote:I live in Colorado - lots of mountains and dirt roads, and I'll be hooking it to a my Land Rover, so it may want to go off road a bit.

So...finally to the question, with no welding experience, I'm going to solicit bids on Craigslist. What should I expect to pay for custom a 5x8, with a tortion axle?':thinking:

I've got a friend in Berthoud, just north of Denver that would probably be willing to make a trailer for you. If you want I can ask him if he's interested and you two can negotiate a price if he's willing. He's a fair guy and does good work.
:)
George
:)
purplepickup
Silver Donating Member

wheel Size

Postby wentzzee » Fri Sep 23, 2005 3:13 pm

The argument of wheel size and highway speeds may have some merit but I guess its from a certian perspective. Having driven 18 wheelers for 5 1/2 million accident free miles I would noy claim to be an expert but the highway GVW for one is 80,000 lbs. Highway trailers have 24, 22, 20, and 15 inch tires and wheels. Try to tell some guy in a big Pete pulling a drop deck flat or down the interstate at 80 mph that his trailer tires wont take long trips or hi speed............................................So I kinda figger the debate between 12" or other sizes are moot as long as they are highwayb rated
All Reality Starts with a Dream
wentzzee
Teardrop Builder

Postby len19070 » Fri Sep 23, 2005 6:11 pm

I used a Harbor Freight Trailer. Not a Stock one but one none the less. And for 2 reasons. HF is close to me, and It comes with a "Certificate of origin" Thats very important in Pa. I generally use a different Axel and hubs and that answers all the "Little wheel/High speed bearing/it looks funny with 12" wheels/5 lugs over 4/now I can find different wheels" problems.

I replace the HF running gear with this

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/ ... 766&R=7766

And then sell the HF running gear, wheels and light kit on ebay.
Happy Trails

Len
Last edited by len19070 on Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:peace: :peace: :peace: :peace: :peace:
http://s26.photobucket.com/user/len1907 ... 20trailers

"If you do good things, good things will happen to you"..... Earl Hickey
len19070
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Mitheral » Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:52 pm

DANL wrote:I've got a Harbor Freight 1175# trailer on raincheck. Has anyone added Bearing Buddies to this axle? Is it possible? I would feel a lot better about long trips with Bearing Buddies and a load of grease in place.

I've got a boat trailer with 8" wheels that has been across the country and many other long distance trips cruising at 70 plus MPH with no problems thanks to the Bearing Buddies.

Anybody know what size BBs to use?

I doubt BB are worth the cost on teardrops if you just repack at the start of your season and every few thousand miles after that.

The thing that makes them practically a requirement on boat trailers (Nice warm bearing getting dunked into cold lake therefor sucking up water into the bearing) doesn't happen on teardrops.
Mitheral
Teardrop Master

Re: wheel Size

Postby Mitheral » Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:54 pm

wentzzee wrote:So I kinda figger the debate between 12" or other sizes are moot as long as they are highwayb rated

They are highway rated, but many of them only 55.

A real problem is a) the bearings don't get taken care of and b) people overload travel trailers something fierce.
Mitheral
Teardrop Master

Postby Chip » Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:05 pm

Question or observation ,,on the Northern tool Catalog,, they make a 4 on 4 hub and a 5 on 4.5 hub with the same size inner and outer bearings,,, would a person not be able to change out the 4 lug to the 5 lug if the bearing sizes are identical,, would it not mean the spindle is the same for both or is there something else that I am missing???? curious minds want to know,, well this one does anyway

chipper :thumbsup: :thinking:
Living large,,,travling small !!!
54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Serro Scotty rebuild(in progress)
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Nitetimes » Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:22 pm

Chip wrote:Question or observation ,,on the Northern tool Catalog,, they make a 4 on 4 hub and a 5 on 4.5 hub with the same size inner and outer bearings,,, would a person not be able to change out the 4 lug to the 5 lug if the bearing sizes are identical,, would it not mean the spindle is the same for both or is there something else that I am missing???? curious minds want to know,, well this one does anyway

chipper :thumbsup: :thinking:

I would say that axle has the same hubs just with a different bolt pattern. However it depends on wether they use a standard bearing and hub if you could get them from anywhere but NT
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby Chip » Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:27 pm

Rich,, after refering to my super dupper tractor supply reference book,, it looks like they got the same deal and I think they carry the same brand of axles and replacement hubs,,

chipper :thinking:
Living large,,,travling small !!!
54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Serro Scotty rebuild(in progress)
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Nitetimes » Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:34 pm

Chip wrote:Rich,, after refering to my super dupper tractor supply reference book,, it looks like they got the same deal and I think they carry the same brand of axles and replacement hubs,,

chipper :thinking:

If I had to take a wild guess I'd be willing to bet most of those places are selling the same axle and hubs. My only concern is a while back a few guys were having trouble getting replacement bearings cause they were metric. Most of the lite axles you get from the majority of the trailer parts suppliers will have either a 1" or 1 1/16" spindle, some of the older ones had 3/4" and I have even run across a few that had 7/8" spindles. But for the most part they are all pretty much the same. 8) 8)
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques